Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Ridiculous to think the issues only happen due to being slobs. If that was the case, we wouldn’t have had a repair programme...

I had 4 defects right out of the box. I don’t eat around my expensive MacBook Pro.

My first one would double hit “H” or not register it at all right out of the box. I was wondering why my password wasnt matching up until I typed on forums.

The rest had issues when heated up (such as gaming) would result in keys not working or getting stuck.

This was from 2016 MacBook Pro to 2017. I returned my 4th and waited out till now and will see if they fixed it now (which I would assume they did since they made aware of the issue).

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
FYI: all of the complaints about the keyboard online and in the lawsuits are anecdotal. Nobody has provided actual numbers that would prove that there's some sort of widespread mechanical problem. Apple's own repair program is completely generic and applies to pretty much any type of keyboard problem, minor or major. I think the tech media needs to drop the huffing/puffing about this issue for the time being and wait for some actual numbers. No doubt Apple could provide them for the discovery portion of a lawsuit.

You realize Apple is the only one with the numbers right, and isn’t just going to give them out? The fact that they launched a repair program specifically for these butterfly keyboards says plenty, but you choose to ignore that fact. Apple does that when they have faulty components in their computers. See the 2007 and 2011 MBP GPU programs for further evidence.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If they really did not focus on making the keyboard more reliable and immune to keys sticking or not registering, then they completely missed the elephant in the room.

While reducing noise is good, having a keyboard that does not require sending the unit in for 1-2 week repair is key (pub intended;)).
But this is assuming the butterfly design in and of itself is the problem. A lot of people are assuming that but no one has proven it. And why would anyone think it’s in Apple’s interest to sell computers with faulty keyboards? All it does is make more work for Apple in having to do repairs/replacements and make it more likely for someone to not upgrade or worse switch to Windows. None of that is good for Apple in the long run.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

decsramble

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
Canada
A quieter keyboard......? Seriously? Of all the things Apple could have fixed? This sounds more like a script for a season 6 episode of Silicon Valley where Gavin Belson decides the best way to fix his Signature Box III is by upgrading it's keyboard.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"This new third-generation keyboard wasn’t designed to solve those issues, Apple says. In fact, company representatives strenuously insisted that the keyboard issues have only affected a tiny, tiny fraction of its user base."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/...-touchbar-2018-intel-processor-siri-true-tone

Not sure what other proof people want. If you wanted a fixed keyboard, this isn't it.
What proof do you have that the butterfly design is the problem?
[doublepost=1531418501][/doublepost]
You realize Apple is the only one with the numbers right, and isn’t just going to give them out? The fact that they launched a repair program specifically for these butterfly keyboards says plenty, but you choose to ignore that fact. Apple does that when they have faulty components in their computers. See the 2007 and 2011 MBP GPU programs for further evidence.
You mentioned faulty component. iF it was a faulty component wouldn’t Apple just replace it within their supply chain? That’s not something they usually tell the world about.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Don't be a slob around your $2000 device and it shouldn't be an issue.

It's absolutely gross how people treat their digital devices. "I'm gonna take this phone in the bathroom, touch it after touching the toilet seat or lid which gets toilet water splashed on it every time it's flushed then sits in a humid environment where germs multiply, play on this phone then put it in my pocket when I'm done, where it's also warm and the germs multiply further, then stick that phone against my face and mouth when it rings."

You must be uninformed about the keyboard problem. As someone else correctly pointed out, Apple didn't initiate a repair program for the MacBook Pro keyboards because people who are "slobs" abused their computers. If that was the main reason for the keyboard problems people have experienced, Apple would've continued to tell people that they need to have AppleCare+ in order to have coverage for user-caused accidents. Instead, Apple launched a repair program for the keyboards. Apple doesn't launch a repair program unless they've looked at the data and concluded that there is a flaw they need to address.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It has nothing to do with being a slob (but even if it was, the previous keyboard had no such issue, and people have not all of a sudden gotten messier). I had a MBP key broken out of the box. I was planning to return it but it decided to fix itself, and everything has been fine since. I know it's a ticking time bomb, though.

MacRumors reached out to Apple for clarification, but we did not immediately receive a response.

Lol. Good luck with that, MacRumors.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
FYI: all of the complaints about the keyboard online and in the lawsuits are anecdotal. Nobody has provided actual numbers that would prove that there's some sort of widespread mechanical problem. Apple's own repair program is completely generic and applies to pretty much any type of keyboard problem, minor or major. I think the tech media needs to drop the huffing/puffing about this issue for the time being and wait for some actual numbers. No doubt Apple could provide them for the discovery portion of a lawsuit.

While I don't like anecdotal evidence, there is MUCH more than that here. Apple's own extended warranty on these says plenty about it. These are not cheap recalls. Additionally, self-proclaimed apple geniuses (not verified though), have claimed they are seeing more failed keyboards in a month than they have in entire years previously. Additionally, top tech reporters have called out this issue. Those that have had repairs also are going in for 3rd or 4th keyboards.

That's enough anecdotal evidence for me. I don't need exact numbers. Sometimes you have to go with your hunch/hypothesis based on what information is known.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
How is it in Apple’s interests to sell keyboards that will fail? One we don’t know the cause of the failure or how widespread it is. Two, Apple admitting a failure just opens them up to more lawsuits or possible complete recall. Assuming the failure rate is low (which is what Apple claims) they’ll fix the issue and not say anything about it.

It’s not in Apple’s interest to sell keyboards that fail. Clearly it’s something that got by QC during development. But you know what else isn’t in their interest? Telling everyone that there is a design flaw in their keyboards. What is in Apple’s interest though is internally acknowledging that there’s an issue and creating a repair program for those affected. Then they avoid a lawsuit, but also aren’t launching a full-blown and incredibly expensive recall for every 2016 and 2017 MBP out there. It really doesn’t matter whether the flaw is in the butterfly design or something else, the fact remains that a larger than normal number of customers are having issues with these keyboards. Otherwise Apple would have never launched a keyboard program that they never launched before. They did have programs for faulty GPU’s though.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I wonder if Apple will replace a faulty keyboard with the newer 3rd gen? I’ve had mine replaced once due to unresponsive keys, and it has been working fine, but just the other day I noticed the “h” key was starting to act up.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013

It's absolutely gross how people treat their digital devices. "I'm gonna take this phone in the bathroom, touch it after touching the toilet seat or lid which gets toilet water splashed on it every time it's flushed then sits in a humid environment where germs multiply, play on this phone then put it in my pocket when I'm done, where it's also warm and the germs multiply further, then stick that phone against my face and mouth when it rings."

I encountered the sticky-keys issue (space bar and arrow keys, mostly). My laptop lived its entire life on a desk at work. It first happened a few weeks after purchase, but I didn't consider it a issue until it kept happening.

I've had other laptops, including other MBPs, and treated them basically the same as the new one. Their keyboards never exhibited the issue.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No doubt Apple could provide them for the discovery portion of a lawsuit.
Once those lawsuits get to that point in the its lifecycle, yes we'll find out. Those lawsuits are going to take years to make its way through the process, so unless apple publishes the numbers voluntarily, we'll not know until then

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I mean, it's clearly redesigned. You don't reduce noise by not changing a thing about the keyboard. What's possible is that they added rubber into the mechanism to reduce noise and possibly also make it less prone to being affected by a grain of sand being stuck.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
You realize Apple is the only one with the numbers right, and isn’t just going to give them out? The fact that they launched a repair program specifically for these butterfly keyboards says plenty, but you choose to ignore that fact.

I'm not ignoring anything. The repair program was for users experiencing any type of issue with their keyboard. It could be as minor as a sticky key that's fixed with compressed air or as major as the entire keyboard needing replacement. IMO, that seems more like a corporate goodwill gesture than a recall for a specific defect. At any rate, odds are that Apple will provide the actual numbers per the lawsuits and it will become public at some point. Does it really seem likely that Apple would publicly say multiple times that the number of people experiencing problems was "small", then have it turn out in court that's it's the opposite? Apple doesn't usually bluff about those things.

corebeliefs

Suspended
Dec 28, 2016

What do germs have to do with a stuck keyboard.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I wonder how many people would ACTUALLY be buying this computer if there wasn’t a keyboard issue.

People are using the keyboard excuse issue not to buy it... i’m sure a lot of them had no real intention of buying one in the first place.

Not true in every case though, I had brought one to replace an older MacBook Pro.

But as outlined here these new models are not included in the service programme and there is no guarantee the issue has been addressed so therefore cannot purchase with any confidence.

cancelled.png

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
What do germs have to do with a stuck keyboard.
The post was about being a slob. He has a point. Start treating your devices with care and not like a $30 Xbox controller.
[doublepost=1531419995][/doublepost]
Not true in every case though, I had brought one to replace an older MacBook Pro.

But as outlined here these new models are not included in the service programme and there is no guarantee the issue has been addressed so therefore cannot purchase with any confidence.

View attachment 770326
actually that gives me more confidence that they fixed the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.