Apple Delays Sales of UltraFine 5K Display as LG Works on Shielding Fix

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2017.

1. cpfoto2005 macrumors member

Motorola ROKR E1

2. Keirasplace macrumors 601

right... Don't know what your talking about hey.... With your Jobs Cult.

3. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

Could not have said any better. I would buy two 5K Apple displays in a heartbeat. I know it is a pipe dream but would be awesome the matte displays to come back like the ACDs. The TB displays just have too much glare if you work on a bright environment.

4. Magic Toolbar Mike macrumors newbie

5. smoledman macrumors 68000

Guys, this is simply a stop-gap until they unveil the new Thunderbolt Display in April along with the new Macs.

6. joy.757 macrumors regular

7. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Just for the record, I bought 2 of these bad boys last week and they are working perfectly, 0 issues. Although my router is more than 6ft away from my setup.

8. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Unfortunately if you want a good display you probably need to buy a Samsung.

I can't wait until the future when I can 3D print a high quality aluminum and glass enclosure to fit components perfectly. I'm not sure why Apple doesn't want to take our money. I guess they weren't making any money on those $1000 displays. Poor Apple…

9. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

I'm willing to bet that the engineering team wanted to shield it, but a VP or "Design Genius" (with no electrical/electronic engineering degree) wanted to cut costs. COUGH corner-cutters! :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    Yeppers. And if you want a great display, you'll have to buy an Eizo or an NEC.

10. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

LG has shipping OLED displays that destroy the competition. Apple's problem is they did not choose LG's OLED displays. A 30 or 35 inch OLED monitor with built in HD webcam, speakers and USB c would have been amazing. THAT is the display that Apple and LG should have co-released.

11. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

My mid-2012 rMBP had an LG panel. It was awful with terrible image retention issues. Apple swapped the display for a Samsung panel, and it's still one of the most beautiful displays I've ever used.

I'm not sure if I'd buy an Eizo or NEC even if I had the money to blow. I do photo editing and graphic/web design but those seem like overkill even for that. Maybe if I was color grading Hollywood productions, lol.

12. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

really sucks for people who have to package up their existing displays and send em back

13. cardfan macrumors 68000

14. Larry The L Suspended

Why? What is the basis for your assertion? You can't just make a statement like without any kind of explanation, rationale, etc and expect to have any credibility. Come on, man. You must have a reason for making such a statement. Or do you...?
    Not al all true.

15. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Corrected your statement... :D

16. marty11 macrumors 6502

How much you want to bet Apple is not only out of the monitor game, but out of the monitor endorsement game as well.

I'd be interested in one of these at $450-500 now. No chance I'd spend 1k. It sucks but if they all have this design flaw what other flaws are there?

17. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

Apple really needs to sell a dedicated display. Part of the Apple experience™ is buying it all first-party so support is easier.

18. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Not that I really need to explain simple logic here but the more Apple outsources its products and makes less and less of them in-house, then the less quality control they have and the more opportunity for things like this occur.

19. Maigrais macrumors member

Maigrais

No it is causing flickering when NEAR a wireless router. Because of bad shielding.
    HP also makes a 5K display in 27inch size. But it lacks DCI P3 color support. Oh and it's not plug & play by any means.

20. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

Anyone notice the webcam isn't even centred in the top bezel?

Not much thought put into this design compared with Apple's usual standards, which I think (rightfully) irks a lot of Apple users.

That and I hate the LG logo sticking out on the bottom bezel.

21. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Saw one in the office. I'll pass for the price.

For people who have them, I hope LG resolve the issue asap, and people have an option to exchange or fix them in an Apple Store.

I'd have like to think apple also would have done extensive testing on this. If you are not going to build your own and have a partner product, test the damn thing. Not that it would take long for an engineer to spot the obvious here ...

22. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

I see what you did there.

23. scartart macrumors newbie

The tests make sure the device doesn't emit RF radiation above a certain limit. It doesn't care about how well it copes with external RF radiation.

24. scott_donald macrumors regular

in all honesty I have 2 that are working fine that I got on the January 10th...

I still have no idea how I get mine retrofitted??? take to Apple Store, take everything, take just the monitors... very annoying since they are not cheap...

25. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I hope you can drop them off to an apple store. Even shipping back and forth is so time consumeing , they could always ship you parts to install, evga did that for 1070/1080.