2018 MacBook Pro Has 'Quieter' Keyboard, But Unclear if Sticky and Unresponsive Key Issues Addressed

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released new 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models that feature "improved" and "quieter" third-generation keyboards, but it's unclear if issues with sticky or unresponsive keys have been addressed.

[​IMG]

TechCrunch's Brian Heater:
    Heater speculates that Apple may not have had enough lead time to completely redesign the keyboard on the 2018 MacBook Pro, as despite years of anecdotal complaints, the situation only developed into a furor more recently.

iMore's Rene Ritchie is more optimistic that Apple hopefully reengineered the keyboards to have improved reliability:
    The Verge's Dieter Bohn, however, says the third-generation keyboard "wasn't designed to solve those issues," based on what Apple told him during a press briefing for the new MacBook Pro earlier this week.
    That can be interpreted in two ways: either Apple has not made any structural changes to the keyboard to address the issues outlined in its service program, or it has and doesn't want to acknowledge it on the record.

Engadget's Dana Wollman also believes, based on Apple's information, that the "stability and precision of the keys remain unchanged":
    MacRumors reached out to Apple for clarification, but we did not immediately receive a response. We'll update if we hear back.

For context, following years of anecdotal complaints from customers, and a few class action lawsuits, Apple initiated a worldwide service program last month, offering free repairs of 2015-and-later MacBook and 2016-and-later MacBook Pro keyboards, which have low-profile butterfly switch mechanisms.

We've already reported about the service program in more detail, but the gist is that affected MacBook and MacBook Pro models can experience issues with sticky, unresponsive, or inconsistently functioning keys when small particles like dust or crumbs get stuck underneath the shallow keycaps.

Teardowns and extended usage of the 2018 MacBook Pro keyboards should reveal whether the issues have been fully addressed.

Article Link: 2018 MacBook Pro Has 'Quieter' Keyboard, But Unclear if Sticky and Unresponsive Key Issues Addressed

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Don't be a slob around your $2000 device and it shouldn't be an issue.

It's absolutely gross how people treat their digital devices. "I'm gonna take this phone in the bathroom, touch it after touching the toilet seat or lid which gets toilet water splashed on it every time it's flushed then sits in a humid environment where germs multiply, play on this phone then put it in my pocket when I'm done, where it's also warm and the germs multiply further, then stick that phone against my face and mouth when it rings."

3. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

Ma2k5

Ridiculous to think the issues only happen due to being slobs. If that was the case, we wouldn’t have had a repair programme...

4. osx86 macrumors newbie

osx86

5. val.kalinic Suspended

val.kalinic

[keyboards failing, bad press, multiple class action lawsuits, worldwide recall program active]
    Apple: “Oh let’s make the clicks quieter”

6. DragonRider macrumors newbie

DragonRider

For some of us its life due to environmental issues outside our control.... Or kids on laps... or an accident....

7. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

8. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I'm just hoping they refresh the non touchbar too. Same internals as the touchbar, just no touchbar please.

9. patjem macrumors member

patjem

Was that on purpose by iMore's Rene Ritchie? :)

It's a 3rd generation Butterfly and Dome switch set up. That's not what scissor-key fans are going to want to hear, but Apple believes it's a better, more stable, more precise overall typing experience and is sticking with it.

10. macpodman Suspended

I thought the main problem was due to dust not food getting under the keys.

11. busuan macrumors newbie

Quieter key strokes in an office is all good, until "Hey Siri" "Hey Siri!" "HEY SIRI!!!"

12. Appleaker macrumors 68020

This keyboard was developed last year because of the backlash against the 2016 keyboard. It wasn't some rushed change they did in the past few months. While it wasn't designed with durability first, I think it will be more durable. I believe it is using a MagLev system similar to that of the 2018 Dell XPS notebooks.

13. TimmeyCook, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

4 years of warranty by Apple, Inc.

Don't really care about those YouTube divas, drama queens and etc.

Apple has something the competitors can't have?

Of course they are fighting it. Like they do on the TouchBar. Like they do on FaceID. Like they did for a while on TouchID. Like they always do when Apple comes with something that's protected by patents.

It's all money. The sites that say that "it's not good", are the sites that tell me to buy Windows and Android. Of course, I'm following their "recommendations". I'm not buying The Verge's Huawei Matebook whatever.

14. kevmclane macrumors regular

kevmclane

I just wish the keyboard backlight on my 2017 Pro didn’t turn yellow...

15. Blizzardman macrumors regular

Blizzardman

I went from a 2016 TouchBar MBP with HORRIBLE keyboard issues to a 2017 Model with 0 issues so far. I think the "fix" they made for the keyboards breaking was implemented in the 2017 model with the "nub" added under the keys.

16. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

This bad hot taek is luke warm at best. Entirely misdirected at it's worst. The entire argument about a laptop consists of complaining about someone taking a phone to the bathroom. o_O

17. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

I opted for a silicone keyboard cover to help quiet the keys. Definitely made a difference, but it's still consierabley louder then the previous generation keyboard.

18. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

Apple made the keyboard quieter so that when the keys stop working you wont be able to tell if it's because they're broken or if you just failed to press them.

19. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Shareholder Reality Distortion Field.

20. c3pa macrumors member

It could also have blacker keys.

There's some problem solving skills we have right there, hey, Apple?

21. Sound214 macrumors 6502

Of course they fixed the issue, they just made up a much more elegant way of saying it, without acknowledging the fact that they’ve had some issues in the past. I think ”third generation keyboard” is Apple language for ”we’ve fixed our broken keyboard”.

22. Siannath macrumors member

Siannath

I'm sick of Apple apologists. An Apple computer should not have any keyboard issues. You didn't hear people hating the keyboards years ago because the pre-butterfly keyboards were good, they did not fail. The new keyboards fail, and this is the reason why people are concerned. This is a legitimate issue that costs money and time to Apple clients.

Being this a legitimate issue is concerning that Apple does not settle the matter. They expect you to buy a several thousand Macbook Pro without having the certain that the new keyboard will not fail. This is a joke. They do not recognize the issue, so, how you can expect that the issue is solved?

Also, they are hella expensive. Today using macOS is really a very expensive thing.

23. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

FYI: all of the complaints about the keyboard online and in the lawsuits are anecdotal. Nobody has provided actual numbers that would prove that there's some sort of widespread mechanical problem. Apple's own repair program is completely generic and applies to pretty much any type of keyboard problem, minor or major. I think the tech media needs to drop the huffing/puffing about this issue for the time being and wait for some actual numbers. No doubt Apple could provide them for the discovery portion of a lawsuit.

24. haydn! macrumors 6502a

The extended warranty for faulty keyboards applies to 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros only (and other gen MacBook models).

Or have Apple extended the programme to include 2018 models? If so, at launch, that is an indication nothing has really changed with this keyboard.