Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Oh my. What were they thinking?

I recall with the Sydney Olympics they initially had a rainbow squiggle symbolic of the Opera House as the logo = hideous. Then closer to the event they changed it completely to the athlete made from boomerangs = vast improvement (even though I still thought it was ugly). So there may be some hope...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
As I understand it, the Olympic rings represent the inhabited continents of the world – the colours are purely decorative and aren’t supposed to symbolise any continent or country in particular.

But where they’ve got pink from is anyone’s guess.

Ahhh see I'm not going completely mad...

Wikipedia article: said:
"The Olympic flag [...] has a white background, with five interlaced rings in the centre : blue, yellow, black, green and red [...] This design is symbolic ; it represents the five continents of the world, united by Olympism, while the six colours are those that appear on all the national flags of the world at the present time." (1931) Textes choisis II, p.470.

So where are the 'pink bits' in that? :D

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
wow. just wow.
when i saw it i thought about starting a thread titled
"the amazingly ugly 2012 london logo", but i see the six hours advantage you have on your side of the pond took care of it.

could this possibly be the worst high profile logo ever? seriously, can anyone come up with anything remotely as bad? anyone?

I think it will just take for bloggers to drum up the blow job angle for a while and then they'll have to change it, because at some point that's all anyone will be able to see.
just overlay it with Lisa performing on Bart, and add a a couple of young and dynamic catch phrases:
"London '12: get excited!"
"Raising your expectations!

besides, what else could the middle 'leg' be?

here is a (cached) link to a list of olympic logos

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Apparently it's a 'multimedia brand' - i.e. self-serving bollox. Wht does it have to be a 'brand'? It's about sport. It's not some product to be sold to people.

Yep, this seems to be exactly the disconnect that has been going into the various Olympic symbols for decades now. So much effort goes into corporate branding nonsense and not enough into the traditional sort of symbolism that might go into a seal or coat of arms. Not to say that the results should look like that, but a little bit of traditional thinking influencing the process might produce something that wouldn't embarrass entire nations.

Well, it's going to kill merchandize sales

Maybe they can salvage that with a cool mascot (yeah, like that's going to happen).

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I actually have an oppurtunity to go and see a talk by the head of the design agency who did this in a couple of weeks. I think it might be interesting to see what's said about it...

What do you think the odds are that the talk you go to will start something like:

"Well thank you for coming today ladies and gentlemen. In a change to the original schedule our keynote speaker will be Helena Rozanytroche(aged 10), winner of the Blue Peter design competition. Due to unforeseen circumstances our original speaker has left the design industry..."

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
How long before a couple of the newspapers clan together and start a "design a non-embarassing logo for the 2012 Olympics Contest", voted by the readers with a hefty prize for the winner?

Has anyone checked out the video? and you thought the logo was bad...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
From the BBC article:

"...and will evolve in the run-up to the Games."

Into something better I hope they are implying.

"2012 Olympic Logo.......TRANSFORM."

If this thing cost £400,000, I wonder what they would have come up with for £800,000??? Maybe instead of the bj, we would have gotten the full-on Bart on Lisa sex scene.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Dear god, my eyes! :eek: How tacky are those multicoloured squiggles?

Is that really an official site or a joke?!!

It looks like something off Newgrounds.
Who produced this? :(

(Who paid for it is a better question...)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Has anyone checked out the video? and you thought the logo was bad...
Oh man, that's just painful. Nothing to associate with either London or the Olympics, just a bunch of bad animation and some generic music and images.

Shockingly bad. I'm actually embarrassed :eek:

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
When did Fred Flintstone become an artist? I must have missed it.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The video is truely awful. This looks so unbelievably rubbish, graphics are definitley from the 80's. Pure crap.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I've submitted this thread and a comment using their Contact us form, I'll be curious if anything comes of it.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...(Who paid for it is a better question...)
Bartleby
Big Andy
Blue Velvet
dcv
displaced
dynamicv
edesignuk
iBlue
iGav
Jaffa Cake
Kernow
Lau
Mord

etc.etc.etc. along with all the other UK taxpayers[/salt\wound]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.