2019 iPhone Photography Award Winners Announced

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The winners of the 12th annual iPhone Photography Awards were unveiled today.

This year's recipients were selected from thousands of entries from over 140 countries around the world, including Australia, Bahrain, Belarus, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Peru, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, Taiwan, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

"Big Sister" shot on an iPhone X by Gabriella Cigliano of Italy

The grand prize winner is Gabriella Cigliano of Italy for her entry "Big Sister," shot on an iPhone X in Zanzibar, Africa:
Last year I spent a month in Wasa, Tanzania, teaching a class of young, curious and amazing guys. Before heading back to Italy we stopped in Zanzibar, where this photo was taken. I still wonder how could I capture that exact moment in all its beauty. I was just observing, a few meters from them, but they were probably more curious about me than I was about them, and that's probably why the girl was looking at me. We couldn't talk much, except for a few words in Swahili I had learned in the previous weeks, but those kids could definitely talk with their eyes. It was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in my life, and I'll keep it in my memories forever. The best part was showing them and their mums the photos, for some it was the first time they were seeing their faces, and their excitement was unexplainable, unfortunately my iPhone was in their hands and I couldn't capture that!
A few more winning photos:

"Sea Stripes" shot on an iPhone SE by Diogo Lage of Portugal

"Come Across" shot on an iPhone X by Peng Hao of China

Head over to the iPhone Photography Awards website for the full lists of winning photos and winning photographers.

Apple CEO Tim Cook congratulated last year's winners on Twitter.

Article Link: 2019 iPhone Photography Award Winners Announced

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
as a photographer my self them shots are really nothing special
The last Motiv is cool at least.
But the 1st price shot... no. The girl is not looking at the photographer as he or she is kneeing. And the girls eyes are not looking curiously but suspiciously at someone near the photographer. The whole story... yack.

Reactions: sydneysider88

iRutherford

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
The last Motiv is cool at least.
But the 1st price shot... no. The girl is not looking at the photographer as he or she is kneeing. And the girls eyes are not looking curiously but suspiciously at someone near the photographer. The whole story... yack.
I'm sure it won because it's diverse and cultural.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
For future reference: when dissing someone, you want to demonstrate your superior qualifications to make the assertions you do. Maybe you could demonstrate the awards that you have received, or the galleries where you have pictures on display, that would work!

Last edited by a moderator:

ahmadof

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
That's what makes art, art. It's subjective, but I really don't see how that first picture gets much better. Wonderful shot. More detail in the sand might have been a phone limitation or conscious choice, not sure, but it makes it better to be washed out to me.

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
Big Sister grand prize winner pretty much sums up the limitations of the iPhone X camera hardware: Blown out highlights & too dark shadows.
The subject is nice, but the actual photo gets an F for quality.

Anawrahta

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
Been an amateur photographer for over 20 years don't see what's so special about these photos....lol

I think Apple is letting their emotions decide what constitutes a good photo.
I think we can thank them for letting their emotions decide. Can't imagine what a selection of art would be if it was based on the objective variables of some algorithm.

sfobear

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2011
San Francisco, CA
For future reference: when dissing someone, you want to demonstrate your superior qualifications to make the assertions you do. Maybe you could demonstrate the awards that you have received, or the galleries where you have pictures on display, that would work!
The original poster was doing an odd mix of dissing someone else, but yet couldn't be bothered to make half an effort himself. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

ahmadof

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Big Sister grand prize winner pretty much sums up the limitations of the iPhone X camera hardware: Blown out highlights & too dark shadows.
The subject is nice, but the actual photo gets an F for quality.
Possible limitation vs how the photographer wanted it. To get a classically / technically good photo most seem to look for would require DSLR, lightbox, reflector, hair and makeup, timed for perfect sunlight / time of day. Here we get exposed (Pun in there) to a real couple of children on a beach in Zanzibar on the fly.... the camera you have with you.

mashdots

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2015
boston-ish
I've seen a lot of iPhone photography posts on this site and there's always the one or two photographers who rage because they don't consider iPhone photography to be any level of quality photography.

Yes, I get it - you had to take time to learn and invest in new equipment and skills. But why the hate for a devices that brings some of those skills a little more in reach?

The things you can do with your iPhone these days are crazy. And I love posts like this that show off what people have been able to capture with a phone you can put in your pocket.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I was contacted by Apple about this photo tagged #ShotOniPhone back in 2014 with an iPhone 5 in Barcelona. They asked for the original file to confirm that it was shot on iPhone and presumably to get the full resolution. I don't know if it was ever published but I assume they would have let me know.

IMG_6258.jpg