Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
and with his 2013 .383 OBP, Cano gets on base more than almost everyone else who makes a mad dash for first

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i've been watching baseball since the 80's and i have always thought how dumb these guys were for running like cats from dogs on ground balls that are outs 9/10 times

that and how the batting average didn't account for walks

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
i've been watching baseball since the 80's and i have always thought how dumb these guys were for running like cats from dogs on ground balls that are outs 9/10 times

Every single coach or manager in baseball would disagree with this comment.

Until the out is recorded, you never know what can happen. Games, playoff races, and even championships could be decided on whether a guy hustled or not.

That's because batting average is the percentage of at-bats where you get a hit, not the percentage of times you get on base. That's why they have on-base percentage as well.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

And again, what about on pop ups or fly balls? It's can be the difference between standing on first, or standing on second and third.

If you run hard out of the box for a ground ball, you'll run hard out of the box for everything. It's not rocket science. I'm also pretty sure that the batters hitting behind the guys that hustle don't think it's dumb. They want to hit with runners in scoring position.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
And again, what about on pop ups or fly balls? It's can be the difference between standing on first, or standing on second and third.

If you run hard out of the box for a ground ball, you'll run hard out of the box for everything. It's not rocket science. I'm also pretty sure that the batters hitting behind the guys that hustle don't think it's dumb. They want to hit with runners in scoring position.

Cano had an .899 OPS last year. that's around the top 5%. he has no problem getting on second or third base

Cano was actually #9 in doubles last season and #9 for times on base. maybe some of the mad dog runners need to learn from him

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Cano had an .899 OPS last year. that's around the top 5%. he has no problem getting on second or third base

Cano was actually #9 in doubles last season and #9 for times on base. maybe some of the mad dog runners need to learn from him
Over his career, how many games have you watched Cano play?

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne

When you walk, you don't bat anything. Walks are accounted for in OBP, a stat that is heavily used in baseball today.

In other news: when's the ring ceremony? :D:D:D

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
This is why you hustle on a simple pop up.... If Tex was being lazy, he would not have scored. And imagine if that was Game 7 of the WS....

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
unless you crawl to first you will make it on that play

If that was Cano just jogging, he would most likely be on third or that would have been a closer play at home.

I'm not bashing Cano for not hustling. I have a bigger problem with him being a free swinger and swinging at everything. But, Tex running at full speed certainly helped in that situation....

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I will always remember game 6 of the 1986 world series, but even that luck. 99.999% of the time the ball will be caught, that is an out and no amount of hustling will help you

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I will always remember game 6 of the 1986 world series, but even that luck. 99.999% of the time the ball will be caught, that is an out and no amount of hustling will help you

Speaking of World Series and home runs... Kirk Gibson's home run is one of my favorites and I am not even a Dodger fan! :eek:

I know it has nothing to do with Cano or the hustle, but talking about WS Home Runs...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
2014 should be a good year for my Mets. maybe not post season good but even without harvey the pitching staff looks pretty good and so does the offense.

yanks look good on paper, but most of the good players are injury prone and there are questions about the rotation late in the season

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Frank Jobe has died at 88. Don't know who he is? Well most major league pitchers sure do, he is the doctor that pioneered Tommy John Surgery.
LOS ANGELES -- Dr. Frank Jobe, whose experimental surgery to fix a pitcher's elbow turned into a medical breakthrough that forever changed baseball, died Thursday. He was 88 and in his 50th season with the Dodgers.

In 2008, after retiring from active practice at the Kerlan-Jobe Medical Clinic, Jobe was named special advisor to the chairman of the Dodgers. Last year, Jobe was honored as part of Hall of Fame Weekend in Cooperstown for having a significant impact on baseball culture. Specifically, in 1974 Jobe transplanted a tendon to replace the torn ulnar collateral ligament of Dodgers lefty Tommy John, whose comeback lasted 14 years and set such a successful precedent for future patients that the surgery bears his name.

But it was Jobe who invented it, performed it, refined it and taught it to hundreds of training orthopedic surgeons that now consider it a routine procedure to prolong careers of ballplayers at every level of the game.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb...md=20140306&content_id=68846290&vkey=news_mlb

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So there is one spot to fill for our MacRumors fantasy baseball league and just over an hour until draft! Anyone want to play?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The season needs to start already so I get to see this guy in action:

Looks like the real deal.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Almost the real opening day, not the fake one in Australia.

Lets see Miguel Cabrera breaks the bank in Detroit. 248 over 8 plus 2.
Counting the two years and $44 million remaining on Cabrera's present contract, the deal guarantees the two-time MVP a total of $292 million over the next 10 years. He would be 40 in the final year of the contract, in 2023. There are also two vesting options, for a reported $30 million each, that would become guaranteed if Cabrera finishes in the top 10 of the MVP voting in the previous season, Dombrowski told ESPN.com.
Trout gets 6 for 144.5 with the Angels.

And new drug ban rules.
In the most significant toughening to the drug rules in eight years, Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association said the penalty will increase from 50 games to 80 for a first testing violation and from 100 games to a season-long 162 for a second. A third violation remains a lifetime ban.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.