2012 SSD failures: Post what Apple did to resolve it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HarryWarden, Oct 28, 2013.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I've read that some people are being given replacement computers because of short supply while others are having to wait for the SSD to be ordered and installed (as in my case).

What did Apple do when your 2012 MBA SSD failed?

2. macgeek88 Suspended

Replaced the drive. Going to pick it up as soon as they got the part in.

3. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Had an appointment with the Genius bar on the 18th, I was quoted 3-5 days for the part to arrive. Called 3 days ago they said they have no clue when they will be getting any replacements. So been without a MBA for almost a month now. Hopefully I will hear something this week.

Look forward to see how quickly everybody else is getting their replacements.

4. Sonnestah macrumors regular

Apple replaced my 2012 13" MBA for a new 2013 13" MBA.

They didn't have ssds in stock and didn't know when they would get more. As I had been waiting for two weeks already, they called and offered a new MBA instead.

5. applefan022 macrumors 6502

US or Canada, Seem to be Canadian Apple stores are doing this.

6. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

What if my Mac is out of warranty? Since this is a known issue, will they take care of it?

7. macgeek88 Suspended

Yup. Mine had a dent in the case too.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

9. Anaco macrumors newbie

After one Genius Bar appointment I was assured a drive would be ordered and I would be notified when it arrived in a few days. Instead, five days later I received a call from the Apple Store telling me I had to bring my MBA in again so they could run a firmware update required by the engineers since "supplies are constrained." I made another Genius Bar appointment and diagnostics confirmed what I already knew and what the Genius told me at the first appointment: the SSD needed to be replaced. Two trips in a week, 170 miles r/t each, now the Apple Store has my MBA while waiting for a SSD to come in stock. I would have taken a 2013 replacement in a heartbeat if it had been offered, but it wasn't.

10. henryonapple macrumors 6502

11. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

At that point, I'd demand that they either fix it right away or give me a new computer. They can't expect people to go that long without their computer. Most of us use them for work-related activities and it's BS that they would make you wait that long.

12. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Just got an email saying my part has finally arrived.

13. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Apple replaced my drive yesterday took about 1.5 hours to replace and install Mavericks.

14. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

If I were you I'd bring up the delayed repair time and the overall mileage it's taken to bring it in both times. Granted, you had the option of mailing it in to Apple but if they encouraged you to visit a retail location then that's kind of on them. A call to AppleCare expressing concern over the delay and the inconvenience it, along with the wasted mileage, has been to you might just result in a replacement Mac being offered. Asking for one right away is ludicrous, but at this point it's far fetched for them to expect you to wait so long and drive so much.

A word of advice, demands usually meet heavy resistance. Concern and expressing displeasure get much better results a lot quicker. Not just with Apple but most customer service experiences in general.

15. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

With how much Apple charges for its products, if something goes wrong within a year or thereabouts, replacing the entire computer is better customer service considering again what you paid. Pay more, expect more.

16. indysteel macrumors newbie

Still Waiting

I made my appointment for the 25th of October and it died that morning before the appointment. I waited and let them do their diag on the Air which told them that the SSD needed to be replaced. They mentioned that they needed to keep the Air until the part came in which I balked at and told them to just call me when it came in.

Well, it's been over a week and still nothing.

17. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

18. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

I kept my Air and am still waiting for the call about the SSD part arriving. Same amount of time as it's a week as of today. I wonder if mailing it in would have been faster?

19. Bigboatdaddy macrumors newbie

I loathe the PR spin of "replacement program", making it sound like they're doing customers a favour by replacing a faulty part for free. It's a recall but they won't use that term. What I'd like to know though is how did everyone else become aware of the recall?

I only found out yesterday after seeing a link on the support pages of the Apple website when I went looking for contact info. Like most normal folk I don't go looking for support until I actually need some. So I was only there because my SSD failed last week. If it wasn't for that I probably would have remained completely uninformed that there was even a recall on my mid-2012 128gb Air.

I'm really surprised, and a little disappointed, that Apple weren't more proactive in contacting purchasers at the time they became aware there was an issue. I bought my Air from Apple directly, it's registered wth them, and they have all more contact details in my Apple account. Pretty piss poor customer relations in my opinion.

Anyways, the Authorised Apple Repairer that I took it to has quoted 2-3 days for a replacement part. Will wait and see if Apple can deliver.

20. macgeek88 Suspended

Picking mine up Thursday. It's done but won't be in town til then.

I found out through the macrumors.com news. Then I saw the FW update and it failed.

21. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought mine from Amazon and they emailed me about the recall.

22. indysteel macrumors newbie

I did finally hear from my Apple store!

They called to tell me they still don't have any SSD drives and that they have no ETA.

Awesome!

23. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

It absolutely would have been faster. The depot (where it gets mailed to) gets priority for parts, meaning its very rare for a part constraint to affect them, whereas Apple retail stores and AASPs are at the mercy of in house inventory, available replacement inventory, and shipping times. If Apple says they don't have a part in stock and offers the option to send it to the depot, take it unless you're scared about data loss.

Thats like saying I should have expected BMW to replace my M3 when the ECU failed and took a few days to arrive, you know, because it was the top of the line for that model range. Sorry, it doesn't make sense on many, many, levels. When you get to a low enough price point (at least at the consumer's eyes) it makes sense, hence why it's so common with iOS devices. But not multi-component larger devices that cost thousands of dollars. You're paying for a great computer, not for top tier replacement when the smallest failure occurs.

24. mbike999 macrumors newbie

Brought mine in 6 days ago. No ETA or ship date on part. No offer to replace even though it is business critical (self-employed). Lost several days of productivity. Totally scrappled - term I coined for screwed by Apple.

25. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

My computer cost $849, not thousands of dollars. Some iPads are close to that price. I may buy another one and then return it using the 14-day policy. Wonder if I could still have it shipped to a depot. If I called AppleCare, would they offer that? I obviously still have the computer while they wait for the part, which they could use for someone else's failed SSD.