Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 10.1, marking the first major update to the tvOS 10 operating system that was first released in September. tvOS 10.1 has been in testing since October 31, and Apple seeded four betas to developers before its public release.

The tvOS 10.1 update can be downloaded on the fourth-generation Apple TV using the Settings app. Go to System --> Software Update to install. For those who have automatic software updates turned on, the Apple TV will be upgraded to tvOS 10.1 automatically.

Apple has also released an 8.4.2 update for third-generation Apple TV owners, which is available alongside tvOS 10.1.

tvos101release-800x500.jpg

tvOS 10.1 introduces a brand new "TV" app, which is designed to make it easier for users to discover new content across the dozens of television and movie apps that are available.

It serves as a sort of Apple-designed television guide, giving customers a way to find and watch TV and movies across multiple devices. It features a dedicated store, recommended content, and cross-device syncing.

The TV app works hand-in-hand with Single Sign-On, a long-promised tvOS 10 feature that was introduced last week. Single Sign-On lets users sign in with their cable credentials one time to access all live cable content they're entitled to across multiple apps.

Single Sign-On is currently available for CenturyLink Prism, DirecTV, Dish, GVTC, GTA, Hawaiian Telcom, Hotwire, Metrocast, Service Electric, and Sling TV.

tvOS 10, for those unfamiliar with the operating system, brings features like improved search, expanded Siri capabilities, a dark mode, a Continuity option for using the iPhone for text input, automatic app downloads, quicker access to live TV, and more. For more details on tvOS 10 and tvOS 10.1, make sure to check out our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 10.1 With New TV App

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Has anyone got single sign on to work with DirecTVNOW? I wonder if it's only working with a standard DirecTV account right now.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Has anyone got single sign on to work with DirecTVNOW? I wonder if it's only working with a standard DirecTV account right now.

It's not available for DTV Now, at least not as of the last time I checked (yesterday).

Anyone have a summary of the ATV3 changes?

Reactions: ayale99

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
I'd like a new ATV, but to be honest its just a netlix box for my tv so I'm thinking that I won't get much extra use out of it.

ATV3 can stay in the house until it breaks!

My use of Apple TV 4Gen:

1.Streaming; Playstation Vue, Directv Now (Testing)
2.Plex TV (Plex DVR(record local stations) play my own media
3.Channels App (Local channel guide and the ability for all TVs to see the local channels with one antenna

The Apple TV is my set top box now on all of my TV's (4)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'd like a new ATV, but to be honest its just a netlix box for my tv so I'm thinking that I won't get much extra use out of it.

ATV3 can stay in the house until it breaks!

Netflix on the ATV3 is a lot better than the ATV4 Netflix app imo. If Netflix was the only app I would use, then I would probably sell my ATV4 and just use my ATV3 boxes.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
So, on the TV app, it doesn't even show the shows for ABC and all the other apps I downloaded.... It have to be HBO Go and Hulu (etc)? Also, do other providers besides DirecTV have live TV on the TV app? I guess using the ATT app is best since it doesn't use up my data...

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Surprised they updated the 3rd gen, I sold my last one recently to an employee since she could use it for air playing n such, so it's nice to know they're still supporting it in some form, I know a lot of people who have them.

Reactions: jezbd1997 and LiveM

nightowl

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2003
Sacramento, CA
So, on the TV app, it doesn't even show the shows for ABC and all the other apps I downloaded.... It have to be HBO Go and Hulu (etc)? Also, do other providers besides DirecTV have live TV on the TV app? I guess using the ATT app is best since it doesn't use up my data...

The live TV functions aren't coming from the provider apps, it's coming from the content apps (ESPN, HGTV, DIY, etc.). It would be nice if DirectvNOW, Vue, and Sling incorporated their apps into the ecosystem that way, but nothing so far from any of them.

So, watching any channel strictly through the SSO and TV app will still use your data. Only if you are a Directv NOW and AT&T DSL sub will you possibly not use up your data. Last I heard, AT&T hasn't really said whether or not DTV Now uses home internet capacity or not, only that it's zero-rated on their wireless service.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
How do you tell this tv app which shows you watch so that it lets you know when there is a new episode?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It's different? I thought they would be identical. Well that's encouraging thanks!
It is very different. To be fair, the ATV4 version of the apps typically look better, but the usability is not nearly as good, and some of the ATV4 version of apps have less simple features.

Example, the YouTube app on the ATV3 is slightly limited, but you can view peoples channels, and subscribe to those channels easily. The ATV4 version is horrible limited to the point that the only way to see more videos from channel is to search for that channel first.

Also, in my experience the ATV4 version of apps are significantly lower when starting up. Hulu is sometimes 10 seconds.

The greatest thing going for ATV is the app store, which is pretty limited atm, but maybe will be better in the future. Also, using Siri remote to search for things is nice. Especially since most of the search systems on the apps are in a line, meaning it takes a long time to go back and forth with the remote. Man I hate that.

And lastly, the bugs are horrible on the ATV4. I don't have to do it as much now, but at one point, I had to restart the ATV4 a few times a day. Now it is like 1-3 times a week.

The ATV3 is much more simple, but works so much better for things I do most.

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
Why is HBO Now supported but not HBO Go?

I wanted to ask the same question. Showtime, STARZ, etc all work, but for some reason HBO GO doesn't? Hopefully it's just a temporary glitch.

....or at least i haven't been smart enough yet to figure it out.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
It is very different. To be fair, the ATV4 version of the apps typically look better, but the usability is not nearly as good, and some of the ATV4 version of apps have less simple features.

Example, the YouTube app on the ATV3 is slightly limited, but you can view peoples channels, and subscribe to those channels easily. The ATV4 version is horrible limited to the point that the only way to see more videos from channel is to search for that channel first.

Also, in my experience the ATV4 version of apps are significantly lower when starting up. Hulu is sometimes 10 seconds.

The greatest thing going for ATV is the app store, which is pretty limited atm, but maybe will be better in the future. Also, using Siri remote to search for things is nice. Especially since most of the search systems on the apps are in a line, meaning it takes a long time to go back and forth with the remote. Man I hate that.

And lastly, the bugs are horrible on the ATV4. I don't have to do it as much now, but at one point, I had to restart the ATV4 a few times a day. Now it is like 1-3 times a week.

The ATV3 is much more simple, but works so much better for things I do most.

I think your Apple TV is broken. I've had an ATV4 for a year, use it every day, and have had to restart the whole thing maybe twice aside from OS updates.

Reactions: LiveM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.