2020 iPhones Could Feature Fast 120Hz 'ProMotion' Displays

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Your already admitted ios @60hz was smoother than android @90hz.

Nobody brought up motion clarity except you.

That’s because most people will equate smoothness to hz. The only reason the 60hz iPhone looks smoother is software being better. The OnePlus has a better display at 90hz hands down.

Reactions: iLoveiTunes

SomeSoftwareGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
So if I watch a video of someone watching and using two phones of different refresh rates I'm supposed to "see" the difference. Or is this a case where I just need to trust Mr. Ackerman, and his keenly calibrated eye, to tell me about the smoothness of the IPhone at 60Hz?

I get the feeling you are just setting me up for candid camera or something but I'll give ole Ackerman a shot and watch his incredible video. Only because I like you FFR... only because of that.

Just finished watching that video @FFR ...
I'm honestly not going to take this youtubers proclamation that 90Hz android is finally able to keep up with 60Hz ios namely in Safari vs Chrome. What a person perceives as "smoothness" is more than just refresh rate of the screen.

He may be right tho, it's not a zero probability.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Just finished watching that video @FFR ...
I'm honestly not going to take this youtubers proclamation that 90Hz android is finally able to keep up with 60Hz ios namely in Safari vs Chrome. What a person perceives as "smoothness" is more than just refresh rate of the screen.

He may be right tho, it's not a zero probability.

You don’t have to.

The one plus 7 pro is still janky even with a 90hz display. iPhone XS Max not so much at 60hz

Reactions: SomeSoftwareGuy

falainber

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
That's the weird one for me, if Asus is doing it this year then there's no reason why Apple can't do it this year, unless there isn't the capacity yet for large enough yields or maybe it isn't a flexible OLED yet?

Well, Asus (ROG) phone is targeted for gaming. The problem for Apple is that they have too few models (no counting the sale of the older models). These models should be a swiss army knife type devices. They should be good at many things but they will rarely be able to excel at any given feature. Android smartphones can do it because they often target narrower market segments.

ErikGrim

macrumors 601
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
This is interesting:

That's one area where Apple's devices had the upper hand for as long as I can remember.
WTF is this chart? The touch latency of a 6S plus was 23ms. The touch latency of X/XS is 8.3ms!

Reactions: FFR

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
I think I won't notice the difference on regular usage but I will definitely play games on that refresh rates. Very nice :)

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
Wow! Films will look like soap operas. :rolleyes: Hopefully that feature can be disabled for film playback?
The FPS figure is about the motion of the UI, scrolling, etc. Videos play at whatever frame rate (24, 30, 60, etc) they already play at now.

High frame rate in a UI is great. High frame rate on movies is, as you say, trash.

Reactions: Chung123

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2013
Definitely worth skipping this year.

It’s a holdover year until;

- Proper Qualcomm X55 5G modems are back in the iPhone (not that I care about 5G but they are fantastic modems for all other purposes).
- Full screen display - no notch.
- 120Hz refresh rate at long last.
- Possible under display fingerprint reader.

This year, half baked 5G implementation.
I could be wrong but there’s almost no chance the X55 will be in this years iPhone and every other modem is not up to par for a proper efficient 5G implementation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.