Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
It really is bad, I returned my 12.9 inch iPad immediately. Very happy with the 11 inch model.
Could this be an issue that is only affecting some machines?

Are the screens made by more than one factory? Is there an issue in assembling the iPad?

Knowing of the blooming issue, looked very, very carefully when I saw a demonstrator in a shop. I couldn't see the slightest hint of blooming.

Reactions: MrENGLISH

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
sold my 2020 11 inch for an m1 11inch. if you’re like me and gets squeezed by the nuts from apples marketing then upgrade from whatever ipad you got.
I know some people who upgrade all their Apple devices every year.

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
I got ipad mini 2.. I ordered the new one and i am getting it tomorrow or Monday.. after watching the video i have doubts if it's worth it.. should wait for 1-2 years.. :rolleyes:
I had an iPad Mini 2 WiFi/Cellular 32 GB and Apple gave me $85 trade in towards new M1 iPad Pro 11”. I took up the offer.

Reactions: aphotechre

minivini

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
RAM, the lidar thing and iirc, one more GPU core. I guess the experience is virtually the same.

If I had a 2018 iPP I’ll wait until WWDC before upgrading. I own a 2020 11” iPP and I won’t even think about upgrading as of today.
I have the ‘18, and am waiting on wwdc to see if there is any point. Unless there are some serious software/os changes that leverage the M1, it’ll be a non-starter for me.

telo123

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2021
I know some people who upgrade all their Apple devices every year.
Some people treat annual technology upgrades similarly as going on a yearly tropical vacation. My brother and his wife don’t like travelling (traumatic incident) but both love tech, and always upgrades to the latest devices. They literally just bought the highest end M1 iMac for the sake of it.

When people ask, he says that people don’t need to upgrade every year, but they also don’t need to go on a Caribbean vacation annually either.

Best thing is that my family always gets their older devices that are still hella good for free lol.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Some people treat annual technology upgrades similarly as going on a yearly tropical vacation. My brother and his wife don’t like travelling (traumatic incident) but both love tech, and always upgrades to the latest devices. They literally just bought the highest end M1 iMac for the sake of it.

When people ask, he says that people don’t need to upgrade every year, but they also don’t need to go on a Caribbean vacation annually either.
And an awful lot of us who neither upgrade all our kit nor go on Caribbean holidays every year. :D Indeed, don't feel the need to upgrade for years and years. Phone example: Galaxy S2 -> iPhone 6s -> iPhone 12 Pro.

Jt69yupper

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
These are the best iPads Pros Apple has ever made. I can't think of a single good reason why anybody would choose not to upgrade.

The best is an opinion as what the purpose of the iPad is for the user.

The weight for portability being a hand held tablet is poor, very noticable between 2020 and 2021. Dealable but not as good.

Blooming if reading in the dark, black shadows and lantern like unbalanced lighting.

M1 / 8gb ram good , will it be utilized?

I actually switched back to the 2020 which I just purchased from Amazon after buying the M1, I could not stand the new iPad and it’s a shame as I love Apple and can afford the device.

My opinion:
These are great for creatives but not so good for cosumption and productivity.

I am not sure what to do once the 6gb of ram is not enough and Apple is still using mini led display…

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

cbns

macrumors member
May 21, 2021
article doesn't mention the usb-c is SLOW af and not worhty of usb/thunderbolt 4 titles

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I upgraded from a 10.5. Although usability is still the same, it crushes the 10.5 in almost every respect even typing. I really enjoy my new m1 iPad. If I were using a 2018, I would not upgrade to the new version however. My fiancé has a 2018 and it works just as well as my 2021.

Applecool78

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
I’m definitely upgrading to iPad Pro 2021 12.9in from my iPad 7gen:):apple:

Last edited by a moderator:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I hope they add Final Cut Pro at wwdc we will just see at wwdc if they add it or not

Not sure why apple would waste their time doing that. If you want final cut get a mac. Or add macOS option to iPad pros. Any iOS version would be a joke as are versions we see now of office, photoshop, etc. Theres nothing pro about them on an iPad.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Unless compelled by needs due to a significant software update from WWDC announcement, I probably will upgrade when needed.

going from 2020 to 2021 is waste at this moment. I like mini LED, but it doesn't justify the cost.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
A lot of people (myself included) have suggested we might get some sort of announcement regarding expanded capabilities for the iPad pro at wwdc, but wouldn’t make more sense to have delayed the introduction of the new models then?

And while the chip is an M1, the thermal envelope and battery remain those of an iPad, maybe having all of the sudden pro apps or some variant of macOS on the ipad pros would yield a less than optimal experience.

Oh well, only 8 days to know.

Applecool78

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
Not sure why apple would waste their time doing that. If you want final cut get a mac. Or add macOS option to iPad pros. Any iOS version would be a joke as are versions we see now of office, photoshop, etc. Theres nothing pro about them on an iPad.

A lot of people (myself included) have suggested we might get some sort of announcement regarding expanded capabilities for the iPad pro at wwdc, but wouldn’t make more sense to have delayed the introduction of the new models then?

And while the chip is an M1, the thermal envelope and battery remain those of an iPad, maybe having all of the sudden pro apps or some variant of macOS on the ipad pros would yield a less than optimal experience.

Oh well, only 8 days to know.

Applecool78

macrumors member
May 30, 2021

Oh well, only 8 days to know
i agree

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
You cannot (yet) design solid UI work on the iPad. The screen is too small. I also like to see how Figma, Sketch and XD run on it with an external monitor connected. But we are getting there.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Honestly I'm still using 2018 12.9" and I have like 0 reasons to upgrade. The thing is fast, battery is fine, does everything I need it to do. The only upgrade I will likely feel is the mini LED display which is not a huge deal to me at the moment. I think Pre 2018 devices could definitely see a big improvement.

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Apple - Please update iPadOS so you can use external displays to extend desktop and to use any app on!

Then it would truely be a laptop replacement device imo. I’d upgrade my 2020 12.9 if the M1 iPad allowed this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.