Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple introduced refreshed MacBook Pro models back in July, the company also debuted new Leather Sleeves that are designed to fit 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models.

In our latest YouTube video, we went hands-on with one of the new Leather Sleeves to see whether or not they're worth the $179 to $199 price tag.

Available in Midnight Blue, Saddle Brown, and Black, the Leather Sleeves are similar to the previously available Leather Sleeves for the 12-inch MacBook lineup. The colors match some of the colors of Apple's Leather iPhone case options.

Apple's Leather Sleeves are simple and no-frills, made from a high-quality European leather with careful stitching around the outer edges and an Apple logo front and center. Inside, there's a soft microfiber lining.

Four circles at the bottom of the sleeve match the feet of the MacBook Pro, so this is a sleeve that's only going to work with the 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models from 2016 and on.

When not in use, the Sleeve can be used as a little mat for your MacBook Pro, protecting it from the surface beneath. Unfortunately, there's no access to the USB-C port when the MacBook Pro is in the Sleeve, so it can't be used while charging.

All in all, the Leather Sleeve is going to offer up protection from scratches and bumps, but there's no drop protection here. Most people may want to go with a cheaper option, but at the $179 to $199 price point, Apple hasn't skimped on quality.

What do you think of Apple's Leather Sleeves for the MacBook Pro? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New Leather Sleeve for the 15-Inch MacBook Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: MrUNIMOG

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Here's the case for your dongles

f9Ihksq.jpg

/s

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I bought one with my 2018 MacBook Pro. It is definitely quality, but I wish the stitching was internal. Carrying the MacBook Pro around in this from the bottom gets uncomfortable after a short while as the weight of the laptop and the sharp edge stitching digs into your fingers while holding it.

Crow KC

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2017
Orem, Utah
Haven't found any other cases as high of quality, you say?

Kasper Maison Envelope Sleeve. Very high-quality Italian leather/stitching, foldover flap with magnetic closure that holds the laptop in better, allows for charging the laptop while in the sleeve, allows for comfortable carrying with no sharp edge by holding the foldover side down, and is just overall great. Been using mine for almost a year and a half regularly and it still looks fantastic. $140.

Much as I like Apple, this is indeed too overpriced. But then, I think their iPhone cases are too. The leather wallet case I use for mine does cost more than the Apple cases, but it is more than twice as much material and is superior to any case product sold in the Apple Store. Nearly two years of hard use and it's still looking great. It's a Bonaventura Folio. I paid $160; looks like current pricing is less.

Both can be found on Amazon.

Last edited:

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013

When Apple introduced refreshed MacBook Pro models back in July, the company also debuted new Leather Sleeves that are designed to fit 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models.

In our latest YouTube video, we went hands-on with one of the new Leather Sleeves to see whether or not they're worth the $179 to $199 price tag.

Available in Midnight Blue, Saddle Brown, and Black, the Leather Sleeves are similar to the previously available Leather Sleeves for the 12-inch MacBook lineup. The colors match some of the colors of Apple's Leather iPhone case options.

Apple's Leather Sleeves are simple and no-frills, made from a high-quality European leather with careful stitching around the outer edges and an Apple logo front and center. Inside, there's a soft microfiber lining.

Four circles at the bottom of the sleeve match the feet of the MacBook Pro, so this is a sleeve that's only going to work with the 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models from 2016 and on.

When not in use, the Sleeve can be used as a little mat for your MacBook Pro, protecting it from the surface beneath. Unfortunately, there's no access to the USB-C port when the MacBook Pro is in the Sleeve, so it can't be used while charging.

All in all, the Leather Sleeve is going to offer up protection from scratches and bumps, but there's no drop protection here. Most people may want to go with a cheaper option, but at the $179 to $199 price point, Apple hasn't skimped on quality.

What do you think of Apple's Leather Sleeves for the MacBook Pro? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New Leather Sleeve for the 15-Inch MacBook Pro
[doublepost=1533676851][/doublepost]This is absurdly priced. As much as I’d like to buy one, I don’t think I will. $199 is too much.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I paid $150 for their saddle brown Apple Watch band without hesitation. I use it much less than my other bands, but I’d still buy it again.

I’m obviously the target audience and see the beauty in their sleeves, but not enough functionality to own one.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA

A “hands on” article for an over-priced laptop sleeve?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Nice looking case but too pricey for my liking. That Midnight Blue almost looks like Cosmos Blue now. Didn't it used to be more of a navy blue? How does that compare IRL? That would be kinda tempting because I love that color so much. Maybe it's just because my Cosmos Blue iPhone X case has darkened over time.

Now I do understand that it might be a little difficult when you insert your MacBook for the first time…
Oh boy.

Reactions: orbital~debris

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Probably less than the leather sleeve.
[doublepost=1533678525][/doublepost]My issue with this sleeve is not so much the premium price (which we've all come to expect from Apple), but the seeming lack of quality of the product. The consensus seems to be among those who have handled one is that it doesn't "feel" like a $200 product. Gruber said it felt like a subpar leather product when compared to Apple's leather cases for the iPhone and iPad. That tells me that if they made the MacBook leather sleeve out of the same quality leather that the iPhone and iPad cases use, they probably would've ended up charging $400 or more. Even the people that make those decisions at Apple probably thought that price sounded ludicrous for a laptop sleeve so they opted for a lesser quality product which they decided to sell for $200.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.