2013 iMac Assembled in USA

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Old Muley, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

As I was unpacking my new iMac last night I noticed the information on the brown exterior box indicated it was assembled in the USA. It would be interesting to know to what extent it was "assembled" here.

2. WJKramer macrumors 6502

Um. All of it? Parts are from elsewhere.

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

If I had to guess it probably is just fitting all the components into the aluminum chassis and then placing the screen on it and boxing her up!

Glad to see any indication of some sort of work being do in America now (other than the designing of it of course).

4. Old Muley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

It just says "computer assembled in USA". My guess is it, like most other things, contains parts that are globally sourced.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Parts for the iMac are made all over the world. Some parts (most) are made in asia others in europe and others in say Canada and south America. They are shipped to the US and all put in place by American factory workers and put into their packaging (which may or may not be made in the states)

6. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Are you sure? do you think "the designing of it" happened in the USA?
    I bet it happened in China, too...apart from 5-10 members in Apple's high chairs, all others are Chinese....(sorry! Black humor....but not very far from reality!).

7. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Maybe the box was assembled in the USA? LOL... sorry, couldn't resist. :)

8. Bear macrumors G3

To be labeled "Assembled in the USA" more than a certain percentage of assembly has to be done in the US. Subcomponents that are made or assembled in the US would be a part of that percentage.

What configuration iMac did you get?

9. faxao macrumors regular

10. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

I figure the BTOs are configured in the new Mini plant but base models might still come from China. Let's face it, we on this forum are BTO people.

11. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

I heard some other customers (I have not checked if only BTO models) who reported this country as place of new 27'' iMac assembly. I am not sure...

I don't really know what "legally" means... maybe, lower import taxes if declared "Assembled in Ireland" who knows....maybe it is true!

But..if it is true, why not assembled in the USA? cheaper labor in Ireland? possibly not...The cheapest labor is in China along with the poor 27'' LG Monitor Quality Control...:cool:

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It sounds like for some configurations at least, components are being shipped to assembly plants near the market the finished computer is then shipped to. Apple has often used Ireland for the EU market, for example.

The question is, how much of the total stream are being handled this way. Is it just a way to reduce ship times for BTO, reduce taxes (as mentioned above) or is this something bigger like achieving higher unit density on aircraft for all SKUs.

If enough folks report their market area, what they ordered, and what their box says, we can figure this out!

13. Sam Spade macrumors regular

According to the FedEx tracking info, my new BTO iMac shipped from Newark, CA. I'm assuming this means my unit is likely made in USA?

14. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

As long as from what you can tell, your computers works fine I wouldn't really worry where it's assembled. I am all for buying American believe me, but this might be a case where one is being too picky.

15. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

- 10/04/2013 - Friday
    5:33 pm
    Delivered
    Wichita, KS
    9:37 am
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    WICHITA, KS
    6:15 am
    At local FedEx facility
    WICHITA, KS
    1:05 am
    Departed FedEx location
    LENEXA, KS
    - 10/03/2013 - Thursday
    9:17 pm
    Arrived at FedEx location
    LENEXA, KS
    - 10/02/2013 - Wednesday
    8:19 am
    Departed FedEx location
    SACRAMENTO, CA
    12:46 am
    Arrived at FedEx location
    SACRAMENTO, CA
    - 10/01/2013 - Tuesday
    10:40 am
    Shipment information sent to FedEx
    12:00 am
    Picked up
    NEWARK, CA

16. kansei macrumors member

Assembled in USA, yep. It's the only way they can offer relatively quick ship times on BTO iMacs. It'd be so costly to overnight air ship them from China.

17. arncalars macrumors member

Assembled in Ireland.....shipped to Denmark

My Imac just dispacthed from "HollyHill Industrial Estate" in Ireland.

Very nice ;-)

18. Bear macrumors G3

Actually all iMacs pretty much travel by air from China. when they hit the USA they go ground unless faster delivery was paid for.

Apple ships by the pallet load and the pallets get broken down by the shipper at a depot along the way. This saves Apple money. In the case of the US, Fedex uses at least 3 depots for breaking the pallets down. If you live near one of the depots you get very fast delivery for free.

As it stands, if I take the free shipping that Apple offers and part of the order ships from California and part from China I will often get the stuff from China delivered first and I live in the US.

19. mossy macrumors regular

mossy

What do you mean by this?

20. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Holly Hill? This supports my "theory"!

APPLE ships 27'' iMacs to Ireland / Holly Hill to be blessed by "lucky" priests to avoid monitor problems due to "poor QC"...

Am I correct? :rolleyes:

21. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

Haha, good one! My 27" is coming from Ireland too; I hope this means good luck! ;)

----------

Off topic, but,

This is what it looks like, in case you're wondering? ;) [​IMG]

The only reason Apple's UK/European distribution centre is based in Ireland and not Britain is that they save $22bn dollars/year on taxes by having it based over there. There's quite an interesting story about it here, sounds very dubious to me: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2333202/Cathy-Kearney-The-Irish-accountant-22billion-Apple-just-year.html.

22. arncalars macrumors member

I Think so - Especially if it was spelled Holy hill ;-)

----------

Hi mossy. I simply trust it's proper assembled.
    But perhaps it's my expectations that makes me extra positive.

23. mossy macrumors regular

mossy

Maybe Britain should look at there own taxation system and stop interfering in other sovereign countries taxation systems. It is the taxation systems in other jurisdictions that is the problem.

24. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Simply Apple's European HQ is in Ireland (yes, mainly because of Tax reasons - you don't really want to pay British corporate tax if you're successful) so the BTO Macs are assembled there for final process.

I do assume that American customers get all their BTO Macs assembled in States then? I was just wondering where does the rest of the world get theirs done? All in China or geographically distributed among Ireland, US and China?

25. mossy macrumors regular

mossy

Fair enough.
    The only reason I asked is because you put HollyHill Industrial Estate in quotes.