Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xade

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2016

Rumors suggest Apple's 2016 iPhone 7 will look very similar to the iPhone 6s, with major changes to the iPhone's form factor actually coming in 2017, the year that marks the 10th anniversary of the device's initial launch. Apple blogger John Gruber recently shared some tantalizing details about the 2017 iPhone, which may see some radical design tweaks.

In the latest episode of his podcast The Talk Show, Gruber said he's heard "scuttlebutt" suggesting the 2017 iPhone will include an edge-to-edge display that eliminates the top and bottom bezels on the device, with the front-facing camera, Touch ID, and other sensors hidden under the display.

iphoneconceptimage.jpg

Concept image via ConceptsiPhone
Previous rumors have indicated Apple is planning to introduce a flexible OLED display in the 2017 iPhone, and an OLED display panel would allow for an edge-to-edge screen design. Apple has already signed a deal with Samsung for a portion of the OLED panels it will need for the devices.

Multiple rumors have suggested one 2017 iPhone could include a 5.8-inch OLED display, which would perhaps mean Apple plans to have the display wrap around the edges of a 5.5-inch device, but it is not clear how such a screen size would work without top and bottom bezels as suggested by Gruber.

Along with an OLED display, the iPhone coming in 2017 is rumored to include a glass shell, like the iPhone 4 and 4s, rather than the aluminum body that's been used for the iPhone 5s, 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and SE. Long-range wireless charging and expanded biometric features like iris or facial recognition are also features that have been rumored, along with a 10-nanometer A11 chip from TSMC and NAND flash memory supplied by Samsung.

Apple has been working on developing touch and display driver integration (TTDI) chips since 2015, which would let the Touch ID fingerprint recognition system be embedded directly into the display, allowing for the elimination of the Home button. Analyst rumors have previously suggested the Home button will be removed in the 2017 iPhone, in line with what Gruber has heard.

With Apple planning major design changes for the 2017 iPhone, there have been rumors indicating the devices will not feature an "S" name, with Apple perhaps skipping the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus to move directly to the iPhone 8 or another name.

Article Link: 2017 iPhone May Feature Edge-to-Edge Display With Embedded Touch ID Sensor, Front-Facing Camera

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Whatever it ends up looking like, I am not buying it. These things are expensive and I have yet to utilize all the features and functions of my 6s. When this one dies or can't handle future iOS revisions, then I will consider purchasing a new one. This sounds interesting though. Just can't picture the Touch ID and the Camera/Mic being covered by an edge to edge display. Apple must be working on some really cool magic tricks.

Reactions: 5105973

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I hear that the September 2020 iPhone will have Touch ID activation by your nose bah blah blah! Who cares about such minor rumors about product almost 2 years away? It's like listening to Elon Musk promising to ramp up production of his Teslas beyond reality in a year or so. It's all BS but said to take place of any real progress. Smoke and mirrors!

I did a big analysis of Musk's past predictions. My findings were that:
- Tends to know the exact month something will ship, years in advance.
- Way overestimates how many will be made in the first 6 months.
- Corrects course by underestimating how many will be made in months 7-18, leading to him being exactly right about how many cumulative sales will be made through the first 18 months.

If that holds up, we'll see the Model X shipments exceeding predictions starting Q2 of this year.
We'll also see the first Model 3's delivered in July 2017, but they'll only trickle out in the later half of 2017 (under 40K total by the end of 2017), but then it'll explode in 2018, with shipments of ~560K during 2018, leading to his original prediction of 600K by the end of 2018 being correct.

http://excitementexplained.tumblr.com/post/144006407822/when-will-the-tesla-model-3-actually-ship

---

I feel like having no bezel would lead to... difficulties, in dealing with a display with rounded corners.

Would the entire thing be touch sensitive, or would there be a deadzone alone the outside?

Maybe Apple will handle this the same way they handle the Apple Watch display. Don't actually curve the display - just make it so the background is always a very dark black, so it's difficult to tell where the display ends and the bezel begins.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Unless they can find a way to hide the earpiece speaker behind the display as well, this will never come to fruition.

Also, it will have to be done right otherwise simply holding the phone will constantly touch the display, causing a lot of issues with touch.

TaviDuprix

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Tennessee
I would be happy if the 7 just had a better battery and camera. That would be enough to upgrade but I would be tempted to get on the monthly plan to get this rumored phone next year too.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
May be the first year I may keep an iPhone for 3 years.

I was always on the non-S cycle. Up to the 6. But hoped on the S cycle last year anticipating that this year would be a possible oddity.

Assuming if these speculation are true, and that's a big if, Apple has to weigh whether it is worth the further decline in iPhone sales for another year with a 6S SE model just to have a big update to coincide with the 10-year anniversary

They can do something different to spur sales. Drop the off contract price $50. Make it start at $599 and have 32 GB of memory to start.

So:

SE - 16 GB @ $399
SE - 64 GB @ $499

6s - 16 GB @ $499
6s - 64 GB @ $599

7 - 32 GB @ $599
7 - 64 GB @ $699
7 - 128 GB @ $799
[doublepost=1462988599][/doublepost]
No excuse for this "2017 Phone" coming out in 2017 instead of 2016. A company as capable (and rich) as Apple should have had the 2017 model ready to roll out the door this fall, not next. What do those people do up in Cupertino?

I will avoid the snarky "I suppose you know everything that goes into Apple's plans" comments, but perhaps they intend to make the 2017 iPhone come out on June 29, 2017, thus this 7 is really just a 6 SE

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Under Tim Cook's Apple, they're so over their head and out of ideas, that there's now THREE years between re-design and innovation cycles. My God, fire the guy already.

You do realize that you're reading rumors, right? Something like this is bound to happen eventually but we don't even have proof it's happened yet...and you're calling for the CEO to be fired. You do realize that this isn't the CEO's job, don't you? Not every CEO is hands on in this process like Steve Jobs...

Reactions: citysnaps

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Yeah right, even the camera lens, the proximity sensor and the front speaker are in the screen........this is never going to happen.
I wouldn't expect the phone to be 100% screen like that mock up, but getting the iPhone into the 80%+ screen to overall size would be a huge step.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
Assuming if these speculation are true, and that's a big if, Apple has to weigh whether it is worth the further decline in iPhone sales for another year with a 6S SE model just to have a big update to coincide with the 10-year anniversary

I think this is already their goal. 10 years of iPhone with a new form factor, new tech, and improved iOS will be hard to beat. I fully believe Apple is playing the long-game and we'll see modest updates for 2016. The built up demand, then, for 2017 will be incredible.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

P1otr

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
PL
Great expectations as usual. iPhone 7- as usual. More like its predecessor. Wanna bet?

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
I know it's probably all BS right now but I've now read this a few places. Next year's (2017) iPhone is going to be big changes. Huge. This year, not so much.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Makes me pleased I bought the 6s if this years isn't going to be much to write home about. Probably means a huge amount of pent up demand next year though if loads of people miss the 6se

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
No excuse for this "2017 Phone" coming out in 2017 instead of 2016. A company as capable (and rich) as Apple should have had the 2017 model ready to roll out the door this fall, not next. What do those people do up in Cupertino?

Louis CK was right. just heard about this 5 minutes ago, and already you are pissed you are going to have to wait for it.

Reactions: Tycho24

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Yay! Now I'll have to use my phone sitting flat on my hand so multitouch doesn't get confused about my gripping hand holding the phone. Seriously, go try and hold a GS6 Edge and use it with any part of your fingers touching the sides.

People who like this have no grasp on reality...

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Watch bands :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.