2020 iPhones Could Feature Fast 120Hz 'ProMotion' Displays

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
You can see for yourself.
You can’t see 60/90hz difference on a 60hz video! Motion clarity from hz and motion smoothness/consistency aren’t the same thing...

Stop trying to pass off your half knowledge as actual info.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
G

God, FFR. Reading your posts in this thread is like cancer. I won’t get into all the other ridiculous comments you make, but iOS 60hz is not the same as android 90hz. Does iOS motion generally run without hiccups more than Android yes. But that doesn’t make two different hz amounts equivalent. 90hz on Android is a lot smoother than iPhones at 60hz. That’s how hz work. I will give you that iOS runs smoother so sometimes the Android display will stutter which takes away from the ultra smooth 90hz. But it doesn’t make 60hz the same as 90hz.

I own modern iPhones and Androids. I’m not loyal to either camp. Im only a objective reviewer. You sound a little brain-washed in favor of Apple. Don’t make ridiculous spec claims like you do without knowing the underlying tech well.

EDIT: TLDR. Don’t confuse good software optimization providing a smooth user experience with hardware specs that actually determine the clarity of motion.
90hz on the one plus 7 pro is not smother than an iPhone XS Max from last year.

Ultra smoothness, seriously? Watch the video no difference between them. Not much of a reviewer are you?

Laying it on a bit thick there, don’t you think.

Your post does not come off as unbiased or balanced. It seems as though you have taken offense.

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011

Ultra smoothness, seriously? Watch the video no difference between them. Not much of a reviewer are you?

Your post does not come off as unbiased or balanced. It seems as though you have taken offense.
You don’t know tech. Period. I don’t even know

You must just not understand what hz on a display means. I’m not gonna argue with you if you don’t even get that.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
You can’t see 60/90hz difference on a 60hz video! Motion clarity from hz and motion smoothness/consistency aren’t the same thing...

Stop trying to pass off your half knowledge as actual info.
Ok, was the YouTuber also unable to see the difference while performing the tests. Because he kept commenting that there wasn’t any difference.

Probably shouldn’t have been able to see some janky scrolling on the one plus 7 in the video either, go figure.

audiophilosophy

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2017
New Orleans
I sure hope so! Really, this should be included with the 2019 XR model that will be coming out in two months. It has an LCD display, so it shouldn’t be an issue to make it 120hz. Can we get 120hz standard on Macs finally?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
That's the weird one for me, if Asus is doing it this year then there's no reason why Apple can't do it this year, unless there isn't the capacity yet for large enough yields or maybe it isn't a flexible OLED yet?
Yields is not unlikely, or that Apple wants fast 60/120 Hz switching. I have no idea if that is an issue?

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Ok, was the YouTuber also unable to see the difference while performing the tests. Because he kept commenting that there wasn’t any difference.

Probably shouldn’t have been able to see some janky scrolling on the one plus 7 in the video either, go figure.
Go to blur buster website. Start reading up so you understand what you’re talking about.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
You don’t know tech. Period. I don’t even know

You must just not understand what hz on a display means. I’m not gonna argue with you if you don’t even get that.
Sure and some people just hate apple.

Are you going to spend a grand on the asus rog 2
You know because you “know tech”.

Or do you have the one plus 7pro?

Reactions: ErikGrim

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Go to blur buster website. Start reading up so you understand what you’re talking about.
Oh I get it you don’t understand.

So why was the YouTubed I able to see the difference between the 60hz iPhone and the 90hz 7 pro?

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Sure and some people just hate apple.

Are you going to spend a grand on the asus rog 2
You know because you “know tech”.

Or do you have the one plus 7pro?
I stand by that comment for its time. 16gb was pathetic for 2016.

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
For suckers and fanboys huh?
Guess you didn’t consider it to be tech either did you?
So I’m a little cooled off now. One question. Have you ever used a 27inch or bigger computer monitor with a refresh rate of at least 120hz connected to a gpu that can put out those higher rates?

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
This is interesting:

That's one area where Apple's devices had the upper hand for as long as I can remember.
iPhone has had the upper hand on this with a higher hz rate on the touch panel than others. The new ASUS touch panel is a whopping 240hz. Doubt their OS will be able to keep up with it so it will still feel like a slightly juddery experience.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
So I’m a little cooled off now. One question. Have you ever used a 27inch or bigger computer monitor with a refresh rate of at least 120hz connected to a gpu that can put out those higher rates?
Is that the same as a smartphone with a 90hz variable refresh rate and a small battery?

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Is that the same as a smartphone with a 90hz variable refresh rate and a small battery?
Bahahaha. Ok. So you really are just ignorant about real technology specs. I feel better now.
[doublepost=1563829158][/doublepost]To anyone just joining this thread, FFR doesn’t understand how display hz work. Don’t take any of his comments about hz seriously. The iPhone has a smoother display experience than the OnePlus 7. The OnePlus 7 has better motion CLARITY due to the higher hz, assuming the OS can stay smooth. Unfortunately it can’t so the 90hz experience feels juddery. This is why I still prefer iPhone. It’s optimized so well that it’s 60hz display is a better experience than the superior 90hz screen. I hope the new iPhones get the higher hz displays because the will do them right and it will be an amazing motion experience. Bye.

Reactions: Aydy

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Bahahaha. Ok. So you really are just ignorant about real technology specs. I feel better now.
Laugh all you want you but you can’t explain why the reviewer couldn’t see a difference between the one plus pro at 90hz and the iPhone at 60hz.

Instead you want to talk about 120 hz computer monitor and a gpu. Your the one coming off as incredibly ignorant and emotional.

Here you are having your emotional moment.

G

God, FFR. Reading your posts in this thread is like cancer. I won’t get into all the other ridiculous comments you make, but iOS 60hz is not the same as android 90hz. Does iOS motion generally run without hiccups more than Android yes. But that doesn’t make two different hz amounts equivalent. 90hz on Android is a lot smoother than iPhones at 60hz. That’s how hz work. I will give you that iOS runs smoother so sometimes the Android display will stutter which takes away from the ultra smooth 90hz. But it doesn’t make 60hz the same as 90hz.

I own modern iPhones and Androids. I’m not loyal to either camp. Im only a objective reviewer. You sound a little brain-washed in favor of Apple. Don’t make ridiculous spec claims like you do without knowing the underlying tech well.

EDIT: TLDR. Don’t confuse good software optimization providing a smooth user experience with hardware specs that actually determine the clarity of motion.
Never said 60hz was the same as 90hz like you erroneously claimed.

You even admit that android still stutters at 90hz compared to iPhone at 60hz.

Here is what I said that seemed to have triggered you.

Pro motion is only triggered when you need it.

iPhone @60hz is just as smooth as android @90hz.
You pretty much corroborated what I said and the you tube video and presenter proved it too.

You even went as far as to say ios was smoother.

Do you need another minute?

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Laugh all you want you but you can’t explain why the reviewer couldn’t see a difference between the one plus pro at 90hz and the iPhone at 60hz.

Instead you want to talk about 120 hz computer monitor and a gpu. Your the one coming off as incredibly ignorant and emotional.

Here you are having your emotional moment.

Never said 60hz was the same as 90hz like you erroneously claimed.

You even admit that android still stutters at 90hz compared to iPhone at 60hz.

Here is what I said that seemed to have triggered you.

You pretty much corroborated what I said and the you tube video and presenter proved it too.

You even went as far as to say ios was smoother.

Do you need another minute?
Ugh. Why am I coming back to this. I said bye. Ok. Will you at least agree that a 90hz display is smoother than a 60hz display barring all other variables?

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
The reason he likely couldn’t see the difference is because being able to perceive the difference in hz is dependent on the real world distance the motion traveled and how quickly. And on a phone screen, it is more difficult to perceive. That is why I asked the monitor question. Since it’s bigger it’s easier to perceive the difference and wanted to know if you had seen that difference before.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Ugh. Why am I coming back to this. I said bye. Ok. Will you at least agree that a 90hz display is smoother than a 60hz display barring all other variables?
No idea really, your all over the place.

Barring all variables you have your answer. Not sure why your asking.

You already admitted that an iPhone @60 hz was smoother than android @90 hz, even though all I said was “just as smooth”. Thanks for that.

I will give you that iOS runs smoother so sometimes the Android display will stutter which takes away from the ultra smooth 90hz.
iPhone @60hz is just as smooth as android @90hz.
I guess that’s your way of admitting you were wrong. Cheers.

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
You already admitted that an iPhone @60 hz was smoother than android @90 hz, even though all I said was “just as smooth”.
Im just trying to make sure people understand there’s a difference between a “smooth screen experience” vs motion clarity due to hz.

SomeSoftwareGuy

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2019
You can see for yourself.
So if I watch a video of someone watching and using two phones of different refresh rates I'm supposed to "see" the difference. Or is this a case where I just need to trust Mr. Ackerman, and his keenly calibrated eye, to tell me about the smoothness of the IPhone at 60Hz?

I get the feeling you are just setting me up for candid camera or something but I'll give ole Ackerman a shot and watch his incredible video. Only because I like you FFR... only because of that.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Im just trying to make sure people understand there’s a difference between a “smooth screen experience” vs motion clarity due to hz.
Your already admitted ios @60hz was smoother than android @90hz.

Nobody brought up motion clarity except you.