Apple Delays Sales of UltraFine 5K Display as LG Works on Shielding Fix

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2017.

1. lg_5k_sucks, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

lg_5k_sucks macrumors newbie

Not only does the flickering occur, but also causes massive audio interference. Plug in any studio monitor to the headphone jack on the new matchbook, and enjoy the noise. Unplug the monitor and all is fine. I question if this monitor will not damage the MacBook.

Further to this. If you plug in the Mac power supply the audio interference stops reduces. There is still a slight audible hum. If you work in a studio do not use this monitor.

1k down the drain.

2. sziehr macrumors 6502a

Doing you have the updated / Fixed model ?

3. reden macrumors 6502a

I must've been one of the last ones. I ordered mine on Wednesday night and got it yesterday evening.

4. PatriotInvasion, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

PatriotInvasion macrumors 68000

PatriotInvasion

Good post. I agree that 5 years into the Cook era, it's clear he has sucked out a good chunk of Apple's brand mystique while growing the company's revenue astronomically through the proliferation of the iPhone worldwide. Since he is an operations guy at heart and not a marketer like Steve, the warts are starting to show in so many places where the balance sheet and EBITDA are impacting the aura that has surrounded the Apple product experience for nearly 2 decades.

I still think they can get the mojo back, and here's a few things that would lead to much more positivity on these forums and many other influential places:

1.) Release an Apple branded 5K Thunderbolt 3 Display
    2.) Either release new desktop Macs or at least explain why the Mac Pro and Mac mini have been allowed to languish for years (and still be sold at full price)
    3.) Keep Macs updated yearly with the latest chips and graphics so people feel confident buying one
    4.) Stop forcing the iPad down people's throats - It is, and always has been a nice-to-have product in between an iPhone and a Mac and should be treated as such

5. snazzybunny macrumors newbie

If I have a Dell 4K UP3216Q already, would it be a bad idea to sell it and get the LG? I just got the new tMBP 15". Thanks.

6. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

I hear ya'... Are you using a calibrator?

7. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I have an older Spyder 3. Didn't notice much improvement so I reverted to stock which was calibrated well. I'll probably buy a new calibrator when I get a new external display. My current IPS is 9 years old 1920x1200 polarized. Was great for a long time but color shifted yellow beyond fixing for any sort of color critical work. I had been waiting for a new Thunderbolt Display for a while. Haven't noticed much shift over the years on the rMBP, and I've got my printer profiles in rather close alignment. I usually only need to do a 4x6" test print checked under my daylight bulb before going to 13x19" as I only have to slightly tweak magenta down and exposure up since my inks dry down like most.

8. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

They don't want to make Apple branded Displays/Printers/routers/etc. because they aren't things that you rebuy every year or 2 or 3 or 5 even and they still have to have support/returns/parts/inventory/repairs/r&d. I can see them going to just the laptops and iMac lines in the future.

Anyway for the LG 5k monitor what are the webcam and speaker specs? I might get one before price increase for a 2nd monitor. I think it looks good now that I've seen them in Apple Stores.

9. lg_5k_sucks macrumors newbie

I don't think so. Mine was manufactured Jan 17th. I am sending in for service, or a replacement.

10. bennysoultrain1 macrumors newbie

I was having issues with my monitor flicking off and on. I sent it back to LG and got it back yesterday. Inside the box was was a service document so the monitor was tested and no issues were found. Got a call this morning from LG saying that they didn't apply the shielding as they should have and now they want me to send it back to them again to do it. Lost it for a week the first time and I guess I'll be losing it another week. Probably should just get my money back on it.

11. Dpdpd macrumors newbie

Mine sure does. And so did the first unit it replaced (took over a month to get the replacement unit sent to apple store). Also, both have made odd fizzling noises when unplugging the proprietary USB-C cable from my 12" 2016 MacBook. Returning to the Apple store. Really annoying as I like the size better than I expected and the screen looks great when it isn't flickering.