2019 Formula 1 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MOFS, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Alonso car sure pick them!
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2019 ---
    I’d say if they get a 1-2 on Saturday there is a very good chance that will continue at Monaco.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'd say that wasn't a bad bet.

An interesting, and not widely discussed, element of F1 is the rate at which teams are using their allotments of power unit components. Mercedes is still on their original ICE, TC, MGU-H, MGU-K, ES, and CE units. Looking further down the field, it also seems that Mercedes customer teams, (Racing Point and Williams) also seem to be largely using the same power units, while most other teams have had to replace (at least) one or more elements. Both Ferrari drivers are on their second ICE (internal combustion engine) part of the P/U.

Mercedes hasn't had to swap an engine, battery, etc. Is this is sign that they've been careful not to stress the power units during races and practices (ie. no "party mode" runs)? If so, it could be that Mercedes will go into the later stages of the season with a significant advantage, being much less likely to give up grid penalties? And, apart from tires, Mercedes doesn't seem to have endured too many mechanical or technical problems during races.

Yeah: Mercedes have a very good shot at dominating the season. But I'm still going to watch each race. Because all sorts of things can (and will) still happen.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I’ll watch to because I’m a diehard fan.
    But I’m only on highlights this year. :(

4. jdechko macrumors 601

https://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/mclaren-s-failed-indy-500-effort-was-a-comedy-of-errors-052019

Holy ****. It wasn't a comedy of errors; it seemed like a complete cluster****.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

RIP Niki

He had a good innings considering what he went through! Hopefully racing James somewhere in a world I don’t believe in lol. A sad loss to the sport.

6. Zenithal macrumors G3

Really odd that. I got an alert from the BBC World News app on my phone an hour or two ago but didn't notice it until 20 minutes ago. I was thinking about rewatching Rush this past weekend but decided to watch something else.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Sad. He was a legend. He’ll be missed.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

You could always count on him to say it how it is. A character that F1 could never force to be a PR robot despite many efforts. A hugely popular chap in the paddock and I would imagine there will be a special celebration for him in Monaco.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

When I was kid, first watching F1, Niki Lauda was the bad guy. Seemingly cold and aloof, he was always the one competing against my heroes Emerson Fittipaldi and James Hunt.

I remember well the horrifying crash at Nurburgring. I think most people expected him not to survive at all, and remember being amazed when he came back. Hunt's controversial victory in a rain-soaked Japanese GP to win the Championship that year always seemed a little tainted, in my view. It was easy for kid to say "Lauda chickened out" while Hunt the hero kept going.

Of course, with the benefit of hindsight, Lauda made the right call.

Along with Jackie Stewart, Lauda is the racing driver I most credit for changing the safety culture of F1. GP racing used to be, frankly, a bloodbath. And the changes brought about, in large part through the prestige of Niki Lauda - a man who literally had the scars to prove it - made a huge and fundamental improvement to driver and overall track safety.

Like many other people who survive horrific accidents, Lauda's life was tragically curtailed. The damage to his lungs apparently eventually required a lung-transplant last year. Despite that, Lauda found an "elder statesman" role for himself with Mercedes, and I think that team has benefitted greatly from his wisdom and experience. Not just on the technical side, but largely on its management of the highly skilled and stressed drivers.

RIP Niki Lauda. An improbable, but supremely brave, hero for the F1 ages.

10. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

God's Speed Niki. Hopefully there are no V-6's where you're going. I'll miss your focus on safety, as will F1. :apple:

11. MOFS, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019

MOFS thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

Never saw him drive live, but thoroughly enjoyed Niki and his soundbites on the grid recently. Sounds like he was a great driver.

EDIT: this is a nice tribute video from Autosport

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Wow... Vettel's only quick lap eliminates LeClerc from Q1! Charles starts 16th at his home race, he looks upset. Not sure if I'm surprised that Ferrari has made another strategic blunder before the race has even begun.

13. CWallace, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I'm not surprised - they've committed this exact same f-up far too many times before.

It's like watching Ferrari of the early 1990s when the Marx Brothers were on the pit wall and the Three Stooges were in the pit lane. Alain Prost must be laughing his ass off in the Renault garage. On the plus side, at least the current car handles better than the Ferrari 643 "truck" he had in 1991.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

How long before the Honda powered cars pass the Ferrari powered ones?

15. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

We arguably have that now on tracks where downforce is more important than top-end speed.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Ferrari got it wrong again! When will they learn?
    Feel sorry for LeClerk. Vettel looks like a man about to hang up hos driving gloves to me.
    Bottas looked much more comfortable than Lewis right up to the last lap.
    Even then his pole lap looked anything but smooth and clean.

I like the we miss you Nikki signs. A legend who has been part of F1 the whole time I’ve been watching.

17. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

I've purchased a time travel machine and gone 4 hours into the future:
    Hamilton wins, Bottas could have won but wasn't allowed.
    Ferrari proven inept again as VET throws away a podium to VER.
    LeClerc looks very fast until he clips another barrier.

[​IMG]

18. CWallace, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019

CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Well LeClerc did look fast and did indeed hit a barrier, but "only" lost a lap along with a fair bit of downforce due to a shredded tire.

EDIT - And now he's retired on Lap 20.

Verstappen is the one who likely threw away a podium due to an unsafe release during LeClerc's safety car, with Vettel moving up to 3rd.

19. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

So.. not the worst race but far from the most exciting. Can’t help but think how fantastic this race would be if the cars could follow each other and push hard for 78 laps. Might be one of the greatest spectacles!

20. CWallace, May 26, 2019

CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Yeah unless it starts to rain...

And VER was gifted that time penalty for his unsafe release. At worse he should finish fourth.

I think Mercedes has a solid chance of winning every race this year. I can't see Ferrari pressuring them, especially with their strategy mistakes and while VER has the speed and the talent, over a race distance I do not think he can hold them off.

21. apolloa macrumors G4

Well LeClerc and Red Bull should be banned for one or two races for the disgusting unsafe attitude they showed! I feel sorry for Max as he didn’t do anything, they go when their team tells them to.
    And if the first race after the summer break doesn’t change things and see if someone can challenge Mercedes I won’t bother watching the rest of the season, or next years. What’s the point?
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2019 ---
    Actually I think you’ll find Red Bull threw the podium away, NOT Max as he was innocent, they go when the team tells them to, that’s what the team is their for and it’s up to them to release the car safely, so don’t blame Max for that one.
    Oh and I should add, thanks to Sky I never saw the actual unsafe release as they didn’t bother to show it at all, just listened to the commentators shout about it..

22. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

Really enjoyed Monaco. Very good race.

Now have on Indy. Amazing opening laps. Some of the best Indy racing I've ever seen in the first 5 laps.

23. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Yes, it's not Max specifically who is at fault, but the FIA penalizes the driver (as well as the team).

I saw them replay it at least twice from the pit camera and also once from Vettel's nose camera, who was following behind.

24. apolloa, May 26, 2019

apolloa macrumors G4

I did eventually see the replay and it didn’t change my opinion, I posted my comments before Max for me was driver of the day and pushed Lewis the entire race almost! Even with a 5 second penalty in the back of his mind he still went in full arrack mode! This is what I want to see, the leader being pushed and pushed the entire race, not some pathetic walk over with a 20 second gap to the next car..
    So just watched it finish, even though it was due to Red Bulls pit crew stupidity, that race was by a country mile THE most exciting of ALL the year so far....
    I want Monaco to be the track they race on every race lol!
    Oh and as for Ferrari... where are they?

The reason Vettel got second was due the pit lane barging and they bought Botas back in, and then he had to sit a long way behind Max because the Ferrari kept on overheating! Meanwhile Max was almost pushing Lewis round the track..

Ferrari really have lost it this year, with car design it seems and strategy.

25. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

My stat of the day. Lewis is only 12 points behind Ferrari!

This was a great Monaco Grand Prix. Lots of action. Sometimes it can be a bit dull, but LeClerk going for it at the start, then Lewis holding off Max for all those laps.

A fitting tribute to Niki.