2015 15" MacBook Pro Recall Applies to About 432,000 Units, Apple Received 26 Reports of Batteries Overheating

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple launched a worldwide recall and replacement program for select 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro units, sold primarily between September 2015 and February 2017, due to batteries that "may overheat and pose a fire safety risk." Apple will replace affected batteries free of charge.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission or CPSC has since indicated that Apple has received 26 reports of batteries overheating in affected notebooks, including five reports of minor burns and one report of smoke inhalation, as well as 17 reports of minor damage to nearby personal property.

About 432,000 potentially affected MacBook Pro units were sold in the United States, plus 26,000 in Canada, according to a joint recall announcement from the CPSC and Health Canada. As of June 4, 2019, Apple has received one report of a consumer incident and no reports of injuries in Canada.

Apple has asked customers to stop using affected MacBook Pro models and to contact the company to initiate a replacement. Apple's recall program page provides further details and instructions.

Note that only the "Mid 2015" MacBook Pro is part of this recall program. To identify your Mac, click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen and click on About This Mac. Look for "Mid 2015" in the window that opens. Other models like the 12-inch MacBook and MacBook Air are not part of the program.

Article Link: 2015 15" MacBook Pro Recall Applies to About 432,000 Units, Apple Received 26 Reports of Batteries Overheating

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is the last great Macbook Pro, and its owners are going to get brand new batteries, keyboards and trackpads. (They replace the entire top case for a battery replacement).

I must say that's amazing news for people who have these machines and don't want to upgrade to the new ones with the bum keyboards and lack of proper ports.

My work issued MBP, sadly, is a 2014 model and doesn't quality. (Though I love it to death)

jeh72

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2016
I found out yesterday that the battery in my 2017 15" is swollen...I wonder if we'll see later year models recalled eventually as well?

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
This is the last great Macbook Pro, and its owners are going to get brand new batteries, keyboards and trackpads. (They replace the entire top case for a battery replacement).

I must say that's amazing news for people who have these machines and don't want to upgrade to the new ones with the bum keyboards and lack of proper ports.

My work issued MBP, sadly, is a 2014 model and doesn't quality. (Though I love it to death)
Bum keyboards and lack of ports according to you.

slappypig

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
Earth
I own a 2015 MBP 15" and going through the site it came back with a your Mac doesn't qualify under this program for one of these reasons "You aren't affected by this recall or You have already had service done for this recall" or something to that effect. I may take it in anyways to see what they say as I don't like the "or" since i did have mine serviced about a year ago for a faulty video display. Thoughts?

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Am curious if the first persons to report the issue were given the usual "You're doing something wrong. Our products don't have flaws." treatment before the reports escalated on social media. Or is Apple wiser after the iPhone's Batterygate?

nexusrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2012
The New MacBook Pro

It's so thin and light that it will catastrophically destroy itself over time due to the arbitrary thermal constraints we've imposed to indulge our extremely problematic fetish.

Starting at $159,999
Actually that’s the non super thin one that’s getting recalled :) and if you knew a bit about technology you would understand the issue is defective batteries not the machine format.

Sidenote: ould we please have a ban on “thin” and “price” related jokes? I am for freedom of speech but when each thread is 25% useless comment that do not contribute to the discussion it starts ruining the experience. It seems people are not able to realize by themselves the subtle line between the occasional joke and constantly bother other users with off-topic comments that don’t add anything but it’s impossible not to read , perhaps they need some help. At least an automatic “you can skip this comment” label applied when certain combinations of words are detected? I literally have two read the same 2 “jokes” multiple times per thread everyday.

MiG007

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2015

Last week, Apple launched a worldwide recall and replacement program for select 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro units, sold primarily between September 2015 and February 2017, due to batteries that "may overheat and pose a fire safety risk." Apple will replace affected batteries free of charge.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission or CPSC has since indicated that Apple has received 26 reports of batteries overheating in affected notebooks, including five reports of minor burns and one report of smoke inhalation, as well as 17 reports of minor damage to nearby personal property.

About 432,000 potentially affected MacBook Pro units were sold in the United States, plus 26,000 in Canada, according to a joint recall announcement from the CPSC and Health Canada. As of June 4, 2019, Apple has received one report of a consumer incident and no reports of injuries in Canada.

Apple has asked customers to stop using affected MacBook Pro models and to contact the company to initiate a replacement. Apple's recall program page provides further details and instructions.

Note that only the "Mid 2015" MacBook Pro is part of this recall program. To identify your Mac, click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen and click on About This Mac. Look for "Mid 2015" in the window that opens. Other models like the 12-inch MacBook and MacBook Air are not part of the program.

Article Link: 2015 15" MacBook Pro Recall Applies to About 432,000 Units, Apple Received 26 Reports of Batteries Overheating
[doublepost=1561651778][/doublepost]Not just Apple.

My wife has a 2017 HP Spectre X360 that has the trackpad popping out. Searched the HP forums and there are many threads with swollen batteries (with ugly pictures). Out of warranty now...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Spectre-X360-15inch-Battery-Swelling/td-p/6825796

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-swollen-spectre-x360/td-p/7108747

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HOT-Swollen-Battery-on-Spectre-x360/td-p/6704993

Scooby_Snacks

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2018
It's too bad. Hoping these don't get banned on airplanes!? This laptop was really great, a real work-horse and I loved the keyboard. I have a newer 2018 model now and although I've gotten used to it, I still prefer my old 2015 from an overall utility perspective.

Reactions: shurcooL

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
At my work, we had 1 out of ~30 Macbook Pros have a battery that swelled up. That’s about 14,400 faulty batteries, assuming we are representational.
I found out yesterday that the battery in my 2017 15" is swollen...I wonder if we'll see later year models recalled eventually as well?
I've had two MBPs with swollen batteries over the years. From what I can gather from my very limited set of data is this is a combination of never letting my batteries cycle (I always plug in so they never drain) and extended periods of heavy use with the cover closed (I often connect to external displays and don't have the laptop itself open) so they get hot and the battery suffers. Both time occurred when I had an extended load going for a long period of time with the cover closed (heavy rendering crunching overnight both times, really the type of thing I should have been running on my Mac Pro anyway). Not exactly the typical use case. I've been told that cycling batteries is important to their health as well and I just don't. I move my laptops between locations but I don't use them away from my typical working location (e.g. on a plane or in a coffee shop) where I wouldn't be connected to AC power. That sort of mobile use I'm on my iPad instead. If my experience is typical of the people encountering swollen batteries then I'd expect very few run into it in actual normal use.
[doublepost=1561652509][/doublepost]
why when they're being preemptive
because money and lawyers :p

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
At my work, we had 1 out of ~30 Macbook Pros have a battery that swelled up. That’s about 14,400 faulty batteries, assuming we are representational.
Your knowledge of statistics is underwhelming. You would need a random sample of sufficient size to draw your conclusion. More likely it was a bad batch either in handling or in production that was the problem, but with insudfficient data, everyone gets a free battery
[doublepost=1561652785][/doublepost]
Am curious if the first persons to report the issue were given the usual "You're doing something wrong. Our products don't have flaws." treatment before the reports escalated on social media. Or is Apple wiser after the iPhone's Batterygate?
I bet they are all glad they didn't have Dell's!

and are you somehow tryng to equate preventing a device shutdown when using a bad battery by limiting the energy draw to something manageable by the battery?

Seems odd and out of place.

polbit

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
I really hope that Lithium-Ion batteries die fast as new technologies like graphene or nanowire take hold, coupled with fast recharge through air or sound. We are so overdue for something safer and more modern than a ticking bomb in everyone's pocket or backpack, with an inherently volatile liquid electrolyte layer.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
Is FAA going to ban MacBook Pros on all flights like they did with Galaxy Note 7?
probably not, the Galaxy Note 7 issue was prevalent, not a few isolated cases doing the match 26 reports / 432000 possible units = .006%

doing the match 26 reports
[doublepost=1561653182][/doublepost]
I own a 2015 MBP 15" and going through the site it came back with a your Mac doesn't qualify under this program for one of these reasons "You aren't affected by this recall or You have already had service done for this recall" or something to that effect. I may take it in anyways to see what they say as I don't like the "or" since i did have mine serviced about a year ago for a faulty video display. Thoughts?
its by serial number, the bad batteries were from a particular batch and impacted particular builds, if yours was not one of them, then you are not effected. Not rocket science

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003

Alternately, if you have a bum keyboard you can bring it in for a free replacement and have a machine less than 4 years old and compatible with the latest standards and montiors...

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Apple replaced my battery (and all the other necessary components) on my 2015 MBP for free earlier this year, before the recall. You should open a case and take it in to see what they say.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Really wish we had removable batteries. Lithium Ion batteries have the tendency to swell up over time (happened on 6 of my devices so far). Glued in makes it quite an ordeal to deal with. And when the 2015 is no longer supported, what is Apple going to do, give you a trade in on a current version with an unreliable keyboard you didn't ask for and non of the ports you were using?

Also, if laptop battery starts to catch fire, with removable battery you might have a shot at saving the machine. But no, that thing is screwed and glued, so soon as you see smoke, make sure you get a current backup.

Reactions: coolfactor