Apple Delays Sales of UltraFine 5K Display as LG Works on Shielding Fix

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2017.

1. jozero macrumors 6502

Yes, and it was awesome for a monitor in the 2000s.

Its now 2017, these were just released.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It could be less turn around time then that. It's a minor fix. But the large quantity would be the real challenge for the turn around.

3. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

Besides being the absolute cheapest, garbage design it's also internally a POS. Don't purchase this plastic hunk of crap.

4. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Good point, but I think Apple has such dislike toward anything without a planned obsolescence that they just don't want to touch displays. If they did, then people would start asking for other things, like new computers to go along with them. Nobody needs that headache. :D

5. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors 6502

iKnowMr.Jobs

I really believe that getting out of the display businesss was probably for the worse. I know it's a very low-volume business for them but at the same time, they were selling a 1080p monitor for $1000 when you could buy a 1440p or even a 4K of good quality for considerably less. No wonder the sat and collected dust at that point.

Apple isn't perfect, they've had their fair share of "oops" moments, but I don't think anyone of them even approach the ridiculousness of the LG display fiasco. And if one was, they certainly were quicker with rectifying the issue.

6. Max Portakabin Suspended

Printers aren't part of the user interface.

7. nocturnum macrumors regular

nocturnum

The monitor for 1000$ was 1440p.

8. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Apple should have never stopped making the Cinema Display. Quality control goes right out the window. How hard can it be? Just release a 5k IMac without the computer. They are halfway there. I really don't understand why Apple handed over such a huge component to home computing to an outside company. The LG display doesn't even look like an Apple product. I don't know about y'all, but I want my Apple MacBook Pro to aesthetically match my external display. It's just so un-Apple like to mix & match like this. Boo!

9. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Don't devices like this have to pass some sort of FCC tests for radio interference before they can be sold in the US?

If so, how did this get past testing and certification?

10. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

Designed in California built in China?

11. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

You make an interesting point. But the reality is that low-volume business for Apple still means 100's of millions or more in business. It would certainly generated sufficient revenue to justify having the staff dedicated to it.

Plus, if Apple was still Apple they would care more about the user experience. The Apple of yesterday would say "we have engineered this new display to give users the ability to experience the new Mac Pro the way it was intended." Today it seems like they are more interested in selling us watch bands and dongles. Lots of dongles.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    Excellent question!

12. prowlmedia Suspended

Whoa there trigger - first time I've ever mentioned that!... and I am exactly the market for this sort of thing as a VFX / animator. In fact I recently bought 2 of these...
    http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/BDM3275UP_00/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-display-with-multiview
    for less that the price of one of the LGs... yeah I know that has 1 whole K more but cost / use * need and all that..

Point is with the LGs they are incredibly chunky and when you can 2 together the middle is basically a 5cm black line and do they really need to be? My 4K LG OLED TV has 5mm bezels.
    Well in all fairness they only promoted this as a 5K monitor you COULD buy as it has the right connectors... it's not like they "put the wellbeing of his company in the hands of a third party."
    They were... 10 years ago when they were released...

13. now i see it macrumors 68040

If that's not a reminder of the potential health hazards of the radiation eminating out of a router sitting on your desk one foot away from you, I don't know what is.

14. Macaholic868 macrumors 6502

Macaholic868

Why did Apple get out of the display business anyway? Even if it wasn't as profitable as other parts of the business they are involved in the display game with their laptops and iMac's so why not continue to make stand alone models? They could have avoided the embarrassment of all of this. I didn't get the decision to end the airport line either. If people want to pay the Mac tax on displays and wireless routers then let them.

15. fhopper macrumors regular

fhopper

I can hardly wait for the replacement Airport Extreme they endorse. I miss my old Apple Computer Corporation.

16. MaulRx Suspended

Or the prince game for that matter.

17. fhopper macrumors regular

fhopper

As a household of multiple computers/devices it would never occur to me to put my router next to a user instead of the optimal coverage location. I guess lonely guys have more to worry about than I realized.

18. MNJohn macrumors regular

From someone who has used the display, it sucks if you can't use it within six feet of a router.

19. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

ocnitsa

Do you like the bezels?

20. macTW Suspended

How close is "too close" to the router? Is the interference gradual with distance, or is it an all-or-nothing?

Someone should run experiments!

21. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Yep, marketing said "do it!" and the employees did it, for better or worse. It seems to me that Cook loves the thought of Apple making excellent products, but doesn't know enough about high-tech products to lead the team to actually achieve excellent products. Thats why he was a great supply chain guy. Now even that is failing Apple.

22. ImaxGuy, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

ImaxGuy macrumors regular

ImaxGuy

Yep. Is QA no longer an effing nothing?

Somewhat disgruntled 2016 tbMBP and LG 5K owner.

23. macTW Suspended

Nobody really does, but some of us understand the need - many who whine about bezels would also whine when something hits the edge of their display/phone/ipad and the entire display shatters.
    Yes, because the CEO is the guy soldering motherboards and designing the dimensions and components of every product....

smh some people don't understand business or technology.

24. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

After returning my 5k iMac I intended on buying a 4K LG to use with my Pro but I think I'll be holding off for awhile.

25. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

Come on Apple, get to your senses and make your own displays again. It will sell well. Don't stop focusing on the Mac and peripherals. Airport back will be welcome too.