Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which config?

  • 2.2/16GB/512GB/555x

    Votes: 24 36.9%
  • 2.2/16GB/512GB/560x

    Votes: 13 20.0%
  • 2.6/16GB/512GB/560x

    Votes: 28 43.1%

  • Total voters
    65

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
So decided my 13” MBP (i5/16GB/512GB) is going back as whilst I enjoy the portability, the screen is too small for me so I’m going to get the 15” instead.

Narrowed it down to 3 choices basically:
1) 2.2 i7/16GB/512GB/555x - £2377
2) 2.2 i7/16GB/512GB/560x - £2462
3) 2.6 i7/16GB/512GB/560x - £2536

I’m leaning towards the base processor but that £85 upgrade for the 560x is tempting though I probably wouldn’t need the extra cores to be honest.

However, if I do that then one could argue what’s another £74 for the processor upgrade to the 2.6 i7, which has the bonus of being an off the shelf model...though it does feels like throwing money at something for minimal if any gain unlike the 560x which supposedly will have more of an impact albeit perhaps not in my use case (occasional 4K editing and photoshop work).
 
Last edited:

Momo13Drums

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
58
59
I think the 2.6/16/512/560x offers the best all around value. I've been debating this myself. Once you upgrade to the 560x you might as well spend the extra $80 or whatever to get the 2.6 as well.

I debated this for a while now myself, but I think I'm gonna go with the 2.6/16/512/560x. I tried the base model (2.2/555) at the store and it was blazing fast even as a stock base model. If you're upgrading from anything like 5-10 years old I would say it's gonna be a mega upgrade either way, so buy what fits your budget. I wanted a 1TB drive upgrade but the price is insane. $400~ for an extra 512gb is too much when you can buy a 1TB external that is small enough to fit into any pants pocket for $280, and fast enough to edit video and work off of to boot.

I think if you're going to edit 4k and do photoshop work I'd just go in for the 2.6/560x/512 etc combo. It's a small increase in price.
 

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
836
806
Leeds, UK
I have option 3, the only reason being - it’s what the Apple shop in Leeds had in. I’d thought about the 13” and an eGPU but the 16GB RAM was a BTO with a 10 day wait.

The machine I have is absolutely exceeding my expectations of a computer - it handles UE and Unity extremely well and I’m enjoying the 15 screen size.

I’m just unsure on value/price, I’ve been a hairs breadth away from just building a PC/hackintosh for myself since Christmas and the cost would be £1500 cheaper and I already have a 4K monitor. If you are dead set on spending the £2k+ then why not just get option 3, in percentage terms it’s a minimal increase for some extra capability and longevity. Personally I’m not overly excited about spending £2k+ on a machine in the first place - so that’s my decision to make in the next few days.

Go option 3!
 

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
I think the 2.6/16/512/560x offers the best all around value. I've been debating this myself. Once you upgrade to the 560x you might as well spend the extra $80 or whatever to get the 2.6 as well.

I debated this for a while now myself, but I think I'm gonna go with the 2.6/16/512/560x. I tried the base model (2.2/555) at the store and it was blazing fast even as a stock base model. If you're upgrading from anything like 5-10 years old I would say it's gonna be a mega upgrade either way, so buy what fits your budget. I wanted a 1TB drive upgrade but the price is insane. $400~ for an extra 512gb is too much when you can buy a 1TB external that is small enough to fit into any pants pocket for $280, and fast enough to edit video and work off of to boot.

I think if you're going to edit 4k and do photoshop work I'd just go in for the 2.6/560x/512 etc combo. It's a small increase in price.

Yeah I’m coming from a mid 2010 15” MBP so the 13” I’m planning to return feels so much snappier.

I know it seems like a small price bump to go for the 2.6 i7 model but as I’m self employed I can claim it as an expense and get 20% of the cost back from HMRC so with the first 2 options I’d be spending significantly less than £2k, which would make me feel less guilty about the size of outlay when a windows equivalent would be significantly less :D
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Petetastic

Adeel_

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2018
65
32
For me the option 2 is the best because you don’t have a big gap of performance between 2.2 and 2.6.
I didn’t read any review but some users are reporting that the 2.2 run a bit cooler than the 2.6 model
 

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
73,309
43,134
I opted for the base model with 512GB and its been a great computer.

Since you were content with the performance of 13" MBP w/o a dGPU, why not get the 2.2/555x model? The problem is the cost, you upgrade the SSD, the price goes up, and then you're closer to the middle tier and so why not pay a little more and the get middle one, then you're not terribly far off the high end.

I think overall you're not going to see a major speed increase from 2.2 to 2.6 and many tests seem to indicate the 2.2 is faster and cooler so that leaves going with the middle tier for the 560X. Do you use any applications that would fully take advantage of the GPU?
 

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
I opted for the base model with 512GB and its been a great computer.

Since you were content with the performance of 13" MBP w/o a dGPU, why not get the 2.2/555x model? The problem is the cost, you upgrade the SSD, the price goes up, and then you're closer to the middle tier and so why not pay a little more and the get middle one, then you're not terribly far off the high end.

I think overall you're not going to see a major speed increase from 2.2 to 2.6 and many tests seem to indicate the 2.2 is faster and cooler so that leaves going with the middle tier for the 560X. Do you use any applications that would fully take advantage of the GPU?

Your point about upgrades bringing the price of the base closer to the middle and high end options is why I’m conflicted...I know the stock base 15” with the SSD upgrade would be more than fine for my needs. As for whether I need the 560x, I guess not currently but if it is 20-25% faster would that give the machine a little more longevity (planning to keep it for 5-6 years at least)? Then again will it run hotter/affect battery life negatively.
 

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
73,309
43,134
I guess not currently but if it is 20-25% faster would that give the machine a little more longevity
It will be only noticeable in any applications that need a GPU. I don't believe you're making the machine more future proof by upgrading the GPU, unless you have a need for that GPU power. Since you originally purchased a MBP w/o a dGPU, it seems you may not have that need. I could be. wrong, and I get your logic.

I suppose if I had the money, maybe I would have opted for the 560X, but I just couldn't justify spending that much money, it was pushing the $3,000 mark with that model. I don't play games on my MBP, the apps I use don't leverage the GPU and I have zero concerns about its longevity, so (for me), why buy it? My usage, is not your usage, so I can only say how it fits my needs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vazza

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
It will be only noticeable in any applications that need a GPU. I don't believe you're making the machine more future proof by upgrading the GPU, unless you have a need for that GPU power. Since you originally purchased a MBP w/o a dGPU, it seems you may not have that need. I could be. wrong, and I get your logic.

I suppose if I had the money, maybe I would have opted for the 560X, but I just couldn't justify spending that much money, it was pushing the $3,000 mark with that model. I don't play games on my MBP, the apps I use don't leverage the GPU and I have zero concerns about its longevity, so (for me), why buy it? My usage, is not your usage, so I can only say how it fits my needs.

No I think my thoughts are similar to yours to be honest. My uses are occasional 4K video eiditing and photoshop work so the dGPU is a bonus rather than a necessity.
 

svgn

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2018
136
130
Get the base model and save some money for accessories. You won't notice the minimal performance increase.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vazza

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
468
455
RE 512 upgrade pricing bringing you close to mid-tier cost - It's so ridiculous that Apple only puts 256 GB in the $2400 base model.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vazza

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
7,415
4,204
SF Bay Area
I did option 3. My computer is a business expense, so that negates some of the cost issues. But, like you I do occasionally use Photoshop, and in my case with Lightroom, so a slight GPU upgrade may come in handy. And since it is used for business I like the idea of being able to, in the worse case, get the same configuration at any Apple store instead of having to wait days for a replacement or repair.
 

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
I did option 3. My computer is a business expense, so that negates some of the cost issues. But, like you I do occasionally use Photoshop, and in my case with Lightroom, so a slight GPU upgrade may come in handy. And since it is used for business I like the idea of being able to, in the worse case, get the same configuration at any Apple store instead of having to wait days for a replacement or repair.

Oh I’d be claiming it as a business expense too so would get 20% of the cost back but for the first two options it’d work out way less than £2000 making it more palatable to my wallet whereas the 3rd option would be over £2000 still even after.
 

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
7,415
4,204
SF Bay Area
Oh I’d be claiming it as a business expense too so would get 20% of the cost back but for the first two options it’d work out way less than £2000 whereas the 3rd option would be over £2000 still even after.

Is there something special about 2000 pounds in the UK?

Here in the US, we can deduct the full cost of smallish expenses (under 15,000 USD or so) 100% on our business taxes. Does it work differently there?
 

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
Is there something special about 2000 pounds in the UK?

Here in the US, we can deduct the full cost of smallish expenses (under 15,000 USD or so) 100% on our business taxes. Does it work differently there?

Nothing special about getting it for sub £2000 except it makes me feel less guilty buying the laptop :p

As far as my limited understanding goes, if you’re self employed then the amount of tax you pay is not reduced by the amount of the expenses, but by the tax that would be due on that amount. So say my only expense in a year is the laptop and it is 100% used for my business then I can deduct the whole cost of the laptop from my income when working out the tax owed for the year. I think o_O (which is why I pay an accountant :D)...
 
  • Like
Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
7,415
4,204
SF Bay Area
Nothing special about getting it for sub £2000 except it makes me feel less guilty buying the laptop :p

As far as my limited understanding goes, if you’re self employed then the amount of tax you pay is not reduced by the amount of the expenses, but by the tax that would be due on that amount. So say my only expense in a year is the laptop and it is 100% used for my business then I can deduct the whole cost of the laptop from my income when working out the tax owed for the year. I think o_O (which is why I pay an accountant :D)...


I understand the guilt part. But, I figure I will make better use of the goods than the Government would with the tax money.;)

So we take every legal deduction available to reduce the corporation's taxable income.
 
Last edited:

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
I’m very close to deciding on getting the base model with the 555x and upgraded SSD thanks to @DannEboE and @Thysanoptera here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/thoughts-and-tests-on-the-2-2ghz-macbook-pro.2131845/

The performance of the 560x is around 17-20% better than the 555x in GPU intensive benchmarks but it also means that it’s around 22% hotter and I like the idea of a cooler and quieter laptop, plus the extra £90 that’ll be in my wallet by not upgrading the GPU is the cherry on top. I do think however that if your livelihood involved 3D rendering or daily editing of 4K videos then the 560x is a no brainer...
 

DaveMike11

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
142
10
I also was in the same dilemma. I choose option # 3 since i was planning to use this system for a longer time. i had only two pre-configured options to choose option # 3 based on the recommendations from this group.
 

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
653
402
You know how I feel. #3 option all the way. The price difference after adding upgraded SSD and possibly 560x puts you right at about what option 3 costs and you get the luxury of the 2.6 vs the 2.2 and a non BTO option that apple can replace at any store at anytime.
[doublepost=1534209271][/doublepost]Also to add to this, after having gone back and forth and purchasing a few different configs of both a 13 and 15, I would always feel regret after not spending a little bit more for the better model, never did I say to myself with the better model" I should of got the cheaper one". Once the 14 days are over you are stuck with what you got and its always better to be stuck with a more powerful configuration than to later realize you should of spent a little more.
 

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
You know how I feel. #3 option all the way. The price difference after adding upgraded SSD and possibly 560x puts you right at about what option 3 costs and you get the luxury of the 2.6 vs the 2.2 and a non BTO option that apple can replace at any store at anytime.
[doublepost=1534209271][/doublepost]Also to add to this, after having gone back and forth and purchasing a few different configs of both a 13 and 15, I would always feel regret after not spending a little bit more for the better model, never did I say to myself with the better model" I should of got the cheaper one". Once the 14 days are over you are stuck with what you got and its always better to be stuck with a more powerful configuration than to later realize you should of spent a little more.

I would agree with you normally but with this generation of MBP, heat is an issue and I tend to prefer cooler/quieter laptops and the base 2.2 i7 with 555x fits this better than the 2.6 i7 with the 560x.

I mean I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford a maxed out i9 without having to worry about the cost too much but that doesn’t mean I should do it (right?!) :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: Thysanoptera

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
661
398
London, UK
I have option 3, the only reason being - it’s what the Apple shop in Leeds had in. I’d thought about the 13” and an eGPU but the 16GB RAM was a BTO with a 10 day wait.

The machine I have is absolutely exceeding my expectations of a computer - it handles UE and Unity extremely well and I’m enjoying the 15 screen size.

I’m just unsure on value/price, I’ve been a hairs breadth away from just building a PC/hackintosh for myself since Christmas and the cost would be £1500 cheaper and I already have a 4K monitor. If you are dead set on spending the £2k+ then why not just get option 3, in percentage terms it’s a minimal increase for some extra capability and longevity. Personally I’m not overly excited about spending £2k+ on a machine in the first place - so that’s my decision to make in the next few days.

Go option 3!

So what did you decide in the end?
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.