2018 iPhones Again Said to Have Faster 18W USB-C Charger in Box

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's widely rumored trio of new iPhone models expected to be announced in September will feature 18-watt USB-C power adapters in the box for much faster wired charging, according to ChargerLab.

[​IMG]
    ChargerLab's render of European version of Apple's rumored 18W USB-C charger

The new, rounder-shaped power adapter would connect to an iPhone with a Lightning to USB-C cable, also expected to be included in the box, enabling much faster charging speeds than the tiny square-shaped 5W power adapter included with current iPhones. A render of the European version is shown above.

MacRumors tested the iPhone X with various third-party 18W wired chargers last year, for example, and found that the device reached a 79 percent charge after one hour. With a 5W charger, the iPhone X only reached a 39 percent charge in that time. We explained our methodology in detail in that article.

Today's report, based on information from "inside the production line," corroborates a post on Chinese social network Weibo that also claimed 2018 iPhones will come with an 18W USB-C charger and a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box. That report included drawings of what the North American charger may look like.

[​IMG]

All in all, the new 18W power adapter would generally charge an iPhone at least twice as fast as the current 5W charger. Fast charging is supported by the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and presumably future models, rumored to include a new iPhone X, a larger iPhone X Plus, and a lower-priced 6.1-inch iPhone.

Article Link: 2018 iPhones Again Said to Have Faster 18W USB-C Charger in Box

2. fede777 macrumors newbie

fede777

3. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

They better have the fastest charger available included. This penny pinching and converting the buying process into RPG game was getting ridiculous.

4. jmarttu24 macrumors member

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer it separately for 3 easy payments of $79.99

5. Xavier macrumors 68030

Makes sense to include it in the box. I salvaged a few iPad chargers from others to use with my devices over the years.

6. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Yeah, the 5w chargers are a joke. Who even uses them? I have a drawer full of them still in the wrapper.

7. now i see it macrumors 68000

I'll bet that from a materials cost (BOM) and manufacturing perspective, manufacturing a higher output charger doesn't cost much more money if any than the little 5W charger. The artificial elevated prices of these higher powered chargers only exists because Apple enjoys jacking up the price.

8. enmanuelrrr macrumors member

Finally! I think Apple should have included the fast charger and a Lightning to USB-C cable with the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X.

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

been using an iPad brick since my iPhone 5. long overdue.

10. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

Does it reduce battery life if you always charge using fast charging ?

11. creepyTowel macrumors newbie

creepyTowel

Does this mean the models mentioned (iPhone 8 and so on) could be charged by (for instance) a MacBook Pro USB-C charger with a USB-C to Lightning cable, drawing enough juice for its need? Or could the 65W rating of the power supply damage it?

12. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502

Internet Enzyme

what the hell even is that “render” of the european version it looks like a **** blender beginner’s render and what exactly even about their design differentiates it from the standard non-usb c wall wart

13. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502

TheShadowKnows!

Fast-charging for iPad typically has meant 2.1A@5VDC, or 10.5W chargers. Traditionally Apple-included iPhone chargers are 1A@5VDC, or 5W.

With 1these 8W chargers, then the amperage is scaled-up to 3.6A@5VDC. Or a whopping 360%.

I assume that the charged device controls the amperage supplied by the charger, via current limiting. Or, otherwise, bad things will happen.

14. givemeanapple macrumors 6502a

givemeanapple

This is true iNovation! As always Apple leading the market foward :rolleyes:

15. jaredpetersen macrumors newbie

jaredpetersen

I hope it's not damaging. I use my macbook pro USB-C charger for my phone all the time.

16. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

So, the charger has USB-C and the phone Lighting?

Elegant. Simply elegant solution.

17. enmanuelrrr macrumors member

That's a very good question and a very common one. It does not affect battery life but it generates more heat than slow charging. Now, heat does impact battery lifespan and it damages your battery quick.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2018 ---
    Yes, the iPhone regulates the current it is receiving. It doesn't matter if you charge it with a 29W or 87W USB-C charger.

18. citysnaps macrumors 68040

Imagine the "Thanks Apple for making my life miserable" whine-fest that would be happening here if Apple were to change the phone to USB-C.

Apple will supply the right cable.

19. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Sarcasm I assume? :)

20. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

FrenchRoasted

Apple's philosophy is to price products based on their own idea of how insanely great magical they are to us, the fortunate customer. At a bare minimum, they get their 50% gross margin; be it laptop, cable or dongle.

21. Geardo_Ranger macrumors member

Geardo_Ranger

Don't forget they are also supposedly removing the lightning to 3.5 audio jack dongle from the box.

22. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Honestly, who cares? Until they implement USB-C, Apple's decisions are irrelevant and a joke.

23. enmanuelrrr macrumors member

I thought they would remove it with the 2017 iPhone lineup. I assume they would remove the adapter this year as people are buying bluetooth headphones and Airpods...

24. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

As you can tell from the replies, a lot of people care.

You cry and whine about literally everything. If they offered USB-C phones, you'd be whining that your existing peripherals don't work.

25. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Better late than never. 5W is embarrassing for a $1K phone. Even $50 phones come with 10W.