Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Choose XR. There’s a reason Apple discontinued the X instead of marking it

The reason is because XS is the replacement and X is too premium to make for lower prices. This happened with iPhone 5 too.

It’s not because XR is “better”.

With that said, XR has a faster cpu, better speakers and better battery life, better single lens camera.

X has a more premium build with smaller bezels, better screen and a dual lens camera.

Which one is better really depends on what you’re looking for in a phone. For most people, XR probably.

Reactions: GuruZac

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The reason is because XS is the replacement and X is too premium to make for lower prices. This happened with iPhone 5 too.

With that said, XR has a faster cpu, better speakers and better battery life, better single lens camera.

X has a more premium build with smaller bezels, better screen and a dual lens camera.

Which one is better really depends on what you’re looking for in a phone. For most people, XR probably.

The iPhone X is still being manufactured and is widely available for $899, whether you're a customer in the U.S., China, or anywhere else. Apple doesn't think the X is popular enough to carry at Apple Stores but carriers are welcome to order new stock and try.

If you ask Apple what makes this year's iPhone "better," it's clear from their September keynote. It's the A12, new camera sensor, and computational photography.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
The iPhone X is still being manufactured and is widely available for $899, whether you're a customer in the U.S., China, or anywhere else. Apple doesn't think the X is popular enough to carry at Apple Stores but carriers are welcome to order new stock and try.

If you ask Apple what makes this year's iPhone "better," it's clear from their September keynote. It's the A12, new camera sensor, and computational photography.

Yes. And if you also ask Apple, they will tell you Super Retina is better than Liquid Retina, steel is more premium than aluminium and mentioning things like thinner bezels, telephoto lens or 2x zoom is just stating the facts.

Which of those things makes a “better” phone, though? That is subjective. Some people will just care about the premium look & feel and may consider the X better for their needs/wants. Other care about performance and XR is objectively better there. And, as I said, for most people it’s probably better to get the XR. I just don’t like absolute statements that try to present personal views as “objective facts”.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I just wanted to add, that I noticed that poster you quoted said to “Choose the XR, because there’s a reason Apple discontinued the X instead of marking it down.”

My reply is, Apple didn’t choose to discontinue the X just to mark it down, they did so, because it would have competed too closely to the XS and they know the consumer would opt for the cheaper option that both phones are fairly similar. It would not make any sense whatsoever to have the 2017 iPhone X and the iPhone XS being offered side-by-side with each other, it’s too much competition and it would take away from the XS sales.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I wouldn't buy an X now, not even for £300. It really was the beta model for the current X range.

Calebtt

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I wouldn't buy an X now, not even for £300. It really was the beta model for the current X range.

My X don’t feel like a beta phone and never did, it was an anniversary model for things to come.

As far as the topic I’d be tempted on the XR over the X.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I get that, but they still sell the 7 & 8... So those buyers should be supported for the same timeframe as an XS buyer surely?

"Any" phone bought today should have the same usable life. Hence a cheap X via a reseller is still a consideration.
If you’re close to Joplin Missouri I have an iPhone X that’s in perfect shape I’d sell. The accessories haven’t even been taken out the box. Comes with a LifeProof case to. No scratches or anything.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

Not really

2018 iPhones are as marginal as generational improvements have ever been
[doublepost=1544922025][/doublepost]
Going through this debate right now. I think the XR is just too big.

X is definitely a much more premium feeling device.

But the XR is newer, and has terrific battery life

I like both phones. For me, 3D Touch + oled, slimmer design and bezels edges the X out

But if I was recommending I’d say same - go for XR

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Not really

2018 iPhones are as marginal as generational improvements have ever been
[doublepost=1544922025][/doublepost]

X is definitely a much more premium feeling device.

But the XR is newer, and has terrific battery life

I like both phones. For me, 3D Touch + oled, slimmer design and bezels edges the X out

But if I was recommending I’d say same - go for XR

I think the size is going to be the deciding factor for me. I already think the 8/X are borderline too big. So another 0.3" puts the XR over the top in my opinion. If the XR was the same size as the X/XS, this would be an easy decision to choose the XR.

I believe that if the XR was the same size as the XS/X, the XS would have abysmal sales and that apple probably thought of that in choosing sizes.

Reactions: nordique

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Going through this debate right now. I think the XR is just too big.

Compared to what? I mentioned in another thread it is thicker and heavier, but if someone was upgrading from the Plus model, it may be an easier transition, being that was a fairly large phone, but the trade off being virtually bezel-less, outstanding battery life and Face ID with wireless charging would be enough for me. (Although, the Max is my preference for different reasons.)

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Compared to what? I mentioned in another thread it is thicker and heavier, but if someone was upgrading from the Plus model, it may be an easier transition, being that was a fairly large phone, but the trade off being virtually bezel-less, outstanding battery life and Face ID with wireless charging would be enough for me. (Although, the Max is my preference for different reasons.)

I'm coming from an SE and already think that the 8/X are borderline too big.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I think the size is going to be the deciding factor for me. I already think the 8/X are borderline too big. So another 0.3" puts the XR over the top in my opinion. If the XR was the same size as the X/XS, this would be an easy decision to choose the XR.

I believe that if the XR was the same size as the XS/X, the XS would have abysmal sales and that apple probably thought of that in choosing sizes.

If you feel the X is too big, and the 7/8 are also borderline big, the best way to explain the XR is that it’s closer in size to the Plus model phones in the hand

It’s also the thickest iPhone to date., and pretty heavy. Feels industrial. Some may like that but if the SE is what you’re used to it’s going to feel much heavier in addition to feeling big

You can always buy one, give it a go, and return it or exchange it for a different device

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I was contemplating the same decision, but ultimately don’t find the X/XS screen that much better for me, and with all the other improvements the XR brings vs the X in camera and processing power, and with the continuing implementation of Haptic Feedback, the loss of 3D Touch isn’t a huge deal, the XR became a no brainer. If I could change two things about the XR after using it a few days, it would be to have system wide Haptic Touch similar to 3D Touch, at least for all native Apple apps, and allow the use of portrait mode for non-human subjects. But I can say, without a doubt, the screen is awesome. After years of iPhone Plus models, the last 2 years with the 7 Plus, I don’t see any real difference in screen sharpness. I do notice better scrolling thanks to the 120hz, I do notice True Tone, and more vibrant overall colors vs the 7 Plus.

Last edited:

appleoverload

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
i've had the XR for a couple weeks and I'm debating this question myself.

I compared my XR and the X at bestbuy today and it was the first time I've had regrets about the XR...i think in many ways I'm more of regular iphone size guy than a plus iphone size guy esp when you start adding cases...that's a personal preference thing so i'm def not saying one phone is better than the other.

i watched some youtube videos side by side, airdropped a couple photos to both and compared and did a little web surfing....honestly i think if you handed both the x and the xr to the average person they would be hard pressed to find differences beyond the size/colors

two handed use on the XR feels great esp with reachibility. one handed use feels super awkward depending on the task at hand. yesterday i was trying to take a picture of an exhaust bolt on my car i need to work on and it was really challenging for me to take a pic with the XR with one hand and hold the flashlight with the other....and that is with a thin clear case...i checked out the lifeproof slam case and i swear it adds a cm to the width even with the clear case on

edit: to summarize: to answer the thread question for the same price, IMO it's the individual's preference in size that makes either the X or the XR the better buy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.