iPhone With Triple-Lens Rear Camera Will 'Likely' Launch Next Year Says Analyst

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 7, 2018.

1. kerplunknet macrumors 6502

How about working on one camera lense that doesn’t protrude and no notch?

2. EfratBarTal macrumors member

EfratBarTal

3. heov macrumors regular

4. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Apple should go with one big len instead of three small lens. It might be smarter in terms of looks and better optical zoom!

5. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Seeing as the size of the image sensor is directly related to the size of the enclosure, and size of the lens system.. where do you propose they fit a 1" sensor in the body of a 7mm thick iPhone ?

I mean, it would basically be impossible without probably doubling the thickness of the iphone and having a very large protruding lens system. Not to mention the cost of putting a 1" sensor in a phone, the optics to go with it, and the power drain. If you don't like a $999, you would have to get used to a $1499 iPhone.

More smaller sensors is really the only viable route, which is why all manufacturers are heading that way. Even the latest and best smartphone camera modules are only about $15 per unit at large volumes, so it is not cost prohibitive to add two, three, four etc of them. And while it may look a bit ugly, I think people would get used to it and the benefits worth it to anyone with even a passing interest in photography. Ultimately, 5 would probably be about the sweet spot: a 35mm, 70mm and 140mm FF equivalent, and then a wide 23mm and a macro lens. Five in total, that would be a great range that would cover most of everything other than extreme edge cases. You could also use the 5 sensors to get a better average of the scenes lighting, colour balance etc.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

This is starting to remind me of how Schick and Gillette use to add blades to razors every few years from single to dual to triple. We are at 5 blades now? I suppose if this is how it has to be done to increase optical zoom, this is how it has to be done. But at some point technology will have to be developed to get more optical out of a single lens or the back of phones will be nothing but lenes and every other picture on Instagram will feature a portion of someone's finger.

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

If we are going to have 3 lenses, at least put something the other side to balance it out and allow the phone to sit properly on a flat surface. There has been a proliferation of sensors, so maybe time for more on the back?

8. palmerc macrumors 6502

palmerc

Sounds like The Onion's razor. 5-F***ing Blades

9. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Apple has to up their game... go to 4 lenses next year or ride on the back of the big bus with the slow stoners.

10. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Rumors about unreleased iPhone? Uh oh. It’s time for other manufacturers to release their triple lenses. That will one up Apple and release four! Apple is never first, but all eyes are usually on the iPhone.

11. dan9700, May 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2018

dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

This is getting out of hand

Rumours are starting to get stupid now and just annoy me

12. Xavier macrumors 68030

13. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

macrumors: "OMG when will Apple do something innovative!?!"

:Apple gets RUMORED to be doing something that could be mildly innovative:

also macrumors: "NOT LIKE THAT"
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2018 ---
    Apple is laughing at Google's phone sales.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do you know what it could use? A second screen notch.

15. Cascas0915 macrumors newbie

Cascas0915

Have to learn to think ahead people. Its likely for a infra red camera on the front with a dot projector as well. The implications of the Face Id technology are awesome. 3 dimensional pictures are already very easily attained with this tech. We just don't get to see it as its stored in the enclave for security. This could be to have pictures that are not only live but easily rotated to some degree from all sides.

It can also be used to render a 3D image of a room , take concise measurements, all this is already out there in a few start ups and some specific industry products for sale now In fact you can buy one for the ipad now as a small attachment.
    Its a small matter of making it all fit and a bigger matter of making sure the computing power is built in.

So yeah , I don't see android or google catching up on this anytime soon.

16. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Cue the "buy the 3 lense or wait until the 5 lense?" Threads!!

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Thanks, came here looking for someone to do this :D

18. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

No thank you, unless they can manage to do it without significantly increasing the weight.

19. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Then you probably shouldn't be on macRUMORS.com.

20. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Let's see when they beat the number of emojis....

21. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Trypophobia triggered (and I don’t even have it xD)

22. zubikov macrumors member

It's not the # of lenses, it's how you use them! Here's how I would use them:

1. Smooth, simulated optical zoom interpolating between images at different focal points in multiple lenses
    2. Getting 12mm, 36mm, 72mm equivalents in each lens would give super wide abilities in addition to a 6x zoom
    3. Keep fine tuning the depth of field simulated effects. With 3 lenses you can have a smooth zoom between two lenses, and have one blue the background
    4. Video effects. Using three different lenses could result in really creative out of the box video effects.
    5. Noise reduction. Compounding low light noisy images has been the most common and basic noise reduction solution.

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

How about having 4 lenses at each corner so that the phone lays flat on the table?

24. oyabroch! Suspended

Oh please,

Let's not make a mockery of Apple by involving *anything* Huawei makes, in this ethereal, wishful thinking daydream. Huawei make phones that people like to imagine are "as good as an iPhone", except Apple don't stamp "Leica" all over their phones when Leica was barely even involved with the design of the hardware.

Huawei make the following class of phone: Appalling, mediocre, good enough.

Apple make the following class of phone: Superb, superb with enhancements, stunning powerhouse with nothing left out.

I own a Huawei "P8 Lite 2017", amongst a whole pile of other phones, since I wanted to give the vendor a fair chance. It's all bluff and lipstick: updates... well, there's BEEN NO updates since I bought last October, the fingerprint sensor AND the power button REGULARLY stop responding to MULTIPLE attempts to unlock the device, requiring a force reboot (this is in a freshly factory reset phone; I test these phones regularly), Huawei is a joke, but a joke that schmucks will swallow as they have magpie syndrome, create this utter delusion in their minds that "Huawei are 'like Apple' " on and on, and are blinded by the reflections off the glossy curves of a copycat form factor.

Huawei MAY BE a giant company, so what? They make truly appalling phones, which they worsen by abandoning any hope of even MINOR updates, yet happily sell to the mugs who falsely imagine they're "like Apple"...

Erm, yeah... no.

25. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161