Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As LG works on a fix for a Wi-Fi router issue plaguing its UltraFine 27-inch 5K Display, Apple has delayed shipments for the accessory and removed in store pickup options.

New orders for the LG UltraFine 5K Display will now ship out in five to six weeks, ensuring buyers will get a display with updated hardware that fixes the Wi-Fi interference problem.

lgultrafine5kdisplaydelayed.jpg

Prior to the shipping change, the displays were shipping out in a couple of weeks, and for a period in January, shipping estimates were as low as three to five days.

The shipping delay can be attributed to an issue that first popped up shortly after the displays began shipping out to customers in December. Users began noticing display glitches and freezes that were eventually attributed to interference caused by close proximity to a Wi-Fi router. Last week, LG confirmed the existence of a problem, apologized, and announced an official hardware fix.

Going forward, all UltraFine 5K Displays manufactured after February 2017 include additional shielding, protecting them against electromagnetic radiation from routers.

Existing models are also able to be retrofitted with the same improved shielding, and customers who have already purchased a display will need to get in touch with LG support to arrange a repair to solve the problem.

Created by Apple and LG to work with the new 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models, the UltraFine 5K Display continues to be available for $974, a 25 percent discount off of the standard $1,299.95 price tag. Special pricing, part of a sale on USB-C accessories, will be available until March 31.

Update: In line with Apple removing its in-store pickup tool, the LG UltraFine 5K Display appears to be temporarily out of stock at all Apple retail stores. A tipster informed us the Apple Store in Walnut Creek, CA was unable to process his LG UltraFine 5K Display purchase on Thursday:
When the Apple Store manager tried to sell it to me, the internal system would not allow him to sell it. As an experiment, he tried inputting a 4K model, successfully, which confirmed that the sales lockout only applies to the 5K monitor.
MacRumors called Apple Stores in New York, Toronto, and elsewhere, and all of the locations confirmed the display was out of stock. Apple's central call center is also unable to check availability of the display.

Article Link: Apple Delays Sales of UltraFine 5K Display as LG Works on Shielding Fix

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Bummer. Was thinking of this monitor.

I may just go with the 38" ultra wide. Not really up to wait an additional 3 weeks.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Gonna keep my display for another week till the end of it's return window then request a replacement I guess. Apple should've never gotten out of the display game. What a debacle.
It is an interesting position to be in. In order to build great products themselves, it takes investment and work. In order to support another company's products that aren't great, it takes investment and work.

Hopefully working with LG will end up being less investment and work, because the product isn't great.

Reactions: smacrumon

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
The fact that Apple is selling monitors that are stylistically and visually so different from the computers they are intended to match shows the lack of attention given to the user experience.

Brand cohesiveness is out the Windows, I guess.

Last edited:

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
COMPLETE DUD FROM GO TO WHOA! Even that screen wallpaper in the product shot is average.
Quit this sh-- Apple. Release your own designed displays. This is just too ridiculous. There's too much nonsense going on here.
[doublepost=1486682012][/doublepost]
Sigh. Should have made your own, Apple.

I actually like the industrial styling of this but damn those bezels are huge.
Not to mention the bezels are irregular and asymmetrical.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010

The Apple Cinema display bezels were much larger... like the top bezel all the way round.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana

Why echo the same things over and over? Complaining about the bezels does nothing productive and that's all anyone ever says.

It's easy to hate on products you have no intention of buying. I've never used this display but from what I hear it's pretty darn good.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Maybe I'm just missing something, but why does this monitor need wifi?
It doesn't need Wi-Fi. It's missing tin foil shielding around the display components. Since the shielding isn't there, the display components are interfered when devices that transmit strong signals are placed close by. In this case, Wi-Fi base stations emit a large amount of interference and cause the display to not work.
[doublepost=1486682585][/doublepost]Tom Cook continues to lose his mind thinking that this was ever going to work.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
How hard was it to make your own display Apple!!??? When you outsource a product like this to another company you don't get the same oversight as something that was developed in house. I mean seriously, would anyone bat an eye if it was 1200 or even 1500 dollars for this monitor if it had Apple's ID? I cannot get behind this decision they made...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Tom Cook continues to lose his mind thinking that this was ever going to work.
Yeah, how could he expect things to work out for the remaining 10% of Mac users with an external display that worked out for 90% of all Mac user with an external display: Using a third-party display. /s

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
At least this got enough attention for a fix. My LG ultrawide display has issues that could be fixed by firmware update but they simply don't care.

No way I'd ever consider another LG display.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
This whole LG farce is why Steve never put the wellbeing of his company in the hands of a third party.

Hardware before any smart hole mentions apps.

Isn't it basically confirmed that Steve didn't want an App Store at first because he wants to control the entire user experience? Wasn't it Forestall and a handful of others who convinced him at the end?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.