2013 MBA does not sit flush on table

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sick z33, Jun 14, 2013.

1. sick z33 macrumors 6502

Got mine yesterday and noticed that the laptop is only standing on 3 of the rubber feet. With laptop opened, the bottom left isn't making contact with any flat surface, which makes it extremely annoying while typing (you can constantly hear the laptop hitting the surface as you type or move hand).

I am sure Apple will have no problem exchanging as I just picked it up. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue or not. :D

2. silverf1re macrumors regular

It's a premium machine. I would expect it to sit flat :) I hope the BTO people don't have to reorder.

3. Mikael macrumors regular

I had this very issue with my 2011 13" MBA. As you say, it's extremely annoying. I went to the local Apple retailer and they exchanged the bottom piece. No problem since! :)

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That would be the best solution if it is BTO, otherwise just swap it out.

5. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I think it does this with just about every MBA

6. larry918 macrumors regular

Wow, thank god I just saw this thread, I thought I was the only one! Mine is the bottom left corner as well, and for the time being, I'm putting three flashcards underneath. I'm hoping to take a to a retailer soon.

7. anna4712 macrumors newbie

Mine too. Same corner. BTO as well. You'd think you'd get better quality for over $1k.

8. larry918 macrumors regular

Exactly right? Apple is all about perfection and precision, a slight bump every time you type should not be allowed.

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It's a mass produced product, not a handmade and thoroughly tested one.

10. eyespii macrumors 6502

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

My last 2010 11" had this issue, but my 2013 13" is rock solid. No wobbling or anything at all. You should not have to put up with that. I'd return ASAP.

12. chalmers4three macrumors member

i had this exact same issue with my MBA and took it to the apple store. the "genius" said my battery had come unseeded and he just took it to the back and 5 minutes later came back out and it was fixed.

13. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Before you go crazy and take it back, try it on a different surface.

14. larry918 macrumors regular

If I take it to an Apple Store, will they make me replace a new computer altogether, or will they just replace the bottom chassis?

15. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

i don't see why they replace the whole machine, its not a big issue anyway.
    if they have any spare bottom cover, its easy to swap ... takes less than 5 minutes.

16. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's probably even simpler than swapping bottom covers. They should be able to level it by loosening the screws, checking for level, then retightening (and checking again, of course).

17. larry918 macrumors regular

Asking because I live in China, and the customer service isn't very good...Another question - I bought my MBA in HK, will the official retail store offer to fix? Checking tomorrow.

18. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

Is it perfectly leveled when closed? Mine only wobbles a bit when open. It's not a big deal. You have to be OCD to notice it.

19. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

My 2013 model does not seem to do this. Just an fyi.

20. kap09 macrumors 6502

Been noticing the same with mine lately...also the lower left. Might just need to take it in.

For those of you that have had the bottom swapped, what happens with the serial number marked on the bottom of the case? Just curious.

21. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

I swear the "problem" seems to have fixed itself. Got frustrated with it while doing some Rails development so my hands were pressing firmly on the hand rests. Now, it is perfectly leveled even with the lid open. Fascinating.

22. gr8tfly, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

They indelibly write the original s/n on the inside of the bottom cover.
    Also, it's still in ROM and can be found in the About this Mac info (click on the version twice) or in System Profiler.
    ----------

Actually, that was one of the service procedures to level the bottom - apply steady, but firm pressure to the left and right palm rests (might still be the procedure, but I don't have a recent model manual).

Glad it's fixed, though. Stuff like that can be annoying.

23. larry918 macrumors regular

Brought it to a retail store in HK to get it fixed. Though I was thinking that it would be a simple process, they told me that they needed to replace the entire bottom chassis as it wasn't just one of the feet being a bit higher than the rest. Nonetheless, I'm not going back to HK for another two weeks, so I can only wait!

24. froggyjo macrumors newbie

Had the same issue. Took it to the Apple store and even though I didn't ask for a replacement, the guy at the Genius Bar said that it was obvious, that I would get a new MBAir. Bottom line: Ask for a new laptop.