Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
With all due respect to Brady and his rings, Rodgers is just a better player.

He probably is, but - fairly or unfairly - he will not be seen in that all-time top echelon until he achieves more postseason success. I heard a complete "wait, wut?" fact today: Rodgers has only been to two NFC Championship games.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
He probably is, but - fairly or unfairly - he will not be seen in that all-time top echelon until he achieves more postseason success. I heard a complete "wait, wut?" fact today: Rodgers has only been to two NFC Championship games.
If he gets two more, he's no doubt one of if not the best of all time.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

Wow. That's it? He's got a long way to go then.

The GOAT has been to 9 AFC championships (with 6 wins) in 13 years as a starter.

Reactions: impulse462

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Wow. That's it? He's got a long way to go then.

The GOAT has been to 9 AFC championships (with 6 wins) in 13 years as a starter.
But Rodgers is just a better quarterback. Period. There are a lot of factors that keep you out of the NFC championship game.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But Rodgers is just a better quarterback. Period. There are a lot of factors that keep you out of the NFC championship game.
He may be a better quarterback, but the fact remains a person's value in the NFL is measured by championships. I mean look at Payton Manning, for years was I think statistically a better QB then anyone else. He holds the record for scores of record but yet he has less rings.

Its all about the Super Bowl wins. Brady has play extremely well for years and has had a great team around him, year in and year out to always make them a contender.

yukyuklee

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Boston, MA
He may be a better quarterback, but the fact remains a person's value in the NFL is measured by championships. I mean look at Payton Manning, for years was I think statistically a better QB then anyone else. He holds the record for scores of record but yet he has less rings.

Its all about the Super Bowl wins. Brady has play extremely well for years and has had a great team around him, year in and year out to always make them a contender.

I think you have that reversed Payton Manning always had a great team around him. Brady had mediocre players that worked well with each other.

Reactions: impulse462

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
There's just too many factors involved to appoint any one GOAT. We would be going around in circles forever.... I mean if its Superbowl wins then does terry Bradshaw come in to the conversation? he was the benefactor of some great defenses but he does have 4 rings in a 6 year period..... Or is it based on talent and wins overall... Then you have to take in to account the team around him, the coach, etc... Is Brady as successful as he is without belichick? Does Rodgers have more championships if Belichick was coaching the packers instead? Too many questions and too many factors. I know QB is the most important position on the field but there are 21 other players out there and a coaching staff that influences the outcomes greatly.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

His first few years, he rode the coat-tails of a stellar D. The same D that shut down the Greatest Show on Turf in the Super Bowl. By his 3rd year, he proved himself elite.

Belicheck gets all the credit for, but a lot of the Pats success is due to former O-line coach, Dante Scarnecchia. The man turned a bunch mid/late round picks into an impressive barrier that kept Brady's jersey clean.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Wow, Brady is only a year younger than that #18 guy, but Manning appears to be an elderly wreck who throws wounded ducks and cannot run for shasterisk. Looks like having a good O-line can add years to a QB's career.

Reactions: pachyderm

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
By the way, I started tracking conversions, since they decided to move the kicks back to 15. Bearing in mind that I may have counted wrong, the numbers look something like this:
  • Extra point kick success: ~94.5% (1.3% of the misses are blocks, one every week).
  • 2-pt attempts: 9.3% of conversions (the usual 50% success rate).
  • 6-pt TD rate: 9.7% overall.

Looks to me like two-point attempts may be up slightly compared to previous years. Clearly, though, the XP is around 5 percentage points below what it used to be. I still feel like they need to do something different to make the game more interesting while still preserving their ability to sell bud Bud.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Wow, Brady is only a year younger than that #18 guy, but Manning appears to be an elderly wreck who throws wounded ducks and cannot run for shasterisk. Looks like having a good O-line can add years to a QB's career.

O-Line is very important. Seattle is a shining example of that.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

So by that logic, Trent Dilfer is a better quarterback than Tony Romo.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
There's just too many factors involved to appoint any one GOAT. We would be going around in circles forever.... I mean if its Superbowl wins then does terry Bradshaw come in to the conversation? he was the benefactor of some great defenses but he does have 4 rings in a 6 year period..... Or is it based on talent and wins overall... Then you have to take in to account the team around him, the coach, etc... Is Brady as successful as he is without belichick? Does Rodgers have more championships if Belichick was coaching the packers instead? Too many questions and too many factors. I know QB is the most important position on the field but there are 21 other players out there and a coaching staff that influences the outcomes greatly.

Is Brady as successful without cheating? It's not something you can ignore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.