Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Clearly, you are clueless and didn't even read the terms of Apple's warranty.

No, what @lcseds is saying is that those terms can be interpreted, and that if you dare legally arguing those terms with Apple it will be much more expensive for you than buying a new iMac.

Reactions: mbosse

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
No. I'm not from the US, and I don't know much about the law in general.

You want to argue warranty terms with Apple? Be my guest.

If it really come to that, no problem.

I got my security deposit back after suing a renting company in small claims court.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Clearly, you are clueless and didn't even read the terms of Apple's warranty.

It's clearly pointless to get into a debate with someone can't bother to do basic research.

I know far more about Apple’s warranty than you think. Way more. Plus Lenovo’s, Dell’s and others. The LAST thing you could do is school me. Believe it. But I won’t debate with you because your advice is wreckless. I post to educate those that would listen.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I know far more about Apple’s warranty than you think. Way more. Plus Lenovo’s, Dell’s and others. The LAST thing you could do is school me. Believe it. But I won’t debate with you because your advice is wreckless. I post to educate those that would listen.

It's funny how you think you know so much, yet an simple google search for the warranty terms directly contradicts what you say.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
It's funny how you think you know so much, yet an simple google search for the warranty terms directly contradicts what you say.

Then you don’t know how to interpret warranty terms. Furthermore warranty coverage goes way beyond paper and is often the judgement call of a warranty servicer. That’s why your advice is so wreckless. You won a small claims case. Great. But don’t attempt to come off as an expert in warranty interpretation. Leave that to us professionals.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Then you don’t know how to interpret warranty terms. Furthermore warranty coverage goes way beyond paper and is often the judgement call of a warranty servicer. That’s why your advice is so wreckless. You won a small claims case. Great. But don’t attempt to come off as an expert in warranty interpretation. Leave that to us professionals.

So, when you said "professional", you mean yourself? LOL

auslad88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
Australia
Wow didn't expect it to escalate like that :D sorry if it caused problems. Yes I was well aware of the warranty consequences and watched many many videos on youtube (where this is also reiterated).

So I still went ahead with the upgrade with no problems, except for maybe some bad advice from the store I purchased the hard drive from.
I originally ordered a 6TB Seagate Barracuda, after placing the order realized that they had advertised this drive as being a 7200 rpm, and in fact it was only 5400. I contacted the store and asked for the PRO barracuda instead which is the 7200rpm. They didn't have any and it was suggested that i get a 7200 Seagate Ironwolf Pro instead. (advice given was the performance would be the same).

Well as it turns out yes the drive is really good after a cold start but once the drive settles, it does a lot of background tasks and seems to be archiving or doing something to the point that the system slows down and even the launch pad crawls. - so I'm assuming this has something to do with it being a NAS drive not a desktop drive? if someone knowledgeable could confirm that would be great. SO, long story short i purchased a 6tb WD Black instead and waiting on this to arrive.

note: i used the coreStorage/createVolume commands in terminal to re-create the fusion drive.

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it ;)

Reactions: alien3dx

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I don't disagree with anything you said there. BUT there are stories galore about Apple refusing to even work on any iMac that has been opened, warranty or no warranty. I think it's important to mention that when you're advising people to open their iMacs to do upgrades. They're entitled to all the facts, not just your take and not just your experience.
All those stories predate this announcement from the FTC, applies only in the USA obviously.

FTC Staff Warns Companies that It Is Illegal to Condition Warranty Coverage on the Use of Specified Parts or Services
SHARE THIS PAGE

FOR RELEASE
April 10, 2018
TAGS:

The Federal Trade Commission staff has sent warning letters to six major companies that market and sell automobiles, cellular devices, and video gaming systems in the United States.

The letters warn that FTC staff has concerns about the companies’ statements that consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact. Unless warrantors provide the parts or services for free or receive a waiver from the FTC, such statements generally are prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties. Similarly, such statements may be deceptive under the FTC Act.

Each company used different language, but here are examples of questionable provisions:

• The use of [company name] parts is required to keep your . . . manufacturer’s warranties and any extended warranties intact.
  • This warranty shall not apply if this product . . . is used with products not sold or licensed by [company name].
  • This warranty does not apply if this product . . . has had the warranty seal on the [product] altered, defaced, or removed.
“Provisions that tie warranty coverage to the use of particular products or services harm both consumers who pay more for them as well as the small businesses who offer competing products and services,” said Thomas B. Pahl, Acting Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection.

FTC staff has requested that each company review its promotional and warranty materials to ensure that such materials do not state or imply that warranty coverage is conditioned on the use of specific parts of services. In addition, FTC staff requests that each company revise its practices to comply with the law. The letters state that FTC staff will review the companies’ websites after 30 days and that failure to correct any potential violations may result in law enforcement action.

The Federal Trade Commission works to promote competition, and protect and educate consumers. You can learn more about consumer topics and file a consumer complaint online or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357). Like the FTC on Facebook(link is external), follow us on Twitter(link is external), read our blogs and subscribe to press releases for the latest FTC news and resources.

Reactions: tubeexperience

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
None of that has anything to do with Apple's refusal to warranty its computers after you've ripped off the seal and opened the machine. Opening the non-user-upgradable computer is not tearing off a warranty label. Apple has never restricted which parts you can use if the parts are user upgradable. What's user-upgradable is made clear when you make the purchase, and that is part of the purchase decision. You will notice that the letters sent do not indicate that any were sent to any computer manufacturer. That ain't by coincidence.

Reactions: mikehalloran

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
None of that has anything to do with Apple's refusal to warranty its computers after you've ripped off the seal and opened the machine. Opening the non-user-upgradable computer is not tearing off a warranty label. Apple has never restricted which parts you can use if the parts are user upgradable. What's user-upgradable is made clear when you make the purchase, and that is part of the purchase decision. You will notice that the letters sent do not indicate that any were sent to any computer manufacturer. That ain't by coincidence.

By law, Apple cannot refuse warranty simply because the user opened the machine.

The hard drive is user upgradable.

How do I know this?

..because: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-27-inch-late-2013-hdd-ssd-upgrade.2122595/

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
By law, Apple cannot refuse warranty simply because the user opened the machine.

The hard drive is user upgradable.

How do I know this?

..because: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-27-inch-late-2013-hdd-ssd-upgrade.2122595/

You’re right. Technically.

The real issue so many of us are concerned about opening up a new iMac is that if apple decides we broke the computer taking it apart, or they decide that it’s an illegal modification, we don’t have an apple sized army of attorneys or free expert witnesses that will defend our right to open & modify our computers with larger/compatible hard drives.

The cost for a lawyer (if over the limit for small claims), or even the expense needed to get an expert witness to addend a small claims court hearing to testify that there was no user damage when opening is more than most of us are willing to spend, and would be a significant percent of the computer in question.

That is why most of us are reluctant to recommend to others about opening an in warranty iMac, we simply have too little power vs these big corporations.

For an iMac, I think a much better idea is to use an external boot drive, as it is fast enough with usb/thunderbolt, and without the risks of damage (real or imagined by apple) when opening the computer.

(For an MacBook/pro, an external drive would be a portablitliy issue, but an external drive with a desktop computer is not to difficult to manage in my opinion.)

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Show me where "user-upgradable" shows up in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
You're finally right about something in the Magnuson-Warranty Act. It doesn't. Neither does it say that a warranty doesn't have to be honored if someone throws a device down a flight of steps. The Act is not The Bible, is not the entirety of the law when it comes to warranties, and that is probably why in the irrelevant article you keep posting does not say that ANY letters were sent to any computer manufacturers.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
You're finally right about something in the Magnuson-Warranty Act. It doesn't. Neither does it say that a warranty doesn't have to be honored if someone throws a device down a flight of steps. The Act is not The Bible, is not the entirety of the law when it comes to warranties, and that is probably why in the irrelevant article you keep posting does not say that ANY letters were sent to any computer manufacturers.

Your argument is a red herring.

Nowhere did I talked about getting warranty after an accident.

You are right about one thing: the Magnuson-Warranty Act is not like the Bible.

The Magnuson-Warranty Act is the law.

The Bible is not the law.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Your argument is a red herring.

Nowhere did I talked about getting warranty after an accident.

You are right about one thing: the Magnuson-Warranty Act is not like the Bible.

The Magnuson-Warranty Act is the law.

The Bible is not the law.

It's interesting how you pick and choose what to reply to. You ignore the fact that Magnuson-Moss is NOT the entire body of law on warranties. And you ignore the fact that this article that you keep citing makes no complaints about computer manufacturers. Apple, by the way, is a computer manufacturer and has been enforcing the same policies for decades. So your position and advice remains baseless, ill-advised, and potentially harmful to anyone foolish enough to give credence to your legal-sounding, but ultimately empty postings.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
It's interesting how you pick and choose what to reply to. You ignore the fact that Magnuson-Moss is NOT the entire body of law on warranties. And you ignore the fact that this article that you keep citing makes no complaints about computer manufacturers. Apple, by the way, is a computer manufacturer and has been enforcing the same policies for decades. So your position and advice remains baseless, ill-advised, and potentially harmful to anyone foolish enough to give credence to your legal-sounding, but ultimately empty postings.

How come this policy that Apple supposedly had for decades cannot be found in any sort of legal documents?

The Magnuson-Warranty Act is a legal document and you can read it in its entirety.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
How come this policy that Apple supposedly had for decades cannot be found in any sort of legal documents?

The Magnuson-Warranty Act is a legal document and you can read it in its entirety.

When you keep saying that Apple "can't" refuse to honor its warranty because an iMac has been opened, that is false. They can refuse, they do refuse, and have you pointed to no federal agency, court or any other enforcement mechanism that has told Apple otherwise. But yet, you keep telling people that Apple "can't." Your statements are disingenuous.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
When you keep saying that Apple "can't" refuse to honor its warranty because an iMac has been opened, that is false. They can refuse, they do refuse, and have you pointed to no federal agency, court or any other enforcement mechanism that has told Apple otherwise. But yet, you keep telling people that Apple "can't." Your statements are disingenuous.

Apple can also spray you right in the eyes with pepper spray (for trespassing) as soon as you enter the Apple Store then kick you out of the store.

Hoins

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
Ireland
i have a 2017 27” iMac (18,3)

I have a 3tb fusion (the 128gb ssd and the 3tb standard drive) I want to upgrade the standard hard drive to a higher capacity . Does anyone know where I can find a list of compatible hard drives ? Do they still require the fan sensor leads ? Or is this for the older machines ?
Thanks

I just wrote up my experience in doing this here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrade-sata-ssd-on-the-2017-27inch-imac-fusion-drive.2145327/

Also, I didn't install a thermal sensor and the fans don't run and higher than previous.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You are correct.

Well, of cause. If you break it, it's your fault.

Assuming that you purchased the parts from reputable sources, these parts should have their own warranty.

The parts should have their own warranty (Assuming that you purchased the parts from reputable sources)

Absolutely. The display is basically just a big piece of glass held on by double-sided tape.

Assuming that you can handle a glass table top without breaking it, you can absolutely handle the display.

Here are some images of my upgrade ;): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-27-inch-late-2013-hdd-ssd-upgrade.2122595/

Notice, people, that this guy's upgrade was done on a 2013 machine, which of course is long since out of warranty.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.