Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eight years ago today, Steve Jobs passed away from pancreatic cancer at the age of 56, one day after somewhat subdued Apple executives introduced the iPhone 4s at a media event on the company's Infinite Loop headquarters campus.

jobs.jpg

As he traditionally does, Apple CEO Tim Cook today marked the anniversary of Jobs' death with a tweet, sharing a Jobs quote and a photo of him at the iconic cube at Apple's Fifth Avenue retail store in New York City.

Apple continues to maintain its "Remembering Steve" page highlighting a few of the over one million submissions from people around the world who "shared their memories, thoughts, and feelings about Steve."

Article Link: Tim Cook Remembers Steve Jobs on 8th Anniversary of His Death

Last edited:
Reactions: Locke Cole

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Tim is Boss now and Apple is a Billion Dollar Company. How could this happen? What did Tim wrong? Nothing but some people still say it would be better if it would be different. Steve Jobs was and is a huge figure for Apple but he passed away 8 years ago and apple did just fine without him.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Tim Cook isn’t the technological visionary Jobs was, but nobody else is either. And to be fair, there have been many products I have loved since Jobs passed like the iPhone 5S, 6S Plus, 7 Plus and my XR. I love my iPad Pro and the three Apple Watches I’ve had as well. They are still making some truly great products and industry leading hardware in spite of the loss of Jobs 8 years ago.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Tim is Boss now and Apple is a Billion Dollar Company. How could this happen? What did Tim wrong? Nothing but some people still say it would be better if it would be different. Steve Jobs was and is a huge figure for Apple but he passed away 8 years ago and apple did just fine without him.
I don't think many people here think Tim is doing a bad job, but the "vibe" around Apple had changed.. and many agree that this changed Apple is not for the better.

See miniroll32's post a few posts above. That describes it nicely IMHO.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
The bottom line is...without Steve the world wouldn't be the same. He will go down in history as one of the greatest inventors of all time. He transformed so many industries and so many lives. That smartphone we all enjoy in our pocket would not have been the same without Steve. The iPhone may be the single greatest invention of our generation. He laid the foundation for Apple, and the team has continued to build upon Steve's successes. You can't expect Apple to innovate or operate the way Steve did when he was alive because a personality and genius like Steve is rare. His legacy will live on forever.

Cyprusian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Steve Jobs had time to plan for his untimely exit including a forward roadmap for Apple to enable his vision to endure for some time after his death. It may be interesting for some to speculate where that roadmap ends and the next iteration takes over the journey. Wherever the road leads, its creator may be out sight, but never forgotten.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
As much as I like Tim and he's done some great things for Apple—they always did their best when Steve was in charge.

I always wondered how many of the messages on the Remembering Steve page are backlogged, or how many are current?

Back in Steve's day every everything was a "miracle". It's harder for Tim and Apple now to really wow us. But I do really miss Steve's rollouts.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It would be about where it is today.

I agree. I think the software issues may be less prevalent and I'm not sure how willing he would have been to ship features months after the launch of iOS devices, but Apple had to follow the market with OS redesigns and larger devices.

Reactions: B4U and mikeleeuk

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Yikes at the not ironic use of the phrase social justice warriors.
I guess I can only be happy modern day Apple pisses off people like this.
It did feel like they put some people up there for no other reason than to make sure they had a diverse set of speakers. They might all do great jobs, but some of them clearly weren’t great at speaking to a large audience. Doesn’t really bother me since 90% of the keynote is about stuff that doesn’t interest me anyways.

As weird as it might sound, Jobs probably died at the “right” time since innovation and progress was huge with smartphones early on, but has clearly gone down. I’m not sure he could have done much more than Apple has since.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I agree. I think the software issues may be less prevalent and I'm not sure how willing he would have been to ship features months after the launch of iOS devices, but Apple had to follow the market with OS redesigns and larger devices.

Also, Apple is pretty much beholden to Intel, which speaks to why we see rather mediocre improvements in processing power year over year.

Apple does try to compensate in the area of I/O, offering prodigious rates and flexibility, leading and staying ahead of competitors.

Regarding iOS and features that came to market late, that was also true under Jobs as well; especially the first few years after the iPhone was introduced in 2007. Copy and paste comes immediately to mind, being announced in 2009.

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
These people don't care about Apple or Steve Jobs. They are just riding on the coat tails of history. Here's the evidence.

Apple under Steve Jobs
Laptops and desktops as fast or faster than PCs
Laptops and desktops becoming more affordable and competitively priced
OS X faster and more bug free than Windows
Bugs fixed quickly
Updates to Power Mac/Mac Pro regularly
Operating systems not called 'GM' when they are rough beta
Wide choice of industry standard and third party hardware upgrades
Slower and high quality release cycles
Industry standard graphics APIs with similar performance as PCs
Serve users first and then shareholders

Apple after Steve Jobs
Throttling **** badly designed laptops
T2 disaster controller /sound chip with bugs that Apple won't even acknowledge
macOS slower than Windows in every possible way
Bugs fixed after 10000 complaints from users
Almost impossible to upgrade anything
Much slower graphics APIs and GPU performance than PCs
New operating systems released in poor condition
Updates to Mac Pro after 6 years and it is massively slow crap compared to even a $2000 PC
Apps and services worse than the competition
Serve shareholders first and screw users

They won't change until we stop buying. The problem isn't just Apple. The tech industry is abusive. They don't care if their services make life expensive and hard for common working people. If Uber slows traffics and increases pollution or if AirBNB or WeWork makes rent unaffordable, they don't give a damn. They just want to fill their pockets up. Then politicians see the tech industry getting away with these abuses and think....hey we can do that too.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
His legacy endures. ?

doubtful! His presence will never be forgotten always remembered. Tim Cooks JOB his ONLY Job is to ensure his legacy never aulters!

2019:
Horrible & ongoing MBP Laptop Keyboard issues!
Siri still barely able to keep up on innovative advancements vs younger competitors from the biggest competitors Apple has and Apple led this space!
iphone 11 Pro - we got a very good 3rd camera but barely an improvement over the XS.
iOS 13 ... 4 updates in 10 days ... what is going on Craig F? Wtf!?
This is just to name a few things.

... and yet this late September Apple has the gaul to state “innovation”?!

Microsoft ... steady and continuously is KILLING IT! Yes I’m aware this is the tit-for-tat, the Ying & Yang that every few years Apple leads the industry then its Microsoft.

yet this October’s announcement ... even while ignoring the Neo and the larger/smaller phone/tablet announcements ... yet ...

80% charged in 1 hour in a 15” laptop!
Quick n rapid access components within serviceability!
Proper keyboard!
No rubber seal around the screen & hopefully no issues with key impressions on the screen from closure(?)
The latest processors with every version.
* Apple why does the 13” MB “PROOOOO” still only have the Intel Iris GPU?! Not all your customers want 15” when fully portable!

And ... no repeateded BS slogans and made up words every damn keynote “the best <insert product name> we’ve ever made” (morons you’re the ONLY company that makes this product!), “this is just blowaway” (not a damn word!), “you’re going to love this” (you would hope so). This is insulting especially from a company who has 3 product services that emphasizes literature!! Anyone else feels like an idiot with the first two phrases above?!

Apple where is the real innovation or creativity?! Time to spend at least half a million for a TRULY independent look into your company processes how your employees feel about management, colleagues, direction services, HR being FULLY independent from board members, CEO, and executives (recall ongoing and recent issues with Googles brass?!).

I like Apple’s synergy between theirproducts n services yet there is such huge misses that continue before launching new ones. Such as iMessage/SMS on Watch ... when I delete on Watch or iPhone or on macOS why the HELL is it NOT sync’d between the two?!

why still no macOS on a touchscreen?! If the Surface Pro 7 has Thunderbolt you’re going to see a LOT of corporations potentially support that product vs your Macs which have always had issues.

speaking about Thunderbolt ... when docked to a screen or your wireless keyboards why can I NOT power on the laptop without having to open the laptop lid a minimum 45%?! Arrgh!
For the very first time in 12yrs I’m heavily considering another laptop and forgoing getting iPad Pro that I’ve always wanted.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Baloney, Tim "Me Too" Cook would not rise to the level of dust on Steve's boot soles.

Yet here we are, with Apple having many millions of repeat customers, willing to open their wallets and purchase outstanding and premium-priced products and services, year after year after year, enabling Apple to enjoy the success and recognition it today enjoys.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
As ‘The One Device’ by Brian Merchant told us the iPhone was never a singular idea from a single person but it took Steve’s drive and design ethics to push it through Apple.

I can’t remember feeling particularly sad about any other celebrity death but I’ll always remember where I was and how shocked I was when Steve died.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.