MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 21.5-inch iMac in both its non-4K and 4K offerings is experiencing dwindling availability at Apple Stores across the United States, with shipping dates for online orders of the non-4K model slipping by at least a week.

0D21F187-DEFA-4B7A-AEA9-68CD9AF580F4.jpeg

A vast majority of Apple Stores are listing the standard 21.5-inch iMac as unavailable for pickup. The higher-end configuration with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of Fusion Drive storage is currently unavailable for pickup entirely, but is available for delivery. Regardless of configuration, Apple lists at least five to seven business days for shipping estimates.

The higher-end 21.5-inch iMac with a 4K display is also experiencing a lack of availability at a few stores nationwide; however, it largely remains in stock. The larger 27-inch iMac remains available as normal.

Last month Apple discontinued two configurations of the standard 21.5-inch iMac, possibly making way for new stock. Apple is rumored to be working on an all-new iMac design with a faster Apple silicon chip, but a specific release timeframe is unknown.

Next week on Tuesday, April 20, Apple will hold its "Spring Loaded" event where new iPad Pros are expected to be announced. However, whether or not the redesigned iMacs will make a debut at the event remains to be seen.

Article Link: 21.5-Inch iMac Availability Dwindling at Apple Stores

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TakeshimaIslands

sublunar

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2007
Availability of the base on retina model is slipping into May in the UK store, the upper 2 SKUs are available for delivery on Tuesday in the UK. Seems to be the same in the US store. Perhaps Apple would use one of these upper 2 SKUs as a budget holdover model?

Orange Bat

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2021
The iMac and an Apple TV are the only 2 things I’m hoping for. I’m eager to replace my sub-par Fire TV Cube as I sorely miss my older Apple TV. I’ll wait and see what the new iMacs have to offer before I purchase one. Otherwise, I can probably do just fine with a Mac Mini.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I hope this doesn't mean that the smaller iMac will get the M1 and only the larger one will get the faster Pro chip
Low end M1 in the current chassis @$1,099 (with retina) and redesigned model with M1X replaces current two 4K options @$1,299 and $1,499? That kind of reflects how the current lineup 'really' starts at $1,299 as few want a non-retina model with a HDD.

sublunar

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2007
I hope this doesn't mean that the smaller iMac will get the M1 and only the larger one will get the faster Pro chip
I'm sure the M1 CPU/GPU combo could drive a 24" 4.6K display. Apple could easily leave the Intel 27" till October when they release their larger screen model with a suitable M1X CPU and powerful enough GPU to put the pixels. This is why I think the 27" ARM successor is going to be labelled an iMac Pro.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
or could it be that the semiconductor supply chain shortage is impacting Apple?
It could be, they might be getting ready to just discontinue the non retina model, and be struggling for parts for the 4K. The iMac redesign has been rumoured for quite a while now though so it wouldn’t be that surprising if they pushed it out soon, provided they’ve been able to build up some stock.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Realityck

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It could be, they might be getting ready to just discontinue the non retina model, and be struggling for parts for the 4K. The iMac redesign has been rumoured for quite a while now though so it wouldn’t be that surprising if they pushed it out soon, provided they’ve been able to build up some stock.
That might be an accurate assessment. :)
What a nice gift it will be if they are able to provide a smaller retina iMac 5K if they can do that for similar prices as the non retina 4K models.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
I seriously doubt that Apple will put the M1 into another model.
When the M2 (or whatever it might be called) is ready, it will get a big announcement.
I do not believe that will be part of this coming Tuesdays event.

But, we are all speculating and we could all be wrong, or right for that matter ;);)
Let's see what Tuesday will bring

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.