Hands-On With Apple's New Leather Sleeve for the 15-Inch MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

When Apple introduced refreshed MacBook Pro models back in July, the company also debuted new Leather Sleeves that are designed to fit 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models.

In our latest YouTube video, we went hands-on with one of the new Leather Sleeves to see whether or not they're worth the $179 to $199 price tag.

Available in Midnight Blue, Saddle Brown, and Black, the Leather Sleeves are similar to the previously available Leather Sleeves for the 12-inch MacBook lineup. The colors match some of the colors of Apple's Leather iPhone case options.

Apple's Leather Sleeves are simple and no-frills, made from a high-quality European leather with careful stitching around the outer edges and an Apple logo front and center. Inside, there's a soft microfiber lining.

Four circles at the bottom of the sleeve match the feet of the MacBook Pro, so this is a sleeve that's only going to work with the 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models from 2016 and on.

When not in use, the Sleeve can be used as a little mat for your MacBook Pro, protecting it from the surface beneath. Unfortunately, there's no access to the USB-C port when the MacBook Pro is in the Sleeve, so it can't be used while charging.

All in all, the Leather Sleeve is going to offer up protection from scratches and bumps, but there's no drop protection here. Most people may want to go with a cheaper option, but at the $179 to $199 price point, Apple hasn't skimped on quality.

What do you think of Apple's Leather Sleeves for the MacBook Pro? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New Leather Sleeve for the 15-Inch MacBook Pro

2. Mimiron, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018

Mimiron macrumors newbie

3. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

If the price wasn't enough, I don't really see any need in a thing like that if it doesn't have a zipper or anything to close the laptop inside.

4. Danoc, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 6:34 AM
  5. PeterKG macrumors 6502

The feet would line up if you put the MacBook Pro inside front first. Then the charging port would be available for use.

6. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

7. walstib macrumors newbie

walstib

I bought the saddle brown model when I got one of the new 2018 MacBook Pros.

It fits snugly, like a glove. It seems a bit pricey for what it is, but it is nice and does the job.

I think my preference would be for thicker leather.

And $129 or $149 seems more appropriate.

8. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

9. Mimiron macrumors newbie

price?

10. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

I bought one with my 2018 MacBook Pro. It is definitely quality, but I wish the stitching was internal. Carrying the MacBook Pro around in this from the bottom gets uncomfortable after a short while as the weight of the laptop and the sharp edge stitching digs into your fingers while holding it.

11. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502a

This is most ridiculously overpriced thing Apple has ever made.

12. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

According to Jeff at 9to5, you can put the MBP in the case the opposite way, slide it out a little, then you can technically charge it in the case. The MBP won't be fully in the case, but hey...

13. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

14. Crow KC, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018

Crow KC macrumors member

Crow KC

Haven't found any other cases as high of quality, you say?

Kasper Maison Envelope Sleeve. Very high-quality Italian leather/stitching, foldover flap with magnetic closure that holds the laptop in better, allows for charging the laptop while in the sleeve, allows for comfortable carrying with no sharp edge by holding the foldover side down, and is just overall great. Been using mine for almost a year and a half regularly and it still looks fantastic. $140.

Much as I like Apple, this is indeed too overpriced. But then, I think their iPhone cases are too. The leather wallet case I use for mine does cost more than the Apple cases, but it is more than twice as much material and is superior to any case product sold in the Apple Store. Nearly two years of hard use and it's still looking great. It's a Bonaventura Folio. I paid $160; looks like current pricing is less.

Both can be found on Amazon.

15. Kirb112 macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2018 ---
    This is absurdly priced. As much as I’d like to buy one, I don’t think I will. $199 is too much.

16. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

I paid $150 for their saddle brown Apple Watch band without hesitation. I use it much less than my other bands, but I’d still buy it again.

I’m obviously the target audience and see the beauty in their sleeves, but not enough functionality to own one.

17. RSmith2023 macrumors regular

RSmith2023

A “hands on” article for an over-priced laptop sleeve?

18. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Nice looking case but too pricey for my liking. That Midnight Blue almost looks like Cosmos Blue now. Didn't it used to be more of a navy blue? How does that compare IRL? That would be kinda tempting because I love that color so much. Maybe it's just because my Cosmos Blue iPhone X case has darkened over time.

Oh boy.

19. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I have no problem with price if the quality is there. Only issue Im having with that sleeve is lack of opening for charging. Also I think external edges are kind of sharp. I would rather prefer internal stitching. Beside that its very nice.

20. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Probably less than the leather sleeve.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2018 ---
    My issue with this sleeve is not so much the premium price (which we've all come to expect from Apple), but the seeming lack of quality of the product. The consensus seems to be among those who have handled one is that it doesn't "feel" like a $200 product. Gruber said it felt like a subpar leather product when compared to Apple's leather cases for the iPhone and iPad. That tells me that if they made the MacBook leather sleeve out of the same quality leather that the iPhone and iPad cases use, they probably would've ended up charging $400 or more. Even the people that make those decisions at Apple probably thought that price sounded ludicrous for a laptop sleeve so they opted for a lesser quality product which they decided to sell for $200.

21. Rorosbutt macrumors 6502

Aren’t the cut outs so you can access the ports???

22. walstib macrumors newbie

walstib

That’s the truth!

23. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

24. socialwill macrumors member

No, no it is not!

I give you the iPod Sock.
    [​IMG]

25. drumcat macrumors 6502

drumcat

Nothing quite like dead animal skin to "luxuriously" cover your tech when not in use. Sorry, I'm not against leather in general, but it seems so... out of place for this.