2012 Olympics Logo unveiled

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AdeFowler, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

It looks like what would result if you took a hammer to mr blobby.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. iGav macrumors G3

What do you think?

... Welcome Back To 1986!!!

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

From the article:

"Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "We want London 2012 not just to be about elite sporting success."

With that attitude and that symbol, they are well on their way! Looks like 2012 will be about something other than sporting success...

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

What the feck? :confused:

What the hell does that have to do with London or the Olympics? Or anything for that matter?

Also can anyone else see a John Travolta like dancer? Head down facing right with one arm up and one arm down?

Saturday night fever baby!

7. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

8. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I'm sure there must be something relevant in all that garbage imagery.

EDIT: Ah, right... 2012.

It's still crap.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think its supposed to be:

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

wow, what overpaid son of bitch thought of this?

11. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I think we have a winner!

12. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

So did they let a three year old loose on Word 95 for two minutes or did they actually pay some ridiculous figure for this rubbish?

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

the press release says it will be "evolving in the years between now and 2012". Is that a euphemism for "we have five years to fix it"?

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That is awful, bloody awful.

I wasn't that keen on the previous logo, as used on the bid – but this new version makes that one look like a work of art. They didn't by any chance get a French designer to produce it, did they? :p

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Actually I have just thought about it and something like this will be a 'design by comittee' project so we can't really blame the designer for this pile of crap. He/she will have had to adhere to all the wishes of stupid idiots with no concept of aesthetics. Basically the designer becomes a puppet with all the suits wanting there bit in the logo.

Suits "Do this, do that"

Designer "but it will look crap"

Suit 1 "I dont care, I want it to look like a child arranged some paper cuttings in the shape of John Travolta and then stuck them on some paper... oh and it needs to say London 2012. Oh and it needs to be pink because my neice likes pink"

Suit 2 "I want some yellow in there!"

Suit 1 "Ok so put some yellow in it too. Yellow and pink are good together right?"

Designer "er well, not re..."

Suit 3 "It also needs to have the olympics logo in it"

Designer "So you want a logo within a logo?"

Suit 3 "Yep"

Designer "You do realise that when you downsize the logo you arent going to be able to read the word London or see the olympics logo very well?"

Suit 4 "Well thats your job to sort it out. But the Olympics logo needs to be small, and London needs to be in Comic Sans"

Sorry Im bored :D

17. hogmog macrumors member

In a single word - GHASTLY. According to the news article the logo "comes in a series of shades of pink, blue, green and orange and will evolve in the run-up to the Games." - not sure it will look any better in any other colour and as for evolving? Will it turn into Mr Blobby?

I have a theory that when businesses are in trouble they re-brand. In UK for example Abbey National bank - losses in money and customers -> rebrand (naff pink, red, blue etc logos (maybe same person that has done the 2012!)) -> sold off -> rebrand (new logo now looks like a Mr Whippy icecream at the seaside) - future??? Others examples include Thames Water, Thames Valley University, BP, the UK government etc.

18. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

OK, here's a challenge. Using Word or similar create a logo in 5-10 minutes and see how it compares to the one that won. I am no designer and simply emulated the original to see how long a rough copy would take, but here's mine.

Attached Files:

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

****ing hideous inexcusable and incompetent great hulking pile of steaming festering crap.

Absolutely awful. There's no excuse... this city has world-class talent. I can just imagine what Neville Brody would say...

I could do a better job in about 20 minutes. The Boob's right, though. This has come about by committee.

Disgraceful.

20. Lau Guest

I actually have an oppurtunity to go and see a talk by the head of the design agency who did this in a couple of weeks. I think it might be interesting to see what's said about it...

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It took me around 5 seconds to read the 4 digits on that logo. It should only take me a split-second glance, no?

I may not be very smart, but I do consider myself to be literate. Apparently, I have been proven wrong. :eek:

When was the last time the Olympics was about sports?

22. iGav macrumors G3

It reminds me of his early stuff. ;)

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Paint

Attached Files:

24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've just seen who it's by – Wollf Ollins. I would have expected something better from an agency with their reputation, but there you go. I think the 'designed by committee' notion is spot on.