Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
So I have had a beautiful journey so far with my latest MacBook Pro. Not sure how long ago, I bought myself a 2016 MacBook Pro (15") after my late 2011 MacBook Pro (15") finally broke down after six years or so.

[ HISTORY ]

Unfortunately, I think I got several issues including the high-pitched key noises, issues with the trackpad, the cracking noise ... So I went to the Apple certifed seller/repair store where I bought it from.

As from what I recall; I still had an issue after the first repair. Then after the second repair they replaced the wrong entire half of the MacBook Pro even though I told them what the issue was and where it came from. Then I was told that the store did not know how to solve my issue. Called Apple support directly, they said that they knew about the issue, there was a fix, but the store somehow did not get the information yet - even though this was an ongoing issue with many others on this forum as well and it was a certified Apple Premium Apple Reseller store. After the third repair, I got issues with the trackpad all of a sudden.

Done with this nonesense, I called Apple support again directly. They were very helpful and admitted that this was completely just ... it just went completely wrong. They sent a shipping company to pick up the old one and I soon received a 2017 model instead of a 2016 one. Awesome!

[ 2017 MBP ]

For many months my 2017 MacBook Pro (15") has been running very well! The trackpad did always sound a little ... weird sometimes when I tapped it, but honestly compared to what I went through and hoping not to go through all of that again, I was happy with the machine I had.

[ KEYBOARD ISSUE ]

Unfortunately, disaster struck again. I have a keyboard issue all of a sudden. It only appeared to me so recently that I so far found it to be specifically one key to go a little berserk; my "n"-key often registers a keypress twice, while only pressed once. By itself such a little issue, but so frustrating, having to go back and correct those "nn"s all the time when typing.

So, I thought, damn it, I paid about € 3000 for this machine, went through all that misery, and now this. I heard about the recent repair programme from Apple, as apparently I am far from the only one having this issue with this particular laptop because of things - even dust - collecting underneath their keyboard or certain keys and getting stuck.

Note that I am this kind of person who shrugs at the sight of people collecting crumbs and God knows what into their keyboard to let it sit there forever. I already shrug at the sight of fingerprints on my trackpad or keys and try to meticulously wipe it off carefully as it this was my baby. So whatever even got innto this, I assume really that I am not in the wrong here so I decided to call Apple support once again.

They actually did straight out communicated to me that a repair programme was ongoing and my laptop probably would be eligible and I could go visit a nearby Apple store or service point to have it looked at.

So, according to this Apple support staff member on the phone, if my MacBook Pro was indeed afflicted by this particular issue and found eligible for the recent keyboard issue repair programme, they would replace the keyboard with an improved version. He clearly told me, twice even, that this was not going to be the new ones used in the new 2018 MacBook Pros, but that it would be an "improved" version which would not have the issue being that even dust could cause issues like this with the keyboard.

My apologies about the dreadfully long post, so ...

Tldr; what exactly do they mean by this "improved" keyboard version they might put into my 2017 MacBook Pro (15")?
Because my first thought was that they will just replace the keyboard with the "same" but just a new one and then eventually it is bound to happen again on one of the keys, or multiple of them. How will they "improve" it so that they can so confidently assure me that this issue will be fixed, like they did on the phone?

If someone could shed some light on what this "improvement" actually means, that would be great. I would like to know before I consider going through all this again.

Thank you!

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
So I have had a beautiful journey so far with my latest MacBook Pro. Not sure how long ago, I bought myself a 2016 MacBook Pro (15") after my late 2011 MacBook Pro (15") finally broke down after six years or so.

[ HISTORY ]

Unfortunately, I think I got several issues including the high-pitched key noises, issues with the trackpad, the cracking noise ... So I went to the Apple certifed seller/repair store where I bought it from.

As from what I recall; I still had an issue after the first repair. Then after the second repair they replaced the wrong entire half of the MacBook Pro even though I told them what the issue was and where it came from. Then I was told that the store did not know how to solve my issue. Called Apple support directly, they said that they knew about the issue, there was a fix, but the store somehow did not get the information yet - even though this was an ongoing issue with many others on this forum as well and it was a certified Apple Premium Apple Reseller store. After the third repair, I got issues with the trackpad all of a sudden.

Done with this nonesense, I called Apple support again directly. They were very helpful and admitted that this was completely just ... it just went completely wrong. They sent a shipping company to pick up the old one and I soon received a 2017 model instead of a 2016 one. Awesome!

[ 2017 MBP ]

For many months my 2017 MacBook Pro (15") has been running very well! The trackpad did always sound a little ... weird sometimes when I tapped it, but honestly compared to what I went through and hoping not to go through all of that again, I was happy with the machine I had.

[ KEYBOARD ISSUE ]

Unfortunately, disaster struck again. I have a keyboard issue all of a sudden. It only appeared to me so recently that I so far found it to be specifically one key to go a little berserk; my "n"-key often registers a keypress twice, while only pressed once. By itself such a little issue, but so frustrating, having to go back and correct those "nn"s all the time when typing.

So, I thought, damn it, I paid about € 3000 for this machine, went through all that misery, and now this. I heard about the recent repair programme from Apple, as apparently I am far from the only one having this issue with this particular laptop because of things - even dust - collecting underneath their keyboard or certain keys and getting stuck.

Note that I am this kind of person who shrugs at the sight of people collecting crumbs and God knows what into their keyboard to let it sit there forever. I already shrug at the sight of fingerprints on my trackpad or keys and try to meticulously wipe it off carefully as it this was my baby. So whatever even got innto this, I assume really that I am not in the wrong here so I decided to call Apple support once again.

They actually did straight out communicated to me that a repair programme was ongoing and my laptop probably would be eligible and I could go visit a nearby Apple store or service point to have it looked at.

So, according to this Apple support staff member on the phone, if my MacBook Pro was indeed afflicted by this particular issue and found eligible for the recent keyboard issue repair programme, they would replace the keyboard with an improved version. He clearly told me, twice even, that this was not going to be the new ones used in the new 2018 MacBook Pros, but that it would be an "improved" version which would not have the issue being that even dust could cause issues like this with the keyboard.

Tldr; what exactly do they mean by this "improved" keyboard version they might put into my 2017 MacBook Pro (15")?
Because my first thought was that they will just replace the keyboard with the "same" but just a new one and then eventually it is bound to happen again on one of the keys, or multiple of them. How will they "improve" it so that they can so confidently assure me that this issue will be fixed, like they did on the phone?

If someone could shed some light on what this "improvement" actually means, that would be great. I would like to know before I consider going through all this again.

Thank you!
I also have a 2017 MacBook and it saddens me to have to be worrying about keyboard issues and ruins my overall experience with Apple. This is my first macOS device and I switched from windows because I found them unreliable and annoying with the constant updates they force on us! However I'm starting to think windows is far better :/ anyways I think Apple is a liar they're going to give you the same old broken keyboard and it will fail again. They're just making up things to make you feel good
[doublepost=1532461463][/doublepost]

[ HISTORY ]

[ 2017 MBP ]

[ KEYBOARD ISSUE ]

Thank you!
I also have a 2017 MacBook and it saddens me to have to be worrying about keyboard issues and ruins my overall experience with Apple. This is my first macOS device and I switched from windows because I found them unreliable and annoying with the constant updates they force on us! However I'm starting to think windows is far better :/ anyways I think Apple is a liar they're going to give you the same old broken keyboard and it will fail again. They're just making up things to make you feel good
[doublepost=1532461499][/doublepost]
Much better no errors and more quiet! I have no regret with my 2018, it has operated without Friday night and not a single glitch. The keyboard has the same very short travel which I love!

The 2017 was fully refunded.
Fully refunded? How long did you own it

itsasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Much better no errors and more quiet! I have no regret with my 2018, it has operated without Friday night and not a single glitch. The keyboard has the same very short travel which I love!

The 2017 was fully refunded.
I do not think it is possible in any way to get a refund for me. Not that I am aware of at least. This was not purchased with a credit card, I think, and I do not live in the U.S. anyway (I have never heard of this full credit card refund thing here). Or were you able to get a refund from the store itself? Because from what I know, where I live, I cannot get a refund unless I return a product usually within 30 days (if the item has not been used and has the originnal box and everything) or if I make a purchase, get home, and find the product to be DOA or something. This is also a MacBook Pro that was actually a replacement in the first place (from Apple directly, not the store I bought it from), so no idea how that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.