2015 Formula 1 Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Apple fanboy, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

So guys picking up from last seasons 2014 Formula 1 thread, lets discuss the new season. Yes it might be months away, but still plenty to talk about.

So first off McLaren will be announcing their driver line up tomorrow. Alonso is a given, but who will his partner be? Personally I think it would be a real shame if Button didn't get one last crack at it. I'd love to see Honda hit the ground with a competitive package and give Mercedes a challenge next season.

Meanwhile Caterham are in discussion with three buyers, so hopefully will be back on the grid next year. But will they make any ground up on the rest of the pack? Only if they get the funding and right personal.

Apparently the F1 teams made a combined net loss of £127.5 Million last season. Not great news if you're an investor.

So what are you looking forward to seeing next year? Will the driver merry go round make any difference, or will it just be Nico verses Lewis again? I hope not as it would be good to see a few other teams picking up wins.

I'd love to see Williams get more competitive. McLaren are very much an unknown because of Honda. I doubt anybody would get more out of Ferrari than Alonso did, so I don't expect to see much improvement from them. I think Vettel demonstrated this year, that he is only any good in the best car. He was outclassed by his team mate all year.

2. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

So according to the BBC, Button will partner Alonso. I think this is the right decision, but boy was it handled badly.
    Now just need another championship winning package from Honda!

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I never thought I would see this again! Good luck Fernando and keep focused.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418300179.108445.jpg

4. an-other macrumors regular

Mclarein

I'd love to have insight why this took so long. My suspicion is Honda and Ojjeh "overruled" Dennis.

If only McLaren could run a junior team. I'd really like to see what Stoffel and Kevin could do. Stoffel definitely seems to have the goods.

5. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I think he will end up getting more out of the car than Button does. I think Alonso is the best driver currently with Lewis a close second. It's a bit early to say where some of the younger drivers sit, but Riccardo has shown pure class by consistently finishing as the highest placed Renult engine driver, which we all know is a lemon of a drive train.

----------

Agree it was a Honda override of the board. Jenson has a lot of followers in Asia.

6. 882188 macrumors regular

That's my opinion as well.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

There was talk Dennis met with Alonso back in July so I don't think it was Ron that held up negotiations. I think it was more likely Alonso hanging around to see what Mercedes were doing with Hamilton's contract, but this door closed in the latter stages of the season. Red Bull unexpectedly signed Kvyat when Vettel announced his Ferrari move which didn't help Fernando. He apparently told Ferrari in July hw wanted to terminate his contract and his options started diminishing after that. McLaren was the best move and a gamble worth taking as the only other route would have been a sabbatical or a 1 year Caterham drive. I am glad it worked out.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

alonso will do good. he is most definitively one of the best (possibly the very best) development drivers so that should help mclaren/honda a lot.
    ferrari appears to have taken a step back with vettel, but you never know, many times it is just a question of proper matching.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Not sure a Honda Engine is going to make any difference. We have to assume the reason Mercedes keep winning is Based on the dynamics of the car design, since there are plenty of other teams running Mercedes Engines.

10. an-other macrumors regular

Vettel and Ferrari

There's a story going around that Newey and Vettel were a package deal to Marenello. The story claimed it as a "handshake deal done." The Newey part was immediately leaked to the Italian press, and Newey backed out as all his fears of politics were starting.

I give credit to Dennis to hire Alonso. It really shows winning is his primary motivation. I'm not sure I could reconcile with an employee that cost me $100M. (And one, that sabotaged a teammates qualifying attempt intentionally.) Well, Pedro De La Rosa is retired. I'm comfortable saying he won't ever make it back through the doors of the MTC.

I do agree Alonso is one of the fastest people on the planet between four Pirellis.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Yeah I knew Newey had backed out of a deal with Ferrari because of a breach of confidence. They must be upset considering they've tried to get Adrian's services for well over a decade now.

12. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

No doubt Mercedes made the best of the engine package. However Williams and McLaren did well this year due to that same package. When you have the fastest car, you can run more wing/downforce so it corners better.
    I'm sure Honda will have done their homework.
    And the closer the teams, the better the racing.

13. Melrose, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I saw the headline on my newsfeed this morning and had to smile because I really wanted to see Jenson back for more seasons. He was supremely hobbled this year by the vehicle and still managed to do well, considering.

Both drivers are excellent; there isn't a better wet driver currently than Jenson and his smooth style will make it fun to watch next season against Alonso's fire and brimstone. Arguably the best two drivers in the field imo, if they have good vehicles.

Too bad about Kevin, but he's still in a good spot and could well be back in a couple years.

I wouldn't go that far. He just seems off his game this year, and that could change through the winter months. He's already proven he's a good enough driver and Raikkonen isn't doing well either. I was confused with Raikkonen this year.

I thought Williams did very well, actually. There was no one going to beat Mercedes this year, so in terms of actual competition, I think the Willies did very good. Not so much a "Williams can be more competitive" than a "Mercedes needs o be taken down a notch" lol :)

14. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

The question is will Honda do good?

15. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Well they certainly have the pedigree!

----------

I think Jensen being back for seasons is wishful thinking. I'm guessing 2015 will be his last in F1.

Agree about Kimi. We were all looking forward to Alonso verses Kimi last year, and it was the biggest let down. I was genuinely surprised he didn't just decide to jack it in given he knows he won't be winning anything anytime soon.

Also think it was a strange decision by Vettel to join him. I believe thats a financial decision purely. That and he didn't want to be shown up by his RBR team mate again. I hope Kimi thrashes him all season.

16. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Both Alonso and Button are on two-year deals.

Vettel is hoping to do what Michael Schumacher did - make Ferrari a consistent Championship winning team.

17. randian macrumors 6502a

Michael didn't make them a winning team, their engineers did.

18. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

That deal won't be worth anything if Button is considered surplice in November next year.

Vettel is not as good as Schumacher IMO.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

But they only did when Michael Schumacher was with the team.

20. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Jenson: Perhaps. I'm wishful given his driving style and skill, and he just seems like a cool all-round chap. He did mention being back for longer than a year in the announcement interview... but didn't come right out and say it, either. His win in Canada a couple years ago was really cool to see. Stunning, really. I don't think there's a driver out there today who could do that. Senna was the last great wet driver.

Raikkonen: I was disappointed; granted I'm relatively new to the sport but I have followed it at least off and on for a couple years. He was way out of form. I had to laugh: After Spa they were talking to the other drivers about what happened, and asked Kimi "What do you think about the contact between Nico and Lewis?" and he replies "I don't care." :D

I can completely agree that Vettel going red is a money move. Isn't Ferrari the one that throws tantrums when they don't get enough extra money? Goodness, they extort 5% clean off the top just for being Ferrari...

21. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Vettel is hoping Ferrari can repeat what Ross Brawn did to make a consistent Championship winning team.

...and by that I think I'm saying that even Schumacher is only as good as the car.

----------

Can you apply that tainted reasoning elsewhere on the grid or is it just Button you don't like?

22. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not at all. Button is one of my favourite drivers. Apart from the fact he is British, he seems like an all round nice guy. I just think given how much internal debate there was at McLaren about awarding him a contract, I think those same voices will be demanding his head if he hasn't delivered the goods.
    Given I believe Alonso will get more out of the package, that won't help his cause.
    Contracts are often not seen through to there conclusion in sports.

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There is a big difference when it's a works team.

----------

Your forgetting button brings consistent points to the table every year. That makes the team money.

24. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm sure he will do ok. I really hope he does do well for the next two seasons. Only time will tell.

25. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

schumacer + ross brawn = titles.

it would have happened at forti if they had gone there. might've taken a little longer ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.