Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is likely to launch at least one new iPhone model with a triple-lens rear camera in the second half of next year, according to the Taipei Times, citing a research note from Yuanta Securities analyst Jeff Pu.

iphone-x-triple-lens-martin-hajek-idropnews-800x652.jpg
A triple-lens iPhone X mockup by Martin Hajek via iDrop News

The report does not provide any additional details, but a Chinese report from the Economic Daily News last month suggested the camera system will have a 6P lens design with up to 5x zoom and at least one 12-megapixel lens.

The addition of a third lens would likely enable 3x optical zoom on an iPhone for the first time, enabling users to magnify the image in the viewfinder by up to 3x without a blurry reduction in quality like digital zoom. iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models feature 2x optical zoom for comparison.

A triple-lens rear camera would likely be a feature reserved for Apple's highest-end iPhones, so if accurate, this rumor probably applies to a third-generation iPhone X and/or iPhone X Plus launching around September 2019.

huawei-p20-pro-800x354.jpg
Huawei P20 Pro

Huawei's new P20 Pro smartphone is the first with a triple-lens rear camera system, including a 40-megapixel lens, a 20-megapixel monochrome lens, and an 8-megapixel telephoto lens with 3x optical zoom. The Verge's Vlad Savov said he prefers the P20 Pro's camera over those on the iPhone X and Galaxy S9.

For anyone hoping this might be a 2018 move instead, former KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously ruled out any significant changes occurring to the iPhone X's current dual-lens rear camera system this year.

Article Link: iPhone With Triple-Lens Rear Camera Will 'Likely' Launch Next Year Says Analyst

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
What they need to do is make a camera that takes decent low light photos. The X is a total disappointment in this area. I wish I had gotten an 8 Plus. So many ruined photos since I’ve had the X.

Reactions: Future-Proof
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.