2019 13” MBP 1.4ghz quad-core benchmarks?

pshady

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
I’ve been searching but unable to find benchmarks on the new entry-level 13” MBP. Trying to decide if it’s good enough for me or whether I need to step up to the 2.4ghz 13” MBP.

roflc0pter

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
Shipments are expected to arrive tomorrow for early buyers and possibly some stores. Check back tomorrow night

Reactions: pshady

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
Mine comes tomorrow. I'm not a big benchmark person but I will be able to tell if it's snappy and responsive compared to my 2018 Air and my 2015 15" MBP. I'll post a quick thumbs up or thumbs down when I get it. Best I can do.

collin_

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know why it sometimes takes weeks or months for new Apple devices to appear on geekbench? The 2018 iPad Pros took months. The 2019 MacBook Pros were just added a week or two ago. Do a certain amount of people need to benchmark it before geekbench comes up with an average and adds it to the official list?

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
Based on CNET initial results new Pro with 1.4GHz cpu looks quite promising. They listed multicore results for it and it is much faster than Pro 2017 base model. I'm looking forward to see how it does in single core tests and how long it can actually run multicore at the initial result speed. They mentioned CPU model is i5-8257.

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Makes my decision of 2.4/512/16gb for USD 2,341 (not in the US) vs 1.4/512/16bg for USD 2,041 and interesting one to make.

I don't need the extra ports. Any thoughts?

Upgrading from late 2013 13" 2.4/256/16gb

Jeo_cz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2018
Makes my decision of 2.4/512/16gb for USD 2,341 (not in the US) vs 1.4/512/16bg for USD 2,041 and interesting one to make.

I don't need the extra ports. Any thoughts?

Upgrading from late 2013 13" 2.4/256/16gb
Definitely the cheaper one! But wait for more benchmarks. Beside the cheaper price you will probably get cooler processor with a slighty better battery life. Moreover, this model could still have replaceable ssd (as 2017 model without touchbar had).

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
Single: 4,775, Multi: 17,086. Almost like his 2.4 GHz sibling (Single: 4,993, Multi: 18,283)

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13846491
That was a nice find. Seems that the CPU would be good step up from Air 2018, even single core results are not earth shattering.

Considering all things you get with Pro vs Air (especially P3 screen), I could not resist and I placed an order for a new Pro base model. I hope they did not cheap out with components in base Pro model vs current Pro model, so I hope the screen would be exactly the same as before (it would be interesting to hear from those how get their units before me if the screen is the same as before).

Also I'm little puzzled about battery they list 58.2W for base model Pro but 58W for better models. Why use two different battery models in these models as capacity difference so small. I hope that does not mean what I fear the most that cheaper one has higher battery nominal capacity battery (in paper) but it is subpar quality compared to 58W used in "better" model (I hope I'm wrong even thinking this possibility).

Jeo_cz

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2018
That was a nice find. Seems that the CPU would be good step up from Air 2018, even single core results are not earth shattering.

Considering all things you get with Pro vs Air (especially P3 screen), I could not resist and I placed an order for a new Pro base model. I hope they did not cheap out with components in base Pro model vs current Pro model, so I hope the screen would be exactly the same as before (it would be interesting to hear from those how get their units before me if the screen is the same as before).

Also I'm little puzzled about battery they list 58.2W for base model Pro but 58W for better models. Why use two different battery models in these models as capacity difference so small. I hope that does not mean what I fear the most that cheaper one has higher battery nominal capacity battery (in paper) but it is subpar quality compared to 58W used in "better" model (I hope I'm wrong even thinking this possibility).
I've got Macbook Pro 2016 (without TB) and can't say it has cheaper components than his touchbar sibling. Quite opposite. It had a better battery life (lower proc's TDP and bigger battery) and a replaceable ssd.

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
I've got Macbook Pro 2016 (without TB) and can't say it has cheaper components than his touchbar sibling. Quite opposite. It had a better battery life (lower proc's TDP and bigger battery) and a replaceable ssd.
Yes, but you must consider that MacBook model you mention what kind of a flagship machine at the time but now both models (slower vs faster) CPU models are released at the same time. I hope I'm wrong but that 58.2W vs 58W in a kind of a warning sign to me, logically it would make sense to use the same battery on both models.
[doublepost=1562852710][/doublepost]
The entry level MBP will be a cracking machine I bet, I just can't stand the touchbar so I'm happy with my 2018 air.
I was also hesitating a lot about TB but I'll see how it works for me when I get mine. I could definitely live without it but all in all new Pro was just too temptating considering the fact that I was still thinking whether I should have get P3 display and sure better keyboard in the new model is a nice plus, and faster charger. Also receiving my Air with empty battery and the fact that its capacity is dropping all the time I really don't thing it is wise thing to keep it. WellI'm still keeping my Air until I receive Pro and see it is a good one, and then either return Air or Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: torana355

Herrpod

macrumors regular
May 29, 2019
Just a reminder, the MBP without Touch Bar was:
Single Core: 4220
Multi Core: 8833

Quite the jump

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
Those benchmarks are great.
It'll be great to see some specifics on the wifi when someone can get their hands on one.

nobackup

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
The base only has 2 thunderbolt/usb c. So the different PCB’s will take up more space

Jonny said at the original launch that they used all available space inside for the “custom” fit battery. So I guess .2 was lost to Gain 2 more ports

No such thing as a free lunch I’m afraid.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
These benchmarks are great for the 1.4, but me in a quandary. I want a 16GB/512GB spec, and have quite a few external SSDs and external HDD to plugin. Should I spend the extra 270 GBP to get the 2.4 model? Are the extra CPU/GPU power, but more importantly the two TB ports worth it?

nobackup

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
These benchmarks are great for the 1.4, but me in a quandary. I want a 16GB/512GB spec, and have quite a few external SSDs and external HDD to plugin. Should I spend the extra 270 GBP to get the 2.4 model? Are the extra CPU/GPU power, but more importantly the two TB ports worth it?
Think it depends on your usage. For office and general the 1.4 will probably have longer battery. As only 15w peak. If you do heavy lifting „like a pro“ then the 2.4. ( with resulting lower battery time ). YMMV

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Amazing numbers. Looking forward to the higher end 13" getting a redesign with icelake processors next year, although I think gains will be made more on the GPU front rather than the CPU front

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
Sat next to each other, both 2018 and 2019 get 250+ Mbps download on my 300/30 connection.

Thanks. If you option click the wifi on each, what connection speed do they have to your router? And which router do you have?