Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhones next year may feature displays capable of up to 120Hz refresh rates, allowing for a smoother on-screen experience, according to one mobile leaker.

2020-iphones-pro-motion.jpeg
"Apple is considering a switchable 60Hz/120Hz refresh rate screen on the iPhone in 2020, and is discussing with Samsung and LG," tweeted Ice Universe on Sunday.

The leaker, who goes by the Twitter handle @UniverseIce, doesn't usually comment on Apple's plans, but is a well-regarded source of Samsung rumors. Samsung has supplied Apple with OLED panels for the iPhone X, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max.

Apple already uses variable refresh rate technology in its iPad Pro models, but they still use LCD panels rather than OLED. Bringing it to a new breed of OLED iPhones would raise the smartphone performance bar even higher.

Apple markets the iPad Pro-exclusive tech under the moniker "ProMotion," which it says dynamically adjusts the display to the movement of content for fluid scrolling, greater responsiveness, and smoother motion. It does all this on the fly, which means it also conserves battery life.

Apple's adaptive ProMotion IAPs also reduce Apple Pencil latency, and reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said that Apple Pencil support is a possibility for a future iPhone.

Previous rumors have suggested Apple will complete its transition to an all-OLED iPhone lineup in 2020 with new 5.4-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch devices.

But before 2020 comes around, Apple is widely expected to launch a trio of new iPhones this September, including two higher-end 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED models and one lower-end 6.1-inch LCD model.

Article Link: 2020 iPhones Could Feature Fast 120Hz 'ProMotion' Displays

Last edited:

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
That'd be amazing but with this I'm pretty sure that they are gonna pull the price level to 1500$-2000$. I would love to have such a screen with a decent price.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
ASUS just announced their ROG II phone with 120 Hz OLED, so this rumor is quite likely to happen I think.

That's the weird one for me, if Asus is doing it this year then there's no reason why Apple can't do it this year, unless there isn't the capacity yet for large enough yields or maybe it isn't a flexible OLED yet?
[doublepost=1563793833][/doublepost]
Fair is fair! If they double the refresh rate they MUST double the price of the phone, otherwise the phone would simply be too cheap for all that it offers!

Oh look someone complaining about Apple pricing, how unique :rolleyes:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Makes sense, iPhone 6 to X was also 3 years. It's probably the new cycle given that we're at the point where meaningful upgrades are becoming more and more difficult.

I don’t think ‘meaningful upgrades’ are becoming more difficult, I just don’t think that they’re becoming unnecessary. The iPhone/smart phone market is saturated, and we are to a point where consumers don’t upgrade just because the ‘camera’ is revised or Apple adds another feature, ect. Consumers will upgrade when their device is either paid off or their current device requires it because it’s experiencing problems. We’re living in times where Smart phones don’t need to be upgraded on an annual basis, not when they all really accomplish the same tasks on a year-to- year outlook.

geekonthepc

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
That'd be amazing but with this I'm pretty sure that they are gonna pull the price level to 1500$-2000$. I would love to have such a screen with a decent price.

If Apple nudge the starting price above $999/£999, that's the end of me upgrading every 2 years. Going 4 digits is a step too far and I think many will feel the same way as me.

Apple and resellers are already struggling with those not seeing the value in upgrading, and I fail to see how Apple would benefit from pushing prices even higher.

Reactions: AaronM5670

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'd really love to have a Pro Motion display on my iPhone, I like OLED but the smooth scrolling of the iPad Pro is better. An OLED with 120Hz would be awesome, finger crossed for it!

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
If Apple nudge the starting price above $999/£999, that's the end of me upgrading every 2 years. Going 4 digits is a step too far and I think many will feel the same way as me.

Apple and resellers are already struggling with those not seeing the value in upgrading, and I fail to see how Apple would benefit from pushing prices even higher.
That's my concern also. I cannot afford buying every iPhone even if I wanted so much. Even now 999$ish prices are seems too much for me and for most of the people but 1 thing I cannot trust Apple is price. So everything can happen I suppose.

Reactions: geekonthepc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.