2016 tMBP price TOO LOW!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaptRB, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

No, I won't send Apple any more money.

But...wow! My 2016 tMBP 13" is really too much tech and capability for the low price of 1799.00

Those who experienced sticker shock really didn't do any math, so here we go!

My late model MacBook Air with larger SSD and 8GB cost 1549.00
    Today you can buy a new Macbook with 8GB and larger drive for 1599.00

Now wait a minute....those are really good machines. But does anyone no see that a 13" tMBP has a better screen, keyboard, speakers, faster, smaller/lighter, Touch-Bar and more for a very small premium? For 200 dollars more you get a crazy good tMBP that leaves previous generation in the dust.

This hater's view that last years rMBP is "nearly as good" is rubbish, man! Yeah, it's nearly as good as my machine even though it has a dimmer screen with less color, tinny speakers, wobbly keyboard with cheap light leaks, no touch-bar...SURE, aside from those flaws it's fine and still a good tool.

Apple brought so much more to the table with these new machines, addressing almost everything; a complete redesign.

And then they made it relatively affordable. Home run for pros to be sure. Before you folks living in your moms basement start crying, you're welcome to keep what you have, or buy a PC or maybe even skip the next Star Trek convention to save money for these awesome Macs!

R.

2. dark_mark Suspended

If it's too cheap, then why don't you send Apple a check in the amount for which you think is worth more.
    Tim Cook will really appreciate that! Let' support Apple! They need even more money!

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

Pay it forward. Send a $100 to a local charity in thanks to Apple.

4. Ries macrumors 68000

I'll assume you're talking about the 2010 model.

SSD prices was 4-10 times higher than now.
    [​IMG]

RAM Prices was higher
    [​IMG]

CPU prices are somewhat consistent, but $100 then was more than 100$ now. It's the same with all other components, you get better component now for the same price than then.

Apple gave you nothing, other than make you contribute a bigger part to their big pile of money. You can get laptop with the same parts at a very lower price.

5. ManuCH macrumors 6502

The new MBP is beautiful and I really like it (except that I'm waiting for a replacement, but hey, bad luck can happen statistically at some point).

Still, it's the most expensive MBP I've ever purchased at about $4000, and I think it's overpriced. Still, I like the macOS/iOS ecosystem so much that I'm gladly paying a premium for it.

This doesn't make the price fair, though. They manage to get through with it because people like what they're offering and they can afford charging a premium.

6. Rafterman macrumors 68000

7. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

did you accidentally buy apple shares, got hired to be one of their paid hyper and queuer or why are you advertizing them making new threads all the time? if the blue doesnt work, try the green ones...

8. CaptRB thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Why do red necks insist there's no global warming? Is it their degrees in climatology and geology?

And why do internet forum folk think they know what it costs to design, engineer and build a laptop? Are people so silly to believe that a price drop in certain components universally equals higher margins?

With that said, what business is it of yours if Apple DOES make more money on these? All you should care about is that Apple is giving you a better product for a fair price.

A 2016 non touchbar 13" is BETTER than a new MacBook for the same money!

This isn't about "value." It's about being cheap and that's what Apple has to contend with. You want cheap? There are plenty of good low cost laptops out there. But they aren't made by Apple.

There are good, roomy, fast cars like mine for less money. I wanted the fastest. So I paid more. This is the way the world works.

R.

9. Maurier macrumors regular

The new MBP are beautiful, It was love at first sight for me.
    When I first saw it at best buy I immediately knew why they are flying off the shelfs.
    The screen is gorgeous and alone is worth the price of admission.
    It's light years ahead of the previous generation, but I still bought the 2015 model.
    Reason why is because I'm not spending 4000$ on a laptop with graphic glitches.
    For a company like Apple at that price range is unacceptable.
    For now I'll keep the 2015 model for the next couple of years. Once Apple fixes this new generation I will buy it.
    BTW they also run hot.
    I trust this guy, look at 58 Min.

10. jerryk macrumors 68020

Good old Louis.

11. Ries macrumors 68000

I've designed hardware and write software, comes with an engineering degree. What is your background? Wallmart employee? You paid for the fastest, lol.

[​IMG]

Why is my business that Apple makes more money on these models? Because it makes they even more of a ripoff than they already are. You celebrate it like it is a good thing for you, how daft is that?

"This isn't about "value."", yeah clearly you don't care what you get for your money as long it has a shiny Apple logo.

12. Jefe's MacAir, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

^
    My base 13" TB sometimes gets over 8000 and consistently over 7500. And is uploaded to Geekbench for verification.

[​IMG]

13. CaptRB thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

I'll let someone else handle silly geek scores. And why are you bashing Walmart? My friend works there and makes over 400K a year and his wife, who's just a store manager, makes over 100K.

I work with these machines for pro photography in Hollywood and also work with studios who are using them for RED system production. Yeah, they ARE faster than the last generation. There's test after test showing it.

Why is it your business? Well, because a profitable company can do things like get rid of a wobbly keyboard and create a screen that is finally bright enough for production work outside.

No, I don't care about value at all. The laptop is a tool. It either works well or it doesn't. I have no emotional stake. I just did a shoot that paid for both of my new laptops 4 times over. Should I worry that they cost 200 dollars more than the previous ones?

I have yet to own a MacBook that was a "rip-off" as they all helped me make money in the smoothest fashion possible. This new tMBP is even better.

And yeah...I drive the fastest production sedan in the world. You get what you pay for.

R

14. CaptRB thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Yup. we all know the new machines are generally faster. My new 13" TMBP is doing a better job with RAW files than my 2015 rMPB. End of story.

R.

15. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Poor sod wants attention, and guess what?

He gets it.

MacRumors.

16. dark_mark Suspended

Lol. You are doing professional work for hollywood on a base 13 MBP with no dedicated graphics card? Am I supposed to believe that? LOL LOL

And no, no Hollywood production studio uses Macbook Pros. They use rendering farms which consist of hundreds of very high power machines each having desktop versions of GTX 1060 and each of those are 5 times more powerful than the most expensive Macbook Pro.

Something tells me, you don't do any kind of editing whatsoever. I am actually inclined to agree with other poster saying that you work for Walmart.

17. CaptRB thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

The video spends a ton of time talking about data rescue.

Again, I work in Hollywood. NOBODY runs a laptop with out daily backup. NOBODY. We all use the cloud, external drives and so on. I haven't heard of anyone but amateur users needing to rescue baby pics off a Mac.

Apple knows that Pro users don't swap parts and rescue data. We have our stuff backed up and we buy a new spec machine as needed, because it's not profitable to waste time doing anything else.

Yeah, I once needed to rescue a drive. That was back in 2005!

This is another sad "lament of the past" where Apple did their market research and a small (but vocal) minority still want to play with aging systems to keep them going. That's not the "pro" world at all.

R.

18. CaptRB thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Wow....you're sooooo confused. I don't do video editing. I am a pro photographer (and screenwriter) and I use top tier camera gear. The two 13" tMBP are perfect for such work. Why on Earth would I need a dedicated card???

As for your "rendering farms" that is a small portion of the community here. Like many film makers here, RED system (and many others) are cut on these machines routinely. Even back in NY one of the top commercial editing salons is currently using MacBooks and iMacs for editing.

I'm currently working with a director on a feature who shot his entire award winning featurette on RED system and cut on a MBP, so please tell us how a new tMBP suddenly can't do such work.

Bottom line...if you make good money, you likely don't care about the tools and associated costs. You just want them to work. I just ordered a Nikon 70-200 lens to replace my previous working zoom lens. You might think 2500 is a lot for one lens (it's not), but it will pay for itself in about two hours. Overpriced? Maybe. Do I care? Not at all. My work and time are worth the expense. The money is trivial.

If you want the good life (or at least a better one) I suggest you not worry about what a laptop costs and focus on doing good work!

As for the Walmart comment....that's just silly. I own a watch that likely cost more than your car. So what? I know people who own watches that cost more than my last 5 cars! Someone always has "more" and you won't be happy worrying about someone else's finances.

VALUE is a perception. For some people, spending over 500.00 on a computer makes no sense. Apple is not for them, even if they have money to burn. My father is wealthy enough to buy ANY car..and I mean that in the extreme. He drives an 8 year old Forester. No car is worth more than 30K in his mind and I won't argue with him.

Cheers,

R.

19. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is a real thread or a cock measuring contest.....

20. dark_mark Suspended

This is a thread made by an insecure teenager living with his mom who is trying to make us believe that hollywood studios use macbook pros for editing and store their work in the cloud. Lol

21. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

A few years ago someone sent my son a message about his Camaro. Apparently someone was online in a Camaro forum posting photos of his car and claiming it was theirs. It was freaky... The poser was busted when he posted a photo showing the tag #..

After getting busted, it was found out the poser was indeed some looser living in his mommy basement and trying to impress people online and get attention...

It just goes to prove that you never really know when online who is real and who is fake..

22. CaptRB thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Folks, I don't hide my identity.

I'm a retired yacht broker and professional sailor. I shoot jewelry for several clients in NY (though I now live in LA) after also working in product photography (large format) for 15 years.

I now live in LA after winning the largest screenwriting contest in the world and acquiring management, but I've also worked in film prior and even directed a god-awful horror movie with James Doohan (Star Trek's scotty) in the mid 90's. It made good money overseas, but I took a long break and resumed writing in 2013.

I'm an avid sailor and expert on sailboats in general. This is my previous boat....

Hal4 c.jpg

I'm currently shopping for a new yacht to keep at Marina Dell Rey, but having a hard time with the market.

A few years ago I got the muscle car bug (after years with great handling small cars)...started with a SRT 392 and after just 6 months went full-silly and got the Hellcat...This is what we've done so far...

15123379_10154615075576760_8128185491188649676_o.jpg

Nothing to hide. PM me if you need help picking a boat or sports car or for tips on breaking into Hollywood as a writer.

The MacBook is absolutely the best notebook book produced yet. While it's not going to be perfect for everyone, this current generation is on the right track. And even if I worked at Walmart, it wouldn't change my opinion.

Anyone want to see my watch?

Incredibly, everyone else is on the attack and hurling insults while I just give my POV. Oh, and I'm laughing MAO because a few of you are clearly HUGELY frustrated over an inexpensive laptop that will be old news in about 3 months. Some folks never learn.

R

23. Queen6, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You might well be on the money #29

Q-6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.