2019 Emoji Candidates Include Flamingo, White Heart, Diving Mask, Axe, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of the impending arrival of Unicode 11 on June 5, Emojipedia today published an article about all of the emoji characters that will be launching on Apple devices later this year. While these characters were known, the site also looked forward a bit and briefly detailed what users can expect from Unicode 12 coming in March 2019.

On the short list for impending release in 2019 are the Flamingo and White Heart, which are the two "most requested" emojis by Emojipedia readers this year. Otherwise, the following emoji candidates have been drafted for potential launch next year: Diving Mask, Axe, Waffle, Diya Lamp, and Hindu Temple. All of these candidates have also received mockups, seen below, except Waffle.

[​IMG]
    2019 Emoji concepts via Emojipedia

At this time, these emojis are still only candidates for inclusion in Unicode 12, "and no decisions have been made about the final emoji list for 2019." Emojipedia has been expanding the Unicode 12 candidates list over the past few weeks, now including characters like Yawning Face, Ballet Shoes, Sloth, Butter, Stethoscope, Ringed Planet, and more.

For Unicode 11 in 2018, users can expect social media companies to adopt the new emojis sometime over the summer, while Apple and other smartphone makers will likely add all of the new characters into OS updates in the fall. As a reminder, some of the new emojis include Parrot, Llama, Lobster, Softball, Kangaroo, Partying Face, and more. Check out a glimpse below:

[​IMG]
    Emojis coming in 2018

If going by traditional releases, Apple should add in these new characters to iOS, macOS, and watchOS devices around September 2018. The company might also provide further details about the incoming 2018 emojis in a press release later this summer, as it did on World Emoji Day last year, in addition to giving the iTunes Movies store an emoji-themed makeover.

Article Link: 2019 Emoji Candidates Include Flamingo, White Heart, Diving Mask, Axe, and More

2. JetLaw macrumors regular

JetLaw

Ugh. Either Apple has truly mastered rumor control or this is going to be a very disappointing WWDC For me.

3. mrbobdobolina macrumors member

mrbobdobolina

[partyface][toiletpaper][receipt]!

4. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

But where are the Macs? Fire Tim Cook! So glad this is what Apple has been spending their resources on. How about fixing the bugs first? Apple has lost its way. Only morons use emojis. Watch bands!

That should cover all the bases.

6. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I can see the white heart emoji being popular with a certain crowd.... o_O

7. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

But why haven’t they fixed everything else first!!!!!!

8. jimothyGator macrumors 6502

jimothyGator

Oops, better nerf that axe before somebody (or their feelings) gets hurt!

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I can't ever find the emojis that I want to already. We need a vastly better UI for finding them - having a single keyboard with 600 characters scrolling by is completely insane.

I suppose there's probably a third party keyboard that makes this a lot easier, isn't there? If not, maybe I should just program one...

10. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Gboard has a Search Emoji function.

13. headlessmike macrumors newbie

headlessmike

This has nothing to do with Apple, it's Unicode that have proposed new emoji!

14. trusso macrumors 6502

Funny how we've gone from this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

And now back to this:
    [​IMG]

15. jeff275 macrumors newbie

16. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Will facebook messenger support the new emojis?

Question: If i have iOS 11 and send a new emoji through fb messenger to someone with iOS 10, will the emoji appear?

17. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

They need to spend some of their time to come up with categories that actually make sense and better sorting. I cannot find crap as of right now and always go back to the same facepalm monkey emoji

18. PickUrPoison, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

PickUrPoison macrumors 601

That’s sarcasm, right?

Your site did have a great article on the intern who was responsible for so many of the early emoji, and the one (1) Apple employee—a graphic designer, of course—who were responsible for the emoji used daily by more than half a billion iOS users.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/11/2008-emoji-design-retrospective/

Too bad Jobs isn’t around to review them anymore.

19. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

I think, although I don’t know for certain, that emojis are controlled by a 3rd party that tries to coordinate releases so they are available across phone brands. So an Apple user can send an Android user a text containing an emoji and it is roughly the same on both phones.

Animoji’s I think are currently Apple only.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

2018-06-01_10-01-05.png

Not my site, I'm just a member who helps out, i.e., not employed by MacRumors

21. PickUrPoison, Jun 1, 2018

Oh ok, you have a badge that says staff member. I thought you were an employee. I thought I’ve seen others have a moderator badge, maybe I’m thinking of another site.

In any case, it’s amazing that the work of one graphics design employee and one intern were responsible for so many of the now-iconic (pun intended) versions of the emoji used by billions of cellphone users.

Isn’t it?

PS For those who don’t know, graphics designers don’t code, they don’t fix bugs or deliver new, desperately desired features like AirPlay 2 and messages in iCloud, and they don’t design hardware like Mac Pro or AirPower.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

lol, I didn't even notice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I should ask where's my paycheck :D

23. PickUrPoison, Jun 1, 2018

ikr? Even the emoji intern got paid :)

It’s cool that you’re willing to volunteer though, I’m sure it’s a thankless task for the most part.

24. Steve_SD macrumors newbie

Steve_SD