2017 Macbook Pro hardware issues? need AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmaxdmax, Feb 12, 2018.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I haven't been following the forums but sometimes it's obvious that a particular model of computer is just begging for an extended warranty. Others end up being bulletproof though that's more likely with an mature design.

I have a 2.5 month old 2017 15" MBP. So far no problems but everything should work for 10 whole weeks! It replaced a 2012 model that had AppleCare which paid for itself several times over. Meanwhile my teen daughters have 2013 13" MBPs, neither of which has had a single issue.

Thoughts?

2. raqball macrumors 68000

I would not buy nor recommend that anyone buy a 2016 or 2017 without Apple Care +.. An out of warranty KB replacement on these machines is $700+

Make sure you buy it within the 1st 60-days. Apple use to allow a year but recently changed it to 60-days from date of purchase.

3. jerryk macrumors 601

Sad, but this is my advice also.

4. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

Website says that I have until 3/6
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Thanks - that was my inclination unless somebody talked me out of it. With the girls' computers we decided to live on the edge which paid off. They are the only computers where we have done that.

And DW thinks she had a problem with the "N" key but could have been sloppy typing. Not worth the risk.

5. bensisko macrumors 65816

6. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

As much as it pains me to say this as a long-time MBP enthusiast, the current KB design is so prone to failures and replacements are so expensive that I can't possibly recommend to buy a 2016/17 model without some form of extended warranty.

Get AC. If your keys become defective in the future, you'll be thankful you did. If hopefully you're lucky and they don't, you'll enjoy peace of mind for 3 years.

7. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

I don't know about you. I will buy one before my 1 year expired. o_O Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 1.21.20 pm.png

8. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Yeah which is dumb - I didn’t have the cash to but it then - but do now. Now I can’t buy. What’s the point? Hire more engineers and artists and less finance managers.

9. DarkSel macrumors 6502

AFAIK, you can still buy regular AppleCare over the phone within the first year. This does not include accidental damage coverage as it's only the warranty extension.

10. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Hm maybe I’ll call then - at the store and online it’s a no-go.

11. DarkSel macrumors 6502

Make sure you tell them you want the regular AppleCare, not AppleCare+.

12. Scott G. macrumors regular

Where on the site does it show that?

13. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

I'm the owner of a 2016 MBP and I actually think the keyboard is the least of the worries even if it's a common failure complaint. The repeating keys sometimes will fix themselves after a while. I've had the repeating key issue happen intermittently for a few keys, but then the problem would go away. This also sometimes happens with my mechanical keyboards. Something bugs out the switch and they repeat for a while and resolve on their own.

Anyway, I don't worry so much about the keyboard as much because in a worst case scenario, I can always use an external keyboard... which actually I do often anyway.

14. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I would recommend apple care +, the new macs are known to be trouble issues, especially after the one-year warranty ending. It's definitely worth it, if the keyboard has problems that are a $700 fix. I wouldn't recommend apple care for <2015 laptops as they have been less known to cause issues.

15. Shamgar macrumors regular

Companies price their extended warranties to make them money on average, so if you think about the probabilities, it's best to never buy an extended warranty and instead put that money into your emergency fund. That being said, I did get AppleCare on my 2016 MBP. There's nothing inexpensive to repair or replace on that thing and I thought the price was worth some peace of mind to me.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Always get AppleCare. It's a great investment in a laptop.

17. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The probability that the keyboard will fail is far too high with the 2016/17 MBPro design.

IF it fails, it's a $700 repair. Even for only one or two keys.
    Are you willing to "eat that" if it happens to you?

I've always "gone without" AppleCare on all my Macs, but for a 2017 MBPro, I think I'd have to buy it. (But I bought a 2015 design MBPro after the 2016's came out, specifically because I didn't feel right about the keyboard back then!)

18. kudos212 Suspended

This guy doesn't even own a 2016/2017 MacBook Pro So I would take what others say in this forum with a grain of salt.

19. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

If you were referring to my post, yes, I do have a 2016 machine and went through a top case replacement recently. Great computer overall, yet definitely not a bulletproof design.

20. Playfoot macrumors regular

Based on our experience this is a very good recommendation.

21. kudos212 Suspended

no computer has a bulletproof design. They are computers. A small percentage may have to use their warranty. But what is wrong with yours now?

This is anecdotal evidence. Your experience is not the same as everyone else. These MacBook pro's are literally the top selling laptop right now and millions have been sold, and less than 20 people are on these forums complaining about the keyboards. Do the math.

22. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Right now it's working fine and I hope it will continue to do so, then again it's been just 3 weeks or so since the repair, so ask me again in a few months.

There are no absolute guarantees on the reliability of a computer, obviously, with a percentage that will always exhibit problems, yet there are more reliable and less reliable designs. A recurring flaw that involves a basic piece of hardware and is very expensive to repair can be a relevant factor in the decision to buy an expensive machine, and personally I think it's in the best interest of a customer to be aware of it at the time of purchase. But that's just my opinion, to each his own.

23. greenmeanie macrumors 65816

greenmeanie

I have to laugh if Apple equipment is so great why does everyone need Apple Care lol.

24. bensisko macrumors 65816

Because I have never owned any equipment that has been 100% flawless and accidents happen (that may have nothing to do with how good or bad the hardware itself is).

Go ahead and laugh, but it's come in handy MANY times for me, especially when it comes to accidents.

25. raqball macrumors 68000

I'm not really known to be a defender of Apple or the MacBooks but the same can be said for any computer these days. I have a Surface Book and I purchased MS Complete for it.

Why get Apple Care or MS Complete or......? ---> Machines these days are pretty much disposable since everything is soldered onto the MB.. RAM go bad? The cost to fix it would almost the cost of a new machine. SSD go bad? Same.. KB fail? $700...

It's not just Apple Care. I'd recommend that anyone buying a computer where the components are all soldered onto the MB look into a warranty plan of some sort.