Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is reportedly working on a new entry-level smartphone model similar to the iPhone SE that will support wireless charging and be released in time for summer 2018.

The prediction comes from Digitimes Research analyst Luke Lin, who believes that Apple's iPhone SE successor will have a glass back similar to the iPhone 8 series and iPhone X, but will lack the 3D sensing capabilities of the latter model.
iPhone-SE-four-colors.jpg

For the entry-level sector, Apple is preparing a new inexpensive smartphone similar to the iPhone SE for 2018, featuring the wireless charging functionality, but not 3D sensing. The smartphone will begin mass production in the second quarter with the official launch in May or June, Lin noted.
Taiwan-based website DigiTimes has a mixed track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans. Its sources within the upstream supply chain have proven reliable in the past, but predictions from its research analysts are harder to gauge.

Lin doesn't specifically mention the size of the new entry-level model, but the details match up with previous rumors about a forthcoming four-inch 'iPhone SE 2' with a glass back, although earlier speculation said the device would ship in the first quarter of 2018, rather than the second quarter.

Rumors about a the specifications of Apple's next small form factor smartphone appeared in August last year, when Indian tech website Tekz24 claimed Apple's next iPhone SE model would have an A10 Fusion chip, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB and 128GB storage capacities, and a slightly larger 1,700 mAh battery.

In November, China's Economic Daily News claimed Apple's second-generation iPhone SE was set for the first half of 2018 and would be assembled by Wistron at its factory in Bengaluru, India, where some assembly of the current iPhone SE occurs. Taiwanese market research firm TrendForce also recently predicted that Apple is planning to launch a second-generation iPhone SE in 2018 to target the mid-range smartphone market.

Apple hasn't properly refreshed the iPhone SE since it launched back in March 2016, but it did double the available storage capacities to 64GB and 128GB in March 2017. Apple has confirmed an AirPower wireless charging mat will be released sometime this year for Apple Watch and iPhone models with a wireless charging feature.

Article Link: 'iPhone SE 2' With Wireless Charging Said to Launch in May or June

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
The original SE reused old iPhone 5/5s cases and displays (hence, no 3D touch) to save cost. If this is a new product (i.e. not based on an old shell) then either the cost will go up or some features will be cut/skimped on. Knowing Apple it could be both!

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
An a10-chip that‘ll already be 1 1/2 generations behind would certainly be a dissapointment. It’d also be an admission that they don’t care as much about AR and machine learning as they want us to believe.

Hopefully it will also be water-resistant and have a 2nd gen touchID. I don‘t care much about wireless charging - that‘ll only make the device heavier.

no a11 and no water resistance and i‘ll probably just keep my 5s.

Last edited:

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
If we are going the route of "classic" devices which retain the home button for a few years and X devices which are FaceID only then it really does make sense for Apple to create a more premium version of the SE as well (bring everything that will fit, so the camera module will be more basic).

I do feel bad for anyone who prefers the form factor for one handed use but gets gimped on specs and delays to refreshes. Heck, create a classic version too that uses the A10. Satisfy both markets properly if we are going to two tiers of devices and then sack off the legacy stuff before the 8.

The split between iOS devices which have 3D Touch and those that don't is ridiculous at the moment. Get it on everything so experiences can be consistent with each other or just sack it off. It absolutely shouldn't be an experience only for certain phones. iPad is crying out for it.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If Apple are holding a spring event i would of thought around March-April time for the next SE, if however they are not holding an early event this year (like they didn't last year) then it may be another product packed WWDC, iPhone SE, 13" MacBook and the new iPad Pro with Face ID.

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Digitimes :rolleyes:, wake up up when Ming-Chi Kuo says it.

I want an iPhone SE X!!
View attachment 748597

And how are they gonna fit everything in an even smaller SE? They can barely fit everything in this SE. And even if you're using same dimensions then the notch wouldn't be a notch but just a top border because you can't place the FaceID sensors any closer than that they are now.

Reactions: Breaking Good

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
If it's exactly the same form factor but they add TouchID 2, better cameras, upgraded CPU/GPU and the back is glass for wireless charging (if they must) I'd be perfectly happy.

If they 'notch it up' and curve the edges I'll be sad.

Agree totally.

I fear not the "notch" as it will remain TouchID-based -- maybe TouchID Mark II.

Off your list, the only thing I would say: "a better camera as long as there is no bump added"

And, I do not mind that it is made up of not-so-new bin parts.

Such an SE Mark II would be more than good enough (retailing at less than half the price of the X when cash-and-carry).

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I would pay up to 2500$ for the new iPhone SE X.
Apple should stop making insanely huge phablets and concentrate on normal sizes like 3,5-4 inch!
3D Touch would be nice, but is not a must have for me.

Not going to happen when the iPhone Plus is popular they would be ignoring a big market. The SE is for people who still want the 4" form factor they don't need to just stick to that.

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Sounds good to me. :)
I’m torn about the notch, but it’s not a deal breaker, I’ll take either approach. Eliminating moisture-entry ports is great, please continue. Wireless charging helps with that effort.
[doublepost=1516969949][/doublepost]I do not want or need a large phone...I have an iPad mini. Small phone, small pad, perfect for me. Lower price, too, is cool. Keep these great smaller devices, Apple, please. I will buy them.

Reactions: StoneyG

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
If we are going the route of "classic" devices which retain the home button for a few years and X devices which are FaceID only then it really does make sense for Apple to create a more premium version of the SE as well (bring everything that will fit, so the camera module will be more basic).

I do feel bad for anyone who prefers the form factor for one handed use but gets gimped on specs and delays to refreshes. Heck, create a classic version too that uses the A10. Satisfy both markets properly if we are going to two tiers of devices and then sack off the legacy stuff before the 8.

The split between iOS devices which have 3D Touch and those that don't is ridiculous at the moment. Get it on everything so experiences can be consistent with each other or just sack it off. It absolutely shouldn't be an experience only for certain phones. iPad is crying out for it.
———
I am a premium consumer in general for Apple products. For example I bought all three Apple watches as they’ve appeared on the market. However the number one factor for cellular phone is size. Ever since the iPhone 6 these phones have often too large to use in one hand. I would pay a premium price for something the size of the SE. for some reason phone consumers won’t pay a lot of money unless it’s a big physical brick. Why can’t Apple make something small and beautiful again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.