Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
The problem with this is the name “Pro”. The most visible competitor, IMO, is Microsoft Surface Pro, which also is $999 at the bottom end. It runs Windows. That makes for a very powerful tablet/laptop combination. At that price, the iPad Pro feels very, very hampered compared to a surface. The iPad Pro just doesn’t have the software required to make the iPad Pro feel “Pro”. Now, perhaps if Apple would make something like, say, Final Cut Pro for iPad, or XCode, then you may hear people think differently. But I would love to have an iPad that can supplement my work on my Mac. It can do some things, like email and documents, but otherwise it doesn’t feel “Pro”.

Worse, the Surface Pro 9 is currently cheaper than the iPad Pro at nearly the same screen size and storage sizes. Obviously battery life (even though I got more out of my Surface compared to the iPad Pro) and performance is a concern, but considering I can do more with the Surface Pro compared to an iPad that itself might be a moot point.

Stage Manager remains a mess for me in the latest iPadOS RC.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You're pretty much already using a gimped Mac with the new iPad Airs and Pros. Guts of a Mac but does a lot less than a Mac and is more expensive than a Mac.
However, when not being used as a work device, the magic keyboard can be removed and the ipad can be used as a consumption device. We will have the ipad for at least 4 years so it's worth it for $250 a year.
Any benefit of that tablet form is lost with how limiting iPadOS is on the M series chips. It's why many Pros beg Apple to allow them to dualboot macOS on the M1/M2 iPads.
It may get more functionality or not. But the M1 chip was clearly faster than anything I saw to date on an ipad. So for a work device it's worth it.
If you want a tablet form, just get the vanilla iPad, not the Pro. Once you get to that high price range of the M1/M2 iPads, at that point the Mac would be better.
Given what I said above, the ipad is better for me.

philcooper

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
London
There’s no way I’m ever buying another iPad until they reintroduce the 128GB model which is most people’s sweet spot.
Having to leap from 64GB to 256Gb coughing up another £180 has put my back up.

I have spent many thousands over the years with Apple and I’m coming to the end of the road with their products and price points. No real innovation just disproportionate price bumps.

Reactions: GuruZac

vtuberalpha

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2021
Germany
Federico’s over reaction to the Apple pencil hover is just him paying his dues to stay in Apples good graces.
I agree, I genuinely don't see much real benefit with this hover as someone who uses their iPad Pro primarily for note-taking and media consumption.

It's clear this feature is geared towards artists who want a Wacom-like experience.

His hype around it baffles me honestly.

dandy1117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Are there any prices listed? If I wanted more, and it was the same price, I'd be happy. If it was more for more, but I still had a choice of the old one for the same, that would still be ok. Now, if it was more for more, but they totally eliminated the old one, and I didn't care about the small upgrade, I'd be upset
I think you may have missed my point. If it’s your first time at the restaurant, you don’t have any context about the chicken entree from last week. Your only concern is whether today’s meal offering is of value to you. To make that assessment, you need to know full information about the entree and not just a comparison that highlights changes.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
The king is dead, long live the king…

Attachments

• 161F2782-3A52-465B-8E50-DF6C618AA524.jpeg
    161F2782-3A52-465B-8E50-DF6C618AA524.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 24

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Wow I’m surprised we got Pencil hover. I’ve wanted it for a long time but didn’t think we’d actually get it. I guess I assumed it was a limitation of a Bluetooth stylus.

I’ve wanted hover just to draw/write more accurately, but new UI interactions sounds very interesting. Could turn out to be even more useful.

I wonder if Apple keeps adding useful features to the Apple Pencil, it will eventually become considered indispensable to the iPad…

B4rbelith

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2020
You don’t say.
I do have to say though that I don’t understand the calls for a redesign, I think the thing about the current iPad Pro design is that it works, and it works well.
Even the landscape camera on the new budget iPad means you can’t put the Apple Pencil there, there’s just not enough room for both the camera and the magnetic port. Or there is and Apple just wanted to cheap out, but you get my point.
It’s really all down to the software, just as it’s been the last several years.
I said the same thing in another thread. I just don’t see how you can have a landscape camera and the magnets and charging area for the pencil in the same space.
That’s the reason the new entry-level iPad is still using the 1st gen Apple Pencil.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
I recently ordered the Ipad Pro 3rd gen, it was on clearance from Costco starting at $629. The new one is a joke of a upgrade, might as well save some $$$ since they are basically the same as the newer version. Apple needs to step their game, their products are stale, I didn’t even get the new iphone this year since its almost the same as the previous 2 versions.

The iPad and iPhone have both gone stale. There is rarely a practical reason to upgrade them for 2-4 years. Gimmicks are not compelling reasons.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
there’s just not enough room for both the camera and the magnetic port.

It is such a lame excuse.

Why not put the camera slightly off center? Center Stage could help recenter without you looking off.

They just weren’t interested yet for whatever reason.

My guess is they don’t expect a ton of takers since the bump is so small so wanted to keep R&D costs down by not needing to retool molds, etc. I would agree with that. I think the iPad Pro has sold probably to everyone who wants one with very little on the table to compel an upgrade.

Reactions: slplss

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I agree, I genuinely don't see much real benefit with this hover as someone who uses their iPad Pro primarily for note-taking and media consumption.

It's clear this feature is geared towards artists who want a Wacom-like experience.

His hype around it baffles me honestly.
Reviewers like him are normally briefed before the embargo is up. So, the Apple rep he probably was talking to likely coerced him to put emphasis on that feature.

Sphincty

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014

The new iPad Pro with the M2 chip will start arriving to customers and launch in stores on Wednesday, October 26. Ahead of time, the first reviews of the new iPad Pro have now been shared by select media publications and YouTube channels.

ipad-pro-2022.jpg

Key new features for the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro include the M2 chip, Wi-Fi 6E support, new hover functionality for the Apple Pencil, and support for ProRes video recording. The device also has Smart HDR 4 and supports Bluetooth 5.3.

We have rounded up both written and video reviews of the new iPad Pro below.

Written Reviews

The new iPad Pro is able to detect the second-generation Apple Pencil while it hovers up to 12mm above the display, allowing users to see a preview of their drawing before they make it. Federico Viticci at MacStories called the feature a "very nice surprise," as he found it useful for interacting with iPadOS as a whole:For example, Viticci said Apple Pencil hover can be used to preview and scrub through videos on the YouTube website in Safari.

Jason Snell of Six Colors expressed disappointment that the iPad Pro still has a 2018 design and said the device would benefit from some features that the new 10th-generation iPad received, such as a landscape FaceTime camera and a Magic Keyboard with function keys:Apple says the new iPad Pro has up to 15% faster CPU performance and up to 35% faster GPU performance compared to the previous model with the M1 chip. Engadget's Nathan Ingraham said the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with the M2 chip was "far more responsive" in his initial testing than his 11-inch iPad Pro with the A12Z chip from 2020:Mac Otakara shared Geekbench 5 results for the new iPad Pro that confirm about a 15-16% increase in multi-core performance over the previous model (8,516 score for 12.9-inch model with M2 chip vs. 7,326 for the 12.9-inch model with M1 chip):

Geekbench-5-iPad-Pro.png

Mashable's Stan Schroeder said iPadOS 16's new Stage Manager feature remains "buggy" on the new iPad Pro and is "far from perfect":Video Reviews and Unboxings

Article Link: iPad Pro With M2 Chip Reviews: Minor Spec Bump With 'One Very Nice Surprise'
Perhaps we are entering a 'reboot' of the Herr Spindler era at Apple where there are a confusing array of choices?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It is such a lame excuse.

Why not put the camera slightly off center? Center Stage could help recenter without you looking off.

They just weren’t interested yet for whatever reason.

My guess is they don’t expect a ton of takers since the bump is so small so wanted to keep R&D costs down by not needing to retool molds, etc. I would agree with that. I think the iPad Pro has sold probably to everyone who wants one with very little on the table to compel an upgrade.
No. Don’t put the camera off centre. Put the magnets off centre, either on one side or else straddling the camera. Or else put it on the side like where the camera used to be.

Anyhow, I don’t see this happening probably until it gets a new screen tech, perhaps in 2024. This was the placeholder M2 drop-in update until that happens.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
It’s funny, some feel limited and gimped by iPadOS, yet I, and the many that do know how to use it properly, could feel that it’s in fact the people suggesting it that are the limiting factor..it’s ok if you can’t operate it or make it work for what you need.. but insisting that it’s due to the device being limited rather than your ability or need to use it, is just bizarre. Just don’t buy it, and don’t worry about it!

That’s the nature of professional products. Not all professionals need the same thing. I am sure you can find carpenters who will tell you it is perfectly good for them to use a consumer grade drill, or other tool, from Lowe’s and it is more than enough. The “commercial” stuff is a money grab. You’ll also find another who would wear out a consumer grade drill in a day or two with how hard they need to run them.

The iPad Pro is an extremely strong and powerful tool in the creative space. It has been for a while now. Those professions were never well served in the computing model. So this makes sense.

For many other professionals the artificial limitations are painful. And there isn’t anything wrong with trying to convince Apple to take them into account as well.

Reactions: RalfTheDog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.