Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's next-generation MacBook Air will feature a mini-LED display and launch in 2022, according to DigiTimes.

MBA-Mock-White-Front-Blue.jpg

DigiTimes previously said that the MacBook Air is set to get a mini-LED display in the future, but the Taiwanese publication has now doubled-down on the claim.

Citing industry sources, the latest report says that Apple is "likely" to adopt mini-LED backlighting for a MacBook Air with a 13.3-inch display. The device is rumored to launch in 2022.

The new mini-LED model is expected to boost MacBook Air shipments by around two million units next year. The report added that the 11-inch iPad Pro is also likely to adopt a mini-LED display in 2022.

The claim comes after the launch of the 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, which both feature the first mini-LED displays on a MacBook, stylised by Apple as "Liquid Retina XDR" displays. Rumors of a mini-LED MacBook Air have been floating around for some time, with the reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo repeatedly saying that the 2022 MacBook Air will feature a mini-LED display.

Apple now uses mini-LED technology for a range of its high-end devices, including the Pro Display XDR, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and the 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro. Mini-LED on the MacBook Air would be a significant development in Apple's product lineup because the technology has been reserved only for "Pro" products thus far.

Mini-LED display technology brings a significant improvement display quality, allowing for thinner, lighter designs while offering benefits like improved wide color gamut, high contrast and dynamic range, and truer blacks. Several reports have suggested that MacBooks will be the main driver of mini-LED panel shipments going forward as Apple transitions to the technology across many of its products with displays.

Article Link: 2022 MacBook Air Again Rumored to Feature Mini-LED Display

Last edited:

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
As always, Apple is unifying their product line. Bringing ProMotion from iPad to iPhone to Mac. Notch is coming to Mac. It's usually just a question of "when" these features are brought to other products, not if.

Putzytart

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2014
This white bezel thing is really upsetting me. I hated it on the iPod touch. I hate it on the new iMac. As long as they keep it to the consumer grade and leave black to the pro stuff then I guess I can just turn away and pretend it doesn't exist. But geez. Come on. It's horrible. Really really horrible.

karranz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Nowadays apple products are good (anyone). In my case I decide based on ugliness. I chose my iPhone based on which one was the less ugly (color, form factor, etc.). The same happened with my new laptop, I'm not going to buy a MacBook Pro with 2000's design. So I chose the current MacBook Pro with the M1 chip. Same happened with the homedpods I got, I don't need child speakers in my home, so I choose the original HomePod. By the way I bought the pro keyboard because I can't stand white keys. I may be crazy or different as apple used to call it.

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
I just hope there are dark colors as well, maybe even a black one!

I'm not an Air fan, but if it's good, more people will buy it, raising Apple's share in the market and attracting more Games/Apps for us.

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
I think the white bezels look good, finally a fresh look and not always the same old thing we've had for 15 years now.

And what about the white notch? Just get over it already. Black notch, white notch, it doesn't matter. It's highly functional because you get more screen estate. Whether it's black or white absolutely doesn't matter. It's just that you're all more used to the black notch.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
At least there’s the white polish cloth to match the white bezels and notch. I mean, you can get it when it’s no longer backordered.

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44 and kerr

James Godfrey

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
I personally can’t see miniLED coming to the Air line, Apple will want to keep costs down on this machine… adding miniLED will likely force the price up to $1199 or maybe more.

I personally expect the colours, the white bezels/keyboard, new chassis, M2, Magsafe that’s pretty much it.

MiniLED seems to be geared towards the Pro line of devices, even the iPad Air has had zero rumours of miniLED (only OLED rumours), but even that has fallen through so it will likely still get an LCD display next year.

James Godfrey

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2011
I don’t understand the hate with the white bezels… to me the iMac looks more in keeping with the keyboard and mouse now than it used to be… on the old iMacs the keyboard and mouse just didn’t seem to fit in…

Attachments

• 4F7CB595-EE1E-4679-BE54-55761F52B91C.jpeg
    4F7CB595-EE1E-4679-BE54-55761F52B91C.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 818
  • 3E3A88AE-81D6-447F-96AB-1BDF4769E32D.jpeg
    3E3A88AE-81D6-447F-96AB-1BDF4769E32D.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 816

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
It's not the wacky colors or the notches that are going to drive me away from the Mac, it's their stubborn refusal to create a large-screened notebook with a high refresh rate that doesn't include overpowered CPUs and GPUs I don't need.

I don't know if Apple knows this or not, but there are plenty of working professionals who benefit from expansive screen real estate and additional screen smoothness and responsiveness but who do not do photo editing or video rendering.

It sure would be nice if they'd remember we exist. But then why should they, when they can ignore us and count on us to buy super expensive devices we don't actually need just to get the features they're intentionally withholding. It's starting to feel more and more like extortion.

I've been waiting for years for that rumored 15-16" MacBook Air, but I think it's time to give up and move on.

Reactions: Abstract

downpour

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I don’t get the hate either. It’s just a border. Who cares? You’re looking at what’s inside it.

Why does everything have to be black and grey? Like a rainy day how depressing
It isn't just because black looks better, it's because the screen can only blend into a black background. If you care about the image on the screen, this is important... i.e. if you are editing photos, watching video or doing graphic design etc. White around your image will throw your judgements off when editing.

Even if you have a white image on the screen it won't blend into a white bezel, as there is always a black border between the screen and the bezel. A glowing white screen will never match a white bezel, but black is just black, so it blends. I've had iPhones, iPads and Macs with both white and black bezels over the years and black is just better in every case.

Luckily Apple seem to realise that professionals need black borders, so hopefully there will be a Pro version of the iMac with this feature to match the new MacBook Pros.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.