Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
There’s no evidence that most people buy the SE because of size and not price.
There is also no evidence that most people buy the SE because of price and not size. Except that most of the reasons I have read for buying the SE here on MR, had to do with size and not price, me included.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
There is also no evidence that most people buy the SE because of price and not size. Except that most of the reasons I have read for buying the SE here on MR, had to do with size and not price, me included.
There actually is evidence price is a big factor.

The SE got a price cut from $399 to $349 last September. That’s a major hit to Apple’s profit margin.

That significant price cut wasn’t because the SE was selling well to price-insensitive customers wanting a 4” phone. Apple was willing to give up $50 of pure profit on every unit sold in order to sell more to those to whom $50 really matters—those buying on price.

If price wasn’t a big reason customers are buying the SE, Apple could have left the price alone—and collected an extra $50 off those who would have gladly paid it to get a 4” iPhone.

Sure, some customers who buy SE do so because they want a 4” phone. But how many SE buyers would pay $649 for an iPhone 8 “minus”, or $849 for an iPhone X “minus”?

If there were sufficient demand at those price points, Apple would be glad to make a premium smaller phone. But there isn’t, so unfortunately price-insensitive customers who buy the SE only because it’s small will have to be satisfied with the features Apple can fit into the BOM of a phone that needs to be priced at $349 (or even less).

Though there probably are a few million of you who would gladly pay more to get a premium 4” phone, there simply aren’t enough of you. I sympathize with the fact your needs aren’t being met, but can’t see how the economics pencil out for a small, premium phone.

Last edited:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
There actually is evidence price is a big factor.

The SE got a price cut from $399 to $349 last September. That’s a major hit to Apple’s profit margin.

That significant price cut wasn’t because the SE was selling well to price-insensitive customers wanting a 4” phone. Apple was willing to give up $50 of pure profit on every unit sold in order to sell more to those to whom $50 really matters—those buying on price.

If price wasn’t a big reason customers are buying the SE, Apple could have left the price alone—and collected an extra $50 off those who would have gladly paid it to get a 4” iPhone.

Sure, some customers who buy SE do so because they want a 4” phone. But how many SE buyers would pay $649 for an iPhone 8 “minus”, or $849 for an iPhone X “minus”?

If there were sufficient demand at those price points, Apple would be glad to make a premium smaller phone. But there isn’t, so unfortunately price-insensitive customers who buy the SE only because it’s small will have to be satisfied with the features Apple can fit into the BOM of a phone that needs to be priced at $349 (or even less).

Though there probably are a few million of you who would gladly pay more to get a premium 4” phone, there simply aren’t enough of you. I sympathize with the fact your needs aren’t being met, but can’t see how the economics pencil out for a small, premium phone.

It's only a hit to their margin if you actually know what their margins are. The BOM is not the only thing involved in this margin. Once R&D costs for developing the chassis and tech have been absorbed on previous higher end devices, Apple's actual margins for older device. So, I'm pretty sure SE gives them pretty good margins.

I do agree with you that the latest tech won't get into a smaller phone, there is simply not a big enough market considering they would have to do extra R&D to fit the tech of the bigger devices in a smaller form factor (that's why it is not done).

It's not the actual part cost that's at issue, but the engineering to make these parts work well in a smaller space.

If you put a high dpi chip and a A11 in there, you'd get a huge peak power draw in a tiny phone.

The battery would be smaller and the thermal space in this thing would be very small. This means throttling and batteries that are used up quickly each day and because of the heat buildup, batteries that don't last long.

bmot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
Nice.....but.... you know Apple can't make it like that, the notch is too wide to fit on the SE AND show the status bar.

The notch would be more narrow because the phone wouldn’t have the Face ID sensors.
[doublepost=1517212826][/doublepost]
———
I am a premium consumer in general for Apple products. For example I bought all three Apple watches as they’ve appeared on the market. However the number one factor for cellular phone is size. Ever since the iPhone 6 these phones have often too large to use in one hand. I would pay a premium price for something the size of the SE. for some reason phone consumers won’t pay a lot of money unless it’s a big physical brick. Why can’t Apple make something small and beautiful again?
Because this is Tim’s Apple.
[doublepost=1517214438][/doublepost]
If they made an SE version* that was akin to going from the iPhone 8 to the X – only ~4% larger in length and width, yet jumping to 426 ppi versus 326 ppi – then you could have a compact device with roughly 1600 x 900 pixels, measuring approximately 5.07" x 2.40 x 0.30". This would put the resolution about midway between the 8 and 8 Plus. I would buy such a device in a heartbeat.

*With the A11 of course.
And that’s exactly what they should do.
But sadly I don’t think they will anymore.
Apple has changed. The word greed is floating over them. That’s visible especially if looking at the SE and the lack of up to date iPhones in this size.

Last edited:
Reactions: StoneyG

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Absolutely wrong; MOST people buy SE for the size not price. X has nothing special it was annoyingly slippery and becomes greasy immediately as soon as you touch it; then constant finger swinging and ugly notch from top and off course it is almost like a brick super annoying to have in pocket

No. The SE is bought for it's price and it's especially targeted for developing markets, hence many units are assembled in Bangladesh and India. If you prefer it for it's size over the X, rest assured that you are indeed, fortunate.

There is a great amount of people which cannot even afford a 7 or 8 model due to their high price overseas, hence Apple putting so much accent in it's budget friendly device. Basic economy.
[doublepost=1517214911][/doublepost]
Because this is Tim’s Apple.

Because it's a highly competitive market. I wonder why none of the other smartphone manufacturers don't develop a similar spec'd 4" device.

My above comments explain this briefly.
[doublepost=1517215109][/doublepost]

There's a lot of evidence regarding this aspect, just do some little research outside MR and you'll find out pretty quick.

bmot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
Because it's a highly competitive market. I wonder why none of the other smartphone manufacturers don't develop a similar spec'd 4" device.

My above comments explain this briefly.
See my reply above to StoneyG

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
See my reply above to StoneyG

Saw it firsthand and I don't think that it would be possible to develop an SE taking account those specs whilst maintaining it's current price.

Sure, it may be cheap and underpowered in the US and other developed countries, but in other parts of the world where prices are greatly inflated due to different carriers and retailers, people will still go for a current gen. SE (as it happened with the 5s before the SE was launched).

It's an entry-level iOS device, consider it an iPod Touch with cellular capabilities.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
SE is bought for the size as well as the price. I just think the size is the primary driver as I posted earlier. Others think price is the primary driver. If you only included USA sales, I think size is the primary reason.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
A glass back? How horrid! Wireless recharging? Who cares! I want to see Apple make a phone that isn't for latte-sipping, city-bred sissies who giggle over their color options.

Why not create a SE-sized phone that meets Milspec ratings for ruggedness? I grow tired of having to put a case on them.

When did Apple ever make anything milspec? That's not their thing. They love smooth designs, I'm sure Jony Ive would be horrified with what Samsung's doing with their "Sx Active" series :D

But for the more active people there's always otterbox!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.