Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
Out for delivery!

Edit: With all of these old 'build dates' it's no wonder the supply chain was so short of the Aipods (gen 1) during Q3 and Q4 last year.

Reactions: briankeith513

RobertNYC

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
NYC
I ordered mine at 8:15a EST on March 21st with a ship date of April 11th - 18th. Order is still processed. Anyone else in this window seeing any movement. I was hoping they would come super early, but the website is saying:

This item will take longer than usual to ship. As soon as it’s ready, we’ll send you an update and prepare the shipment.

Just curious what others are seeing.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Preordered from Best Buy.com yesterday with estimated ship date 04/03. I just received an email from Best Buy that they actually shipped today early! Between this and my new mini getting shipped two weeks early from Verizon I am pretty excited! Try ordering from Best Buy.com!

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
mine didnt populate the name but it was March of 2019. Airpods without the wireless charging case

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Mines currently is being held at the UPS Store Access Point ready for me to pick up mine. I would have chosen the UPS CC over the UPS Store, but since I get off work at 6 pm and the UPS CC closes at 6 pm, I opted for the UPS Store, which closes at 7. Can't wait to try them out.

Matthewzilla

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2015
Texas
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but has anybody ordered just the wireless charging case itself and received it faster than their estimated delivery window?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Four pairs of the new AirPods with wireless case here (for me and the family!), and they were made in August, October, October, and November.

As I've posted previously in an AirPower thread, I think these have been piling up in warehouses waiting for AirPower to be ready before they shipped, but they got fed up of waiting so went ahead and released them.

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
As I've posted previously in an AirPower thread, I think these have been piling up in warehouses waiting for AirPower to be ready before they shipped, but they got fed up of waiting so went ahead and released them.

Exactly.

I have a hunch that these were ready in "Late 2018" when Apple expected to release Airpower. Had to be a tough call, hold off on the Airpods Gen2 until Airpower so people dont buy aftermarket charging mats or release them without. This makes sense on why Gen 1's were so hard to find at the end of last year - they were producing Gen 2.

Unfortunately for Apple, it seems they didn't get Airpower working for this launch either but they had to release these Airpods (gen 2) because of the amount of stock and it's getting too close to Airpods 2 (gen 1) release at the end of this year. If Airpower was to come any time soon we should have seen an announcement yesterday. People are going to look at closer at wireless charging now that they have two or three devices (iPhone and Airpods and Watch) that can benefit from it.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Exactly.

I have a hunch that these were ready in "Late 2018" when Apple expected to release Airpower. Had to be a tough call, hold off on the Airpods Gen2 until Airpower so people dont buy aftermarket charging mats or release them without. This makes sense on why Gen 1's were so hard to find at the end of last year - they were producing Gen 2.

Unfortunately for Apple, it seems they didn't get Airpower working for this launch either but they had to release these Airpods (gen 2) because of the amount of stock and it's getting too close to Airpods 2 (gen 1) release at the end of this year. If Airpower was to come any time soon we should have seen an announcement yesterday. People are going to look at closer at wireless charging now that they have two or three devices (iPhone and Airpods and Watch) that can benefit from it.
Agree 100%.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Mine were scheduled to arrive today via UPS and I was glad it wasn’t Fedex as they will never leave the package. Ups always does. That is till today. I am pissed. reattempt tomorrow, I won’t be home then again, my delivery email said no signature required. So I had to go and request it gets dropped for pickup at the nearest access point location. Whacking me $6 bucks for that. I’m disabled so no I have to go pick it up. Thanks ups

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Exactly.

There will not be any AirPods 2 (gen 1) later this year. No way they release two revisions to AirPods in one year. I think the rumors of additional features and black color were mistakenly attributed to AirPods when they were actually leaks of the new wireless PowerBeats features.

Reactions: eagleglen

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
is it wrong to be watching the "follow my delivery" on UPS.... screaming at the map to get closer to your house lol :)
This is the first time I’ve seen this feature from UPS. Amazon does something similar. Hopefully FedEx will too soon. But yeah, I’m keeping a close eye on it too right now. My delivery window is still two hours away tho.

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
There will not be any AirPods 2 (gen 1) later this year. No way they release two revisions to AirPods in one year. I think the rumors of additional features and black color were mistakenly attributed to AirPods when they were actually leaks of the new wireless PowerBeats features.

At this point I agree that Airpods 2 probably wont happen this year - or even be announced (because of what happened with the airpower announcement). Apple also might time airpods releases with battery degradation and wait two years. However, new colors could be released along with new phones in September or alongside an over the ear headphone.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Finally got them! I've been tracking this delivery all day and in the 2 seconds I went to the bathroom the guy shows up. Thankfully my front door camera sent me an alert and I caught my UPS guy walking away from my house after leaving a note. So be aware although it says no signature required my UPS guy required a signature.

YOTR

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
So annoyed. I got an alert that someone rang my doorbell only to see the UPS guy standing there. I spoke to him via the speaker on my doorbell and he stated he needed a signature. So I called Apple and sure enough they stated they forgot to inform me it needed a signature (nor does it show needing one on the tracking page). I have ordered numerous things from apple so I am used to seeing the signature option. I even called when it shipped since I didn't see it in the tracking but they stated it didn't need a signature. Not a huge deal but definitely frustrated. I guess the UPS guy being rude didn't help either though.

varun14

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
So annoyed. I got an alert that someone rang my doorbell only to see the UPS guy standing there. I spoke to him via the speaker on my doorbell and he stated he needed a signature. So I called Apple and sure enough they stated they forgot to inform me it needed a signature (nor does it show needing one on the tracking page). I have ordered numerous things from apple so I am used to seeing the signature option. I even called when it shipped since I didn't see it in the tracking but they stated it didn't need a signature. Not a huge deal but definitely frustrated. I guess the UPS guy being rude didn't help either though.

I had the same issue, luckily I was upstairs but the UPS guy refused to leave it there without a signature.

Zaned303

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Centennial CO
Mine both arrived around 12pm today worked out nicely. The case seems smaller to me then my first generation. Also the UPS site said no signature required however I had to sign for them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.