Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
thinner body or not, the iMac suffers 2 majors issues that need to be solved:

- fan noise / heat extraction
- "dust" under screen panel after a few months/years of use

so i hope that this is not simply a new aesthetic redesign but also a functional redesign

My iMac doesn't have either of these problems :confused: It's absolutely silent now, no fan noise. Even when encoding movies it still barely audible.

I have updated to an SSD which may be something to do with it, but even before that I don't remember it being a problem.

Dust under the screen also hasn't happened for me. Even if it did, the glass pulls right of and can be cleaned.

I really want it to look like this one

Wouldn't mind if it looked like that!

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
tweaking the 15" rMBP? :eek: i'd like some of that heat dissipation for my rMBP!

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I wonder if making it thinner means that there will be no optical drive anymore like the mac mini. I hope not, as I have loads of CDs etc. I don't want to clutter my desk with external drives.

reedlight

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I really hope they allow some serious ram to get crammed in this thing.. i'm loving 16gb in my mbp, but 32 gb ram w/ a 3.4 ghz quad, it would be in my studio immediately.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
My iMac doesn't have either of these problems :confused: It's absolutely silent now, no fan noise. Even when encoding movies it still barely audible.

I have updated to an SSD which may be something to do with it, but even before that I don't remember it being a problem.

Dust under the screen also hasn't happened for me. Even if it did, the glass pulls right of and can be cleaned.

Wouldn't mind if it looked like that!

indeed iMacs with SSD do not suffer the same problem as those with HDD

one should not have to pull the glass to clean it

we have brand new imacs in our breakroom at work which are regularly renewed

they are running 24/7 and it's a non-smoking place but we can get panel getting dusty or simply getting grey

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia
I just have a bad feeling they are going to cripple the 13" rMBP with onboard graphics only and not being able to upgrade to 16gb ram.

Would be nice if they finally gave them nVidia cards as well.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Great rumour!! I hope this is the first of the common iMac rumours before a launch.

Let's hope it's released sooner than later, I really need a new Mac, my powermac G5 is 7½ years old...

rearviewmirror

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I hope the new iMac 27" sits at the same height as the current Thunderbolt display. Other than that, I'll be getting one as soon as they're released, the waiting game could finally be over......:apple:

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I am extremely excited about a new iMac but if these Rumors/Pictures are true, that looks like a laptop drive which would be EXTREMELY disappointing. It is getting a little obnoxious the sacrifices Apple is making to performance and features, just to make things thinner and have people say WOW. Performance and features are important, not just how thin it is.

And if you can't update the RAM on your own, I am definitely OUT.

Lifequest

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
New design!? :eek:

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

A price hike could be apple making SSD standard. :cool:

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Has Apple EVER released a product in November/December holiday timeframes? If they have never than I'm sure they will just push the remaining product releases for next year. Also, I'm really hoping it will be available this month so I still have the opportunity to exchange my rMBP that I ordered and get a new iMac/rMBP 13".

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Where are our new Mac Pros?

Indeed. If there's any Apple product that deserves an update it's the Mac Pro.

Regardless, it's great to see some Mac related rumours on this website again. So tired of reading about iOS and all the melodramatics that comes with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.