Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcslc

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2018
I’m still using my 27 inch retina 5K iMac that I bought in 2014 and it still is pretty fast

It’s nice that Apple made one last Intel iMac but I am going to hold out for the redesigned iMac with Apple Silicon that will probably come out next year
Aren’t Intel processors only like 10-15% faster in 2020 than they were in 2014?

kcslc

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2018
The complaint about its case styling is so dumb, as its appearance with that great screen is WHY people buy them, and I know, as I have two older models still going strong, BUT, this 2020 iMac 27" is completely obsolete as from the SSD read write test results I have seen online (around the 2K mark only) the logic board must still be PCIe 3.0!, and ANY recent AMD board at PCIe 4.0 is going to be (and they are!) more than double the read-write speed of this machine. SSDs in AMD machines run over 4200Mb/s write speeds WITHOUT being fitted as raid in a sonnet or something PCIE card. And the benefits of PCIe4.0 extend throughout the motherboards, such that only the Thunderbolt 3 missing from them makes you wish you had a Mac.
My chief reason to upgrade from my old Trashcan 12 core Mac Pro 6,1 is therefore gone, as, if I upgrade my 1Tb SSD (still at a lowly 800Mb/s) I can get to go at 2K as well. And yes, I have checked with OWC, so I may do just that.

What does this mean for us all? Are we all still going to be a generation behind anybody on a PC? Does the welcome T2 chip speed up ALL video encoding and decoding, or only some, some of the time?

LIke a beautiful woman can be rotten and corrupt as a bad Apple on the inside, all of us together could design a far better insides, and heat generation-wise the GPU is quite obviously a laptop cut-down model here. BIG question therefore is whether the 5700XT (vraiment) is what you get in a computer, or is it a laptop version of lesser performance/

I have spent several long days checking these PCs out, and reviews of the 5700XT GPU video card state it uses a fan blower to expel its heated air and still runs hot in a large fan-equipped box, whereas even this model has no fans in the vast spaces where they could be.

When it was announced that they would all have SSDs, I rejoiced, but with a 2014 motherboard like that, what guys, IS the point?
Intel processors don’t support pcie 4.0.

Reactions: KeithBN

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Intel processors don’t support pcie 4.0.

it is blatantly obvious that this is an easy update for Apple as their focus is on the new computers, and not the old intel ones.
It will overheat when pushed and isn’t upgradeable and is already an dated shell.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
it is blatantly obvious that this is an easy update for Apple as their focus is on the new computers, and not the old intel ones.
It will overheat when pushed and isn’t upgradeable and is already an dated shell.

mostly you are right,
but a lot of people, buying the higher configurations, depend on Windows x86, x64

and nobody knows if the apple-arm-clones will be sufficient in a workstation setup, there are only weak promises ... performance per watt ?

all we really know is that Windows x86, x64 will not work

Reactions: loby and KeithBN

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
mostly you are right,
but a lot of people, buying the higher configurations, depend on Windows x86, x64

and nobody knows if the apple-arm-clones will be sufficient in a workstation setup, there are only weak promises ... performance per watt ?

all we really know is that Windows x86, x64 will not work

yes, and that is me - I rely on windows for my work. So I just bought a PC instead, and will remote into it when needed. No way am I buying an outdated All in One computer, just so I can use windows on an overheating / down volted CPU.

Of course the Apple Silicone will be sufficient for a workstation set up [the iMac isn't a workstation btw, the iMac Pro is]. Do you think this hasn't been planned for years? The whole business strategy for Apple has been this and we will all see the results in Big Sur and the next computers.

No company makes major decisions on a whim and especially one as big as Apple.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
If it was me I'd pay for the 4Tb just to have the ability to upgrade it later, also doesn't hurt having 4Tb of internal storage.
BTW my late 2012 iMac 27" you can hear the fan just about all the time when doing just about anything, but it is getting on for 8 years old!

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
I’m still using my 27 inch retina 5K iMac that I bought in 2014 and it still is pretty fast

It’s nice that Apple made one last Intel iMac but I am going to hold out for the redesigned iMac with Apple Silicon that will probably come out next year

The opposite for me. I‘ve bought this 2020 iMac to replace a Late 2015 iMac as I don’t want a first generation Apple Silicon iMac. By the time they’ve fine-tuned their silicon for the iMac, I’ll be ready to upgrade this 2020 model. :)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
When Apple Silicon comes to iMac, people will love the thinness, but will complain when the RAM is not upgradeable
Yep, this is very likely for the future big iMac, which apart from the Mac Mini is the only current Mac the end user can still upgrade the RAM. Its one point for getting this last Intel iMac and maxing it out to future proof it for the next 5-10 years!

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
If it was me I'd pay for the 4Tb just to have the ability to upgrade it later, also doesn't hurt having 4Tb of internal storage.
BTW my late 2012 iMac 27" you can hear the fan just about all the time when doing just about anything, but it is getting on for 8 years old!

Upgrade what? The processor?

Reactions: lars666

yellow_lupine

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020
Anybody there with an i9 8-core iMac? What about noise?
Particularly during medium CPU load.
Since I work into audio production that's an aspect I'm going to consider prior to buy the new one.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Since I work into audio production that's an aspect I'm going to consider prior to buy the new one.

Wouldn't it be better to ask about current models than old ones, if you're looking to buy a current one?

yellow_lupine

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020
Couldn't find yet a proper thermals review for the new model, so I am asking for the old one, since the cooling system is essentially the same

Putzytart

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2014
Exactly the same for me. Still rocking' the 2014 same as you.
2013 here. Struggling to get by, but holding out for redesign and Apple silicon so I can run my phone and iPad apps on it. But mainly it’s the design. Can’t justify spending £5k for a machine that looks identical to the 2 I had before (including my 2011 model)

Putzytart

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2014
Just so I’m clear - does this mean that if you buy the 4tb option you could in theory upgrade to an 8TB option later?

Laces Out

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2017
Someone please tell this fellow to take his ring off when working on electronic gear.
Lol.. ESD mat didn’t look grounded.No smock,wrist strap,and probably no heel strap or floor mat.I’m guessing they’re either planning on not using it or just don’t care.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
They just want to offer a last Intel refresh before Apple Silicon to offer another option to users, not a top notch long lasting computer. The PCIe 4.0, better thermals (due to a much lower TDP SoC), a new design with thinner bezels, etc. will be put on their new Apple Silicon iMac. Putting all the good new stuff for their last Intel computer would be like shooting their feet.
Then Apple are lying when they always claim to be making the best product they possibly can.

Should have just released a re designed iMac running intel. Not hold back.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010

I’ve owned the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017 and 2019 model iMacs and they all get loud when the CPU is loaded.

My 2019 model had the 3.6GHz 8 core i9 and that was pretty loud as well.

I noticed in the 2017 (4.2GHz i7 quad) and 2019 models that the fans kicked in a lot sooner. So I would assume with the new 8 and 10 core models it will be a similar story.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Lovely see see such good looking internals.
My only point of upset is that, they have ALL THAT SPACE in their now. Would have been so simple to have filled that empty space with a well designed heatsink and large slow? running fan, to have fixed one of the long running issues with many Apple products and that's running so hot.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Then Apple are lying when they always claim to be making the best product they possibly can.

Should have just released a re designed iMac running intel. Not hold back.

We know that's always been a lie.
Well not back in the very early says, but for a long time since that statement has been used.
You say on one hand, "we make the very best computers we can"
Then you fit a 5400 rpm drive, or a low end GPU.
Neither of those equate to "The Best"
You could say, "we fit the best consumer graphics we can" and than fit a RTX 2080 Ti card as that would be true

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
We know that's always been a lie.
Well not back in the very early says, but for a long time since that statement has been used.
You say on one hand, "we make the very best computers we can"
Then you fit a 5400 rpm drive, or a low end GPU.
Neither of those equate to "The Best"
You could say, "we fit the best consumer graphics we can" and than fit a RTX 2080 Ti card as that would be true

For the price.

Nothing is stopping you from upping the specs of the iMac at the time of ordering to get the version that you want.

benlukes

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2014
So with the previous version that had a Fusion drive option, are you able to upgrade it with a standard, off the shelf SSD? I think I heard that the screen doesn’t have any adhesive holding it in either, which would mean swapping in an SSD shouldn’t be too difficult.

Of course the guy does mention “display tape” in the video, and I wouldn’t expect that to have changed between the models. So much for that idea.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.