Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning an entire revamp of its Apple Watch lineup for 2022, including an update to the Apple Watch SE and a new Apple Watch with a rugged design aimed at sports athletes, according to respected Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman.

apple-watch-series-7-aluminum-colors.jpg

Writing in the latest installment of his Power On newsletter, Gurman said that for 2022, alongside the Apple Watch Series 8, Apple is planning an update to the Apple Watch SE. The Apple Watch SE was released in September 2020 and has since served as a mid-level option for customers. The Apple Watch SE features the same design as the Apple Watch Series 6 but lacks advanced features such as an always-on display, blood oxygen sensor, and ECG functionality.

Apple typically doesn't update its "SE" devices, such as the iPhone SE, for several years. Given that Apple didn't announce an update this year, a new model can presumably be expected for 2022. Gurman didn't say what can be expected from the new Apple Watch SE, but it may include a slightly tweaked design and health features more in parity with higher-end models.

Alongside an update to the existing Apple Watch SE, Apple is planning an entirely new Apple Watch aimed at sports athletes. Bloomberg had previously reported that Apple recently considered launching a rugged version of the Apple Watch with bolstered durability. The new Apple Watch, according to Gurman, will feature a "ruggedized" design that may feature a case that's more resistant to scratches, dents, falls, and more.

Before its official unveiling, rumors and reports confidently suggested that the Apple Watch Series 7 would feature a flat-edged design. Those rumors failed to come true, and the Apple Watch Series 7 turned out to feature a more curved design. Those rumors, instead, may have been referring to the "rugged" Apple Watch allegedly in the works, however, that remains purely speculative.
apple-watch-s7-silver.jpg

Apple currently partners with Nike for special Apple Watch Series 7 and SE models that feature a unique watch face and come paired with special watch bands. Those models feature the same design and durability as the standard Apple Watch.

The current Apple Watch lineup features the Apple Watch Series 7, the Apple Watch SE, and the Apple Watch Series 3 from 2017. Apple is now rumored to be planning to expand the lineup to more customer demographics in 2022, such as athletes who may have so far decided against purchasing an Apple Watch due to its durability.

Article Link: 2022 Apple Watch Lineup Rumored to Include New Apple Watch SE and 'Rugged' Model for Sports

Last edited:
Reactions: Marrrum

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
Nice. I'm looking to upgrade my Series 3LTE next year. Didn't see much of a reason this year seeing as they're still selling it.

Reactions: Jovijoker

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Before its official unveiling, rumors and reports confidently suggested that the Apple Watch Series 7 would feature a flat-edged design. Those rumors failed to come true, and the Apple Watch Series 7 turned out to feature a more curved design. Those rumors, instead, may have been referring to the "rugged" Apple Watch allegedly in the works, however, that remains purely speculative.

This was what I was wondering once the actual AW7 was revealed. Assuming this "rugged" watch will have a rubberized case like the Casio G-Shocks, would that work better on a square case? Maybe easier to add or remove (should Apple decide to offer different cases with different colors)?

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Ruggedized Apple Watch SE with full Series 8 health sensors (looking at you blood sugar levels) & stand-alone (meaning no iPhone needed) cellphone service...?!? ;^p

Reactions: Jovijoker

Marrrum

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2021

Apple is planning an entire revamp of its Apple Watch lineup for 2022, including an update to the Apple Watch SE and a new Apple Watch with a rugged design aimed at sports athletes, according to respected Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman.

apple-watch-series-7-aluminum-colors.jpg

Writing in the latest installment of his Power On newsletter, Gurman said that for 2022, alongside the Apple Watch Series 8, Apple is planning an update to the Apple Watch SE. The Apple Watch SE was released in September 2020 and has since served as a mid-level option for customers. The Apple Watch SE features the same design as the Apple Watch Series 6 but lacks advanced features such as an always-on display, blood oxygen sensor, and ECG functionality.

Apple typically doesn't update its "SE" devices, such as the iPhone SE, for several years. Given that Apple didn't announce an update this year, a new model can presumably be expected for 2022. Gurman didn't say what can be expected from the new Apple Watch SE, but it may include a slightly tweaked design and health features more in parity with higher-end models.

Alongside an update to the existing Apple Watch SE, Apple is planning an entirely new Apple Watch aimed at sports athletes. Bloomberg had previously reported that Apple recently considered launching a rugged version of the Apple Watch with bolstered durability. The new Apple Watch, according to Gurman, will feature a "ruggedized" design that may feature a case that's more resistant to scratches, dents, falls, and more.

Apple currently partners with Nike for special Apple Watch Series 7 and SE models that feature a unique watch face and come paired with special watch bands. Those models feature the same design and durability as the standard Apple Watch.

The current Apple Watch lineup features the Apple Watch Series 7, the Apple Watch SE, and the Apple Watch Series 3 from 2017. Apple is now rumored to be planning to expand the lineup to more customer demographics in 2022, such as athletes who may have so far decided against purchasing an Apple Watch due to its durability.

Article Link: 2022 Apple Watch Lineup Rumored to Include New Apple Watch SE and 'Rugged' Model for Sports
Perhaps I will upgrade from S3 finally.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Love my Apple Watch 3 and I am not feeling any performance pinch from it based on what I use it for. I would love one one of the new ones, its just that I don't think I am a hardcore user to justify the upgrade. Certainly would love the larger screen. Probably will pick one up for my mom.

torontotim

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2019
I'd be kind of in on something that was a departure design wise from the current watch, like a more rugged version. Might be handy for adventure motorcycle riding etc.

I've never owned an Apple Watch, and more than likely never will, but I could be tempted if I could get one that didn't make me look like one of the herd of sheep already wearing them.

• Wow
Reactions: Regbial

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I've never owned an Apple Watch, and more than likely never will, but I could be tempted if I could get one that didn't make me look like one of the herd of sheep already wearing them.

I've worn one since S0, so I doubt I'll switch, but they've certainly turned into this.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
The real AW upgrade would be truly "independent" cellular that works internationally and doesn't have any feature limitations if your iPhone is turned off.

A rugged "sports" edition will only appeal to athletes if the battery gets a serious bump -The World's most versatile smart watch is worth nothing if enabling all the features and monitoring makes it die within a few hours.

Honestly, I'd gladly take another iteration of the S6/S7 with no new features if they just did a serious battery bump. Would make a huge difference in usability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.