Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Please type this command in the command prompt:
ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r

If you see LP, then you got LG panel. If you do not see LP, then you got Samsung.

My 2017 macbook pro is Samsung Panel and it is WAY BETTER than my 2018 LG panel in terms of brightness and color. I was wondering how to get the Samsung panel. I have already returned 4 macbook pros but all of them are LG panels.

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Are you able to measure or quantify the difference between the two?

The difference is obvious. I am not able to quantify. But generally the samsung screen is brighter and the lg screen has serious yellow hint when i compare side by side in the same settings and environemnt.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
The difference is obvious. I am not able to quantify. But generally the samsung screen is brighter and the lg screen has serious yellow hint when i compare side by side in the same settings and environemnt.

If you have compared them side by side in the same environment, why didn't you keep the Samsung one?

Reactions: mikethebigo

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have the LG screen on my 2018 15" base model and it is the best screen I have had on any computer to date. It is bright, white with no yellow, pink or blue and no unevenness. I am one of those who sees the screen imperfections and I can't tell you how happy I am with this screen. Even with True Tone on it doesn't look yellow - just a warmer white.

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
If you have compared them side by side in the same environment, why didn't you keep the Samsung one?

My samsung version is the 2017 macbook pro and I have used for one year.
[doublepost=1532209541][/doublepost]
I have the LG screen on my 2018 15" base model and it is the best screen I have had on any computer to date. It is bright, white with no yellow, pink or blue and no unevenness. I am one of those who sees the screen imperfections and I can't tell you how happy I am with this screen. Even with True Tone on it doesn't look yellow - just a warmer white.

Thats what I thought in the first place. But when compared to samsung panel side by side, it is not good.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Please type this command in the command prompt:
ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r

If you see LP, then you got LG panel. If you do not see LP, then you got Samsung.

My 2017 macbook pro is Samsung Panel and it is WAY BETTER than my 2018 LG panel in terms of brightness and color. I was wondering how to get the Samsung panel. I have already returned 4 macbook pros but all of them are LG panels.

I have a late 2016 MBP with a Samsung panel and my new 2018 MBP (maxed out) has the LG panel. The two screens do look different, but they are both good. The Samsung has a more blueish (cooler) temperature and does get brighter. The LG is warmer and a little less bright. However, I don't crank the brightness on the screen, so that's not an issue for me.

Are we sure that Apple is using two manufacturers for these True Tone displays? If you exchanged four of them and they were all LG, then maybe there aren't any Samsung panels?

tianhuailiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
I have a late 2016 MBP with a Samsung panel and my new 2018 MBP (maxed out) has the LG panel. The two screens do look different, but they are both good. The Samsung has a more blueish (cooler) temperature and does get brighter. The LG is warmer and a little less bright. However, I don't crank the brightness on the screen, so that's not an issue for me.

Are we sure that Apple is using two manufacturers for these True Tone displays? If you exchanged four of them and they were all LG, then maybe there aren't any Samsung panels?

It is a big difference to me. I think Apple switch to LG and Toshiba for SSD for more profit in the same price.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I have an LG in my 2018 13", and compared to the Samsung on my 2016, it is indeed a little duller and flatter, and much less bright. Ah well…

No way I'm getting into the exchange game for it, that's for sure.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
There's no way I'm checking this.

When I bought my LG OLED TV I stupidly went on AV Forums for advice on setting it up, and ended up with grey pattern charts on my screen looking for all the blemishes and went through a few returns, because something I hadn't noticed before was now there, because I went looking for it.

I'd advise anyone against going down this path...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
did this on my 2016 nTB for fun:

got this

???????4?%?x??RC?&PT?eP?@?|?@P4

What does that mean? On 10.12.6 lol

I love my display and aint swapping anything, but would be curious if its LG or Samsung just for fun

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.