iPhone With Triple-Lens Rear Camera Will 'Likely' Launch Next Year Says Analyst

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 7, 2018.

1. heov macrumors regular

What does that have to do with camera technology? Are you implying Google's camera is holding back its sales, or simply employing a defense mechanism because I criticized your phone company's alleged triple camera, and you felt the need to attack sales figures?

2. oyabroch! Suspended

That's alright, they're constantly ridiculed themselves, for being the short sighted, over confident bozo company which they are.

3. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Step 1: Make phone with 3 cameras.
    Step 2: Pay rumor guy to tell Apple rumor sites that Apple is planning phone with 3 cameras.
    Step 3: Casually mention that your company already has 3 cameras, say “we did it first.”
    Step 4: Watch the money roll in (they hope)

4. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

How about catching up on autofocus speed, low light performance, stereo instead mono sound recording, image quality, etc. instead?

5. oyabroch! Suspended

Apple were temporarily impressed with Google's figures... then, suddenly, one member of staff pointed out to his colleague that he had been reading the returns & refunds column.

6. Constable Odo macrumors 6502

Constable Odo

How about less lenses and more battery life?

7. diogenis macrumors regular

8. Constable Odo macrumors 6502

Constable Odo

It's gone from which camera had the most megapixels to now which has the most lenses. More silliness to drive up the cost of smartphones.

9. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 65816

TheSkywalker77

Next time, Apple, adding 3 notches to their next lineup of iPhones!

10. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

What does Google have to do with Apple bringing a 3rd camera lens to their phone? You brought up a separate company, I was commenting on the fact that Apple likely does not care what camera tech Google is using because Google's phone is hardly a competitor with the iPhone.

11. bluespark macrumors 68000

Laugh all you want, but this could be a significant step forward. A phone lens can never be anywhere near as good as a professional lens, nor can it be interchangeable without introducing all sorts of headache. Phones also can't have sensors much larger than what they have already. What they can do -- and what Apple has been doing very well -- is to use processing power and multiple lenses to fashion creative solutions to many of the practical problems created by these limitations. A third lens could further increase zoom, or it could be used by the iPhone to greatly improve low-light shooting, create a more realistic and less light-dependent portrait mode, etc.

The possibility is certainly there for this to significantly boost iPhone photography. Let's see how it pans out before we prospectively bash the idea.

(Disclaimer: I'm not in any way suggesting that Apple will achieve DSLR/professional quality. I'm merely suggesting that Apple knows what they are doing when it comes to this sort of thing.)

12. darngooddesign, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018

darngooddesign macrumors G3

The P20 Pro is currently the phone with the best camera image quality; its even better than the Pixel 2. To pretend that the iPhone comes anywhere close to that, esp in low light, is laughable. Apple shoudl be trying to beat that phone in regards to the cameras.

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

More throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks. Of course these so-called analysts will keep doing it because they’re never called out when they’re wrong. There’s zero consequences for anything they throw out there.

14. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Pesky laws of optical physics.

And one man's protruding camera is another man's phone made too thin to cause that.

15. Martius macrumors 6502

Martius

I think this whole "add more lenses" thing is just temporary. Pixel 2 single-camera portrait mode seems to be as good as portrait mode on dual-camera phones (using just a software) and IMO the future is in something like optical zoom using AI. That Samsung 8K TV that is able to upscale low resolution video into 8K using AI is what I think that will also change mobile photography. You take a photo and then you can upscale it using AI & crop it = you'll get telephoto like photograph. I think that dual-lens is the sweet spot – wide lens & standart lens (24mm / 50mm full-frame eq).

Or am I wrong?

16. MacLoveMacHate macrumors regular

MacLoveMacHate

Can we also get a Xenon flash to prevent underlit, yellow, blurry photos of people at night? No? That would interfere with the thinness of the design? Oh well.

17. darngooddesign, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018

darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's what the P20 Pro has done with its three lenses and sensors, esp the monochrome one.

18. dnegrin macrumors newbie

This could be nudging towards an AR play. Three cameras is getting into AR / VR Capability. If you look at Magic Leap or HoloLens, it’s the multiple cameras that remove the need for external sesnsors.

19. drewyboy macrumors 65816

I'm fine with this, but I'm already sighing because you know it'll only be for the iPhoneX+ just like how the dual cam setup is only for the 7+/8+ even though they could fit it in the regular model. It's technically possible but they use it as an up-sell method. That's something I wish they would copy from the Pixel... same camera regardless of screen size.

20. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

With the need to target the less educated bottom of the pyramid (so far more compelling to Tim) we are far from sensible innovation with glass backsides, notches, batt-unfriendly anorexia.
    So expect Apple to add a third camera by the time that others have a quintuplets and then claim that triple cam tech has just “matured” the very minute they ship it...

21. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

Your opinion is super biased, nothing else to add

22. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Sales mean nothing unless you have a favorable position in that company, or you have a large amount of money invested in stocks, etc.

As a consumer, I could give a flying f**k what the sales are like. If it's a better phone, It's a better phone. I have never purchased a device based on someone else's opinion. I don't understand the people who shift goal posts to sales, whenever someone brings up a point.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Great games last night.
    Now with the Bruins are out, I am hoping LV goes to the finals

24. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Exactly! I don't understand the rampant deflection to sales figures whenever someone gets hurt on valid points. It's quite embarrassing to say the least.

25. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

But how would the average consumer know what to use? The zoom lens makes sense to everyone but most people don’t know how to use a DSLR.