Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewmarich

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
You always could do that, just that you needed to purchase an additional cable. But otherwise, it was very much doable.

I think you missed my point..

I bought two top of the line products, MacBook Pro and iPhone X and couldn't connect them out of the box.. Ofcourse I can buy another cable, I know its doable, anything is doable..

Their logic is hard to understand, 2 different strategies. They commit to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) but don't get rid of the headphone jack on the Mac.. They get rid of headphone jack on iPhone but give you the cable so that you can still use a headphone jack until you transition to wireless options.. I just bought a Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard and they come with the USB cable, I am hemorrhaging USB cables, there is nowhere to plug them on a modern system..

Maybe they could lower the prices of the products slightly and the cables could be sold separately ?

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Being a standard which Apple controls, I am generally assured of better quality lightning cables and accessories compared to usb C alternatives . . .

That is not my experience, nor that of family & friends.

Apple iPhone cables are pretty poor. They were on the early iPhones with the large connector and they are with Lightning.

They always seem to fray and then break at the join between the connector and the start of the cable itself.

Also, on the other point, universal standards get my vote over proprietary offerings in the vast majority of scenarios.

Last edited:

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Wow. There is absolutely no point in keeping Lightning alive for another year. There was a point to the dock connector. There was almost (but not really) a point to Lightning over micro-USB.

But there is absolutely no reason to put a lightning connector on ANY new phone, when USB will do just fine now. It's well past time for Apple to abandon the proprietary connectors and move to an actual standard on the iPhone.

Speaking of standards, the headphone jack is a really good one, and it should be brought back. THAT would be real courage, Apple - admitting when you're idiotically wrong.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
If they have owned any previous iOS product, they would already have a Lightning to USB-A cable.

And as you note, I expect the majority of people sync via WiFi (it's arguably faster since the cable connection only supports USB 2.0 speeds).

No it is not faster over WIFI and most cars you would need an adapter for. Actually you wouldn't never mind, just need to use the cable we have now

[doublepost=1525751911][/doublepost]
I don’t expect heated seats, a sunroof, and better tyres on a Honda Civic

You can't be serious? I just paid less than 22,000 and have all those things plus a reliable car with great gas mileage

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Their logic is hard to understand, 2 different strategies. They commit to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) but don't get rid of the headphone jack on the Mac.. They get rid of headphone jack on iPhone but give you the cable so that you can still use a headphone jack until you transition to wireless options.. I just bought a Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard and they come with the USB cable, I am hemorrhaging USB cables, there is nowhere to plug them on a modern system..

It’s not very hard to understand.

The headphone jack had to go to make way for the iPhone X design. At the same time, Apple is building a narrative around the use of the iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods. They all connect wirelessly, and when AirPower is released, will charge wirelessly as well.

Apple is basically removing the headphone jack to also help spur demand for their W1 chip, which will likely play a greater role in their wearables line (like the AR glasses).

The headphone jack stays on the Mac for the wired accessories you still need to use, such as microphones, but ideally, it’s AirPods all the way. The Magic Mouse and keyboard are more typically used with the imac they come bundled with.

Likewise, more people are charging their phones via usb chargers than their laptops. I to think Apple will eventually transition to USB C eventually, and what we are experiencing now are transition pains.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
So we can finally charge iPhones from new MacBook Pro's.. Right on time Apple ! Haha
It will use exactly the same cable you could already have been using for years with your MacBook Pro: USB-C plug to Lightning plug.

But I don’t think it be rumor is true. Most people charge while they’re sleeping, so what does it matter if it takes an hour vs. 2.5 hours? If you’re one of the 5-10% who need to fast charge during the day, buy the fast charger. Apple is unlikely to supply a charger that 90-95% of people don’t need.

Plus, the $19 12W iPad charger is almost as fast as USB-C, and you can use all your old cables.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Being a standard which Apple controls, I am generally assured of better quality lightning cables and accessories compared to usb C alternatives.

Plus, lightning feels more reinforced and sturdy overall. The iPhone stand by Apple is essentially a single male lightning connector which has to support the weight of an entire iPhone. I am dubious as to whether usb C, which is hollow inside, is as durable. Also, I disagree on the durability of Apple cables. They are pretty subpar.

When it comes to standards, I find that Apple’s own closed standards are at least comparable, and often superior, to industry standards (for those entrenched in the Apple ecosystem in the very least).
This is true I suppose, but it's not hard to make faulty USB chargers that are supposedly MFI certified, and at the end of the day if you're going to use shoddy cables, it's you who runs the risk of damaging the phone. USB-C also has protections for this kind of thing.

Why would you use an iPhone in a traditional dock when you can just use a wireless charging stand or base at night? Seems a bit redundant. It makes no sense to fragment the iOS devices nowadays, especially with the MacBook line all moving to USB C for example.
[doublepost=1525816844][/doublepost]
It’s not very hard to understand.

The headphone jack had to go to make way for the iPhone X design. At the same time, Apple is building a narrative around the use of the iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods. They all connect wirelessly, and when AirPower is released, will charge wirelessly as well.

Apple is basically removing the headphone jack to also help spur demand for their W1 chip, which will likely play a greater role in their wearables line (like the AR glasses).

The headphone jack stays on the Mac for the wired accessories you still need to use, such as microphones, but ideally, it’s AirPods all the way. The Magic Mouse and keyboard are more typically used with the imac they come bundled with.

Likewise, more people are charging their phones via usb chargers than their laptops. I to think Apple will eventually transition to USB C eventually, and what we are experiencing now are transition pains.
You do realise the headphone jack was removed the year before, with the iPhone 7 design right? I personally would prefer they got rid of it across the board, and gave the MacBook another USB-C port (you could use USB-C headphones then) and this is another reason why Apple should go USB-C on the iPhone. Lightning headphones are useless on anything other than an iPhone. This fragmentation makes no sense.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You do realise the headphone jack was removed the year before, with the iPhone 7 design right?

Yup. To give consumers one year to accept the loss of the headphone jack and get that controversy out of the way.

Apple has clearly thought this one through.

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
I'm pretty sure they'll just add that and raise the price another measly $100 to cover the costs. Because it's the Apple's courageous way.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Android is not garbage, I had all the iphones since the 3, and last year switched from the iphone 7 plus to the Note 8 because I didn't like the X. Guess what, the Note 8 is the best phone I ever had so far. Android has come a long way, any flagship phone these days won't disappoint. You need to get with the times, seems like your still stuck in the past.
I owned a flagship Android (Note 4 and 5) and it was the worst phone I've ever owned. Literally didn't get a software update for 3 years.
[doublepost=1526157245][/doublepost]
Where do I start with this? Android is an OS, not a hardware manufacturer (the closest you'll get to is probably Google, who are actually shipping pretty decent phones in my opinion. As much as I prefer iOS to Android I'm OK with admitting that Apple are quite stingy when it comes to the accessories. I wouldn't have minded a USB C cable at least for my iPhone X considering it cost me £1149.
I know this. When I said Android, I mentioned any hardware manufacturer producing a phone that runs Android. Doesn't matter who.

The Pixel is a rounding error in the smartphone game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.