Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

2020 iMac Benchmarks Surface Online [Updated]

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Bit disappointed at the 3.8GHz 8-Core model I just ordered only getting just 1141/7006 - I get 1089/4373 on my current 2017 iMac.

The SSD speed will make up for it I guess compared to the 3TB fusion card (200MB peak read/write for large files....)

Look at it this way - you just got the equivalent to an 8-core iMac Pro for a lot less!

Screenshot (153).png

Now you can see why they dropped the 8-core iMac Pro

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I’ve come to terms with soldered SSDs. Thunderbolt 3 lets me use external SSDs that are just as fast as the internal drives anyway, and I don’t have to open up the machine to swap the drive. By the time the internal SSD breaks the machine will likely be long obsolete.

^This. It's easy to find a great TB3 external NVMe SSD in the size you need to supplement the internal drive. Plus, my file archive and Time Machine works just dandy on 7200RPM HDDs over USB 3 external hard drive docking stations.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
At this point, you should just save yourself some money, get a Mac Mini and a separate 4k/5k display if you so desire.

That's what I did. But the mini relies on integrated UHD 630 graphics, rather than having a discrete GPU. That's a deal-breaker (or deal-suppresser) for some.

Reactions: NMBob

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
That's what I did. But the mini relies on integrated UHD 630 graphics, rather than having a discrete GPU. That's a deal-breaker (or deal-suppresser) for some.

Aye. Some are ok with that in the Mac Mini.

I wouldn't be.

The good news. Any Mac Mini with an AS in it won't have that dilemma.

Great gpu performance will come to all AS Macs.

And even looking at the iphone and ipads...gpu performance has not been a weak spot.

Azrael.

uller6

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Look at it this way - you just got the equivalent to an 8-core iMac Pro for a lot less!

View attachment 941303

Now you can see why they dropped the 8-core iMac Pro
I wonder how loud these new iMacs are though? My base iMac Pro is dead silent, even when running pegged at 100% for hours on end in my 90 degree office.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I wonder how loud these new iMacs are though? My base iMac Pro is dead silent, even when running pegged at 100% for hours on end in my 90 degree office.

It will be quiet, even it it means they throttle it when it hits ~100ºC as they do in my Mini.

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
So back in the days, I bought a 1TB Samsung SSD for $350 CAD or so. Did the job myself and it still holds very well today.

What would be the solutions today? At what cost?

I just did this on my iMac 5K a couple months ago. It came with a Fusion Drive and the SSD part was wearing out quite badly. Turns out the Fusion logic really hammers a small SSD. Anyway, I pulled it open and put in a 2TB SSD and now everything is great.

The solution for a machine with a soldered SSD that failed would be 1) replace the computer entirely or 2) get a fast Thunderbolt SSD and run the system off that.

Reactions: RichardGroves

alfonsog

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
Computers are one of the only things I'd probably purchase Apple Care on going forward because some of the repair costs are really ridiculous and you can continue the Apple Care payments month to month for up to 5 years.

At least if I smash my iPhone I can get a refurb for like 40% of the cost. I don't think that's the case for a mac.

But you can't do that on Macs its just a 3 year one and done AppleCare for computers, and there's not a monthly payment unless you finance it on Apple Card.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

It still has double-faced tape to affix the screen. I've seen two Apple-certified techs break screens when removing them. It's an absurd design and no amount of Ive-speak will justify that decision.

Reactions: AlumaMac

Namara

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon
Computers are one of the only things I'd probably purchase Apple Care on going forward because some of the repair costs are really ridiculous and you can continue the Apple Care payments month to month for up to 5 years.
Could you provide an Apple source for an Applecare+ renewal for Macs? I reviewed both the Applecare+ description for Macs and the Terms and Conditions and neither document mentions the renewals are available for Macs.

Last edited:

SidricTheViking

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
Seems like a drag that SSDs are soldered despite some folks claiming there are upsides.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed previously, but will these 27” iMacs run Mojave if a person wipes pre-installed Catalina?
As far as I understand you can’t downgrade from the original installed version of macOS. So, if it shipped with macOS Catalina, you can’t downgrade.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Soldered SSD? Nice time bomb

Why do you think so, it's MLC so 99.9999% will never run into lifetime wites problem.
Also, backup...BACKUP.

As far as I understand you can’t downgrade from the original installed version of macOS. So, if it shipped with macOS Catalina, you can’t downgrade.

That's what Apple says, might still be possible with some "hacking".

At this point just be glad Apple hasnt welded the electric cord to their devices...

It wouldn't be the first time...Cinema Display rings a bell...
If you are a government-type bunch how do you remove the drives and destroy them at end of life? We have to do that (at a college) with all 2.5/3" drives and we don't even have any secret stuff.

Lots of memory chips on devices now that still can be read if they desolder them and adopt them to a new device.

Off topic, most people aren't aware that most (enterprise) printers have harddisks in them, you print, that goes onto the harddisk, could be there for years dependable on usage before it's overwritten.

Last edited:

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Oh, I agree 100% That is one of the best features of the iMac Pro that is undervalued - cooling which makes it run silent. I use mine and don't hear a peep from it.

I'm guessing that the new 10th-gen processors are better in the new iMac than the previous generation, but probably won't be as quiet as the iMac Pro because I don't think Apple changed the cooling system in it.

The more I think about it - I think we'll see a 24" iMac with Apple Silicon as the general-purpose iMac (replacing the 21" model and lower-end 27" configurations), but possibly a newer 32" iMac Pro with even faster Apple Silicon replacing both the higher-end 27" iMac and iMac Pro, simply because Apple will want to have a lot of power in a dead-quiet design.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Early birds got fooled this time ...

Soldered SSD? Nice time bomb

At this point just be glad Apple hasnt welded the electric cord to their devices...

Won't be surprised if they go back to the 2014/15 times for soldered RAM on the 21.5", eurgh.
Interesting that they have gone to soldered SSD - but not surprising considering the removal of a HDD option.

If you are a government-type bunch how do you remove the drives and destroy them at end of life? We have to do that (at a college) with all 2.5/3" drives and we don't even have any secret stuff.

Why soldered? That’s a major downgrade

SOLDERED! This isn't looking good for the RAM on the upcoming iMac design...

In summer 2018, my 3TB HD failed on my 4000 CAD iMac Late-2013. It wasn't covered by any recall.

So back in the days, I bought a 1TB Samsung SSD for $350 CAD or so. Did the job myself and it still holds very well today.

What would be the solutions today? At what cost?

The SSD contains all of your data, and in the event of a logic board failure, it is nice to be able to remove the SSD and recover data (if it wasn’t backed up) I actually like the idea of soldered ram on portables. When I worked as an ACMT at my high school, we spent a lot of time reseating ram modules in student’s MacBook and MacBook Pros since if they were dropped the wouldn’t boot if the ram was slightly loose.

But in a desktop machine, the ram shouldn’t be soldered and the SSD should be socketed on all machines imo. The T2 security excuse is moot since the Mac Pro uses a socketed SSD and a T2 chip.

I’m sure that with Apple moving to their own silicon, EVERYTHING will be soldered together unfortunately. I’m surprised it hasn’t increased their warranty repair costs. Rather than replacing a defective module and getting credit from the part vendor, they have to rework the pcb and replace defective components on the board, a more time consuming and costly process.

Soldered? Not buying...and this is getting old, Apple. Please give us products we can upgrade and fix on our own.

Asking to have the hard drive not soldered is not a crazy ask. Can you up with another reason other than Apple doesn’t want us replacing/upgrading the harddrive on our own?

Apple's endless march towards complete unrepairability is getting old. There's nothing preventing them from making these machines easier to repair except greed, and unfortunately, the rest of the industry seems to be catching on.

Soldered SSD huh. So they're not just reusing the logic board from the previous gen machine.

I wonder if they've repackaged the iMac Pro's major components...

Early birds got fooled this time ...

I’ve seen this design somewhere before...

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
There's nothing wrong with that -- I'm not surprised if there's false information. And I never complained about the soldered SSD either? Simply commenting on what was reported.

Does not matter either way if it is soldered or not if the iMac 2020 comes with T2.

Eagerly awaiting Ifixit's teardown to see what changes are inside - if much.

boss.king

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Okay, so an article was wrong? It's not like I made the initial claim myself, I can only go on what information is available. No need to get all smug about it, it's not like you personally corrected the record.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Soldered or not bot proprietary connectors all around. Welcome to a preview of the new ARM Mac where marketing will tell that you don’t need yada yDa yada. Then the cheerleaders will lap it up. Gotta love Apple propaganda and their agents.

magbarn

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

It still has double-faced tape to affix the screen. I've seen two Apple-certified techs break screens when removing them. It's an absurd design and no amount of Ive-speak will justify that decision.
Yeah the magnetic screen cover circa 2011 was awesome. Much easier to remove and replace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.